1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....isn't that even more reason to have the best WR corps possible?

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That just gave me happy thoughts, but I wonder if Suh would mind being in a 3-4 system since he has done the 4-3 for all his NFL career.

Also just can't see the Texans giving another defensive linemen $20+million a year when they just gave Watt his contract

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maybe no?

A mediocre QB isn't going to be able to go through his reads quick enough or consistently enough to utilize and keep multiple receivers happy and productive.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yeah, I dont see it either, but it's fun to fantasize.

I always figure with better cap management and the rise of the salary cap, it's possible to make it work. Having a Suh and Watt combo is absolutely devastating. And imagine if Clowney is 80% of what he was supposed to be.

Starting in 2016, JJ Watt's cap hit will be between 12.5 and 15 million until 2020...then in 2021 it will be 17.5 million. In other words, it's really not a back breaker contract at all. The difficult part of that contract will be swallowed up this upcoming season (22 million), but then we've got some major flexibility moving forward.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wish we'd go after Julius Thomas.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The more targets a QB has, the easier it is for them. If you have Tom Brady, you can make due with just whatever you scrape together but if you are going to run with Mallett or Fitz you probably should give them as many really good targets as possible.

7. rezdawg

I dont see BOB wanting that either...but I think that's a shame.

If we had a stud QB, it's okay if you dont have stellar receivers (see Brady)...but when you are going to battle with what we've got, then you need to surround your QB with all the help you can get.

Brandon Marshall is a legit red zone threat, something this team has pretty much never had. Just throw it up. If Cutler didnt have Brandon, the guy would have been benched years ago.

8. Buck Turgidson

Other than JJ Watt, you mean.

I never really understood why Andre wasn't a better red zone target, it's not like he lacks the size.

9. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

We've had a legit red zone threat for 12 years but for some reason we never threw it to him in the end zone.

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Oh man that would be amazing especially if Mercilus could live up to his first round status. Can't double team them all! Opposing QBs would freaking hate us, lol

11. rezdawg

Yes, it's a given that Watt is the best at any position on the field, so it's not even worth mentioning at this point.

I think there are two parts to the Andre equation. First, I dont think he ever got enough red zone targets under Kubiak. We rarely tossed it up to the corner of the end zone in one on one coverage and allowed him to go get it.

On the other hand, he's listed at 6'3...but probably around 6'2. So, he's not as tall and lanky as you'd want a receiver to be on a corner route in the endzone. From watching Marshall play, his body control during those redzone targets, along with his timing on the jumps, is impeccable. He's also got the 6'4 frame and solid extension to just go and get it.

I think Andre could have done better under different circumstances, but he still has deficiencies when compared to someone like Marshall.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans have most assuredly had a legit red zone threat - he just wasn't a WR.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Foster, Watt, and Fitzpatrick.

14. rezdawg

Well, when I made that comment, I meant from a wide out.

But Foster is a stud when it comes to the red zone. Problem with a lot of our issues in the Red Zone under Kubiak was that the defense knew Foster was our only legit red zone guy...so they capitalized on that.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Doubtful. Sounds like BOB is going to fully transition his offensive system.
    Everyone's aware Gary Kubiak is no longer the Texans' coach, right?

The model is:
    DeAndre Hopkins = Randy Moss
    The role of Andre Johnson = Dontae Stallworth
    Brian Hartline = Wes Welker

I'd be willing to bet that was BOB's selling point to Hartline, "Be my Welker; catch 85-90 balls and help us move the chains." Again, it would go a long way to explain the idea behind AJ's role being reduced. The WR hierarchy is probably: WR1, WR3, TE, RB, WR2.

16. Fantasma Negro

Texans might finally get on the NFL off-season arrest report for a change LoL
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ipping-out-on-20k-bill-for-car-customization/

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a solid bet. Andre in his current state just doesn't fit the mold of what BOB wants to do on offense, also when he's out there the QB is more likely to force a bad pass his way as opposed to finding a better option.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dreeson

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If Cooper falls past 7, is it possible the Texans could trade up to get him? Obviously WR isn't the #1 priority, but a guy like Cooper is probably a future star.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Only if they've resigned Kareem, Lewis, and Newton; cut Graham, and signed Julius Thomas.