1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I keep seeing them mentioned and don't see the logic. They were a yard away from being back-to-back champions with Doug Baldwin as their top WR. They're going to have to pay Russell Wilson sooner rather than later (and have a lot of other youngs who are going to want to get paid). Not to mention, they're a run-first/defensive-minded team.

I think it'd be an absolutle waste of money for them to sign Andre Johnson (unless he's willing to play for cheap, which I don't think is a priority for him).

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's his only play left. Everyone knows that the Texans no longer want AJ so why trade for a player when he'll soon be a free agent after he's released? That $18M salary kills any realistic trade possibilities anyway.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now you're talking! It simply makes zero financial sense to pay AJ $18M when they don't have a franchise QB. A lot of us saw this set of events coming last year. It is very sad given what AJ has done and meant to the Texans but it is an inevitability in to today's NFL. Just look at all of the veterans getting cut this offseason. And you are correct: next year it will Cushing's and BabyDaddy's turn on the trade/chopping block. I see BoB following the NE model which means getting younger, cheaper players.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

This. Makes no sense for the Texans to flat out release him so he can go there and ram it down the our throats twice a year. Trade him to the Raiders.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Everyone saying this was a great move is missing the point. This isn't about his cap figure or his salary. It is about the way it was handled. Apparently they didn't even offer him a paycut or a restructure; they just threatened to bench him. Who does that? I would even have more respect for them if they went to him and said "sorry we have to cut you". That's almost like forcing someone to quit their job by demoting them. Just fire them gracefully. What if Andre just said "okay" and collected his check as he stayed on the bench? lol I personally think Andre can still play and help the team but I understand if the team disagrees; especially with the amount he was getting paid. They must have some agreement with a FA that gives them confidence to make this decision. Julius Thomas or Randall Cobb, maybe.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I'd like for Indy to waste money on Andre. It's money that can't be spent more intelligently to help their team.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think they need their cap space for Wilson. Andre isn't going to be super cheap. That's why I didn't mention them or New England.

Colts probably have a shot especially if Wayne isn't re-signed since they have cap space and a need.

I can see the Ravens as well since they really need a WR too.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If a team gives him 10mil he will make the same as he would this year.

9. Hey Now!

You've thus far only heard Andre's side of the story; my guess is that this was a two-step process: 1) are you willing to (potentially) take a reduced role? If yes, 2) then you have to take a paycut.

He said no to #1 so there was no reason to talk money. I obviously don't know this for a fact but it seems pretty intuitively obvious.

People are continuing to overvalue the WR position and, specifically, Andre Johnson while underrating DeAndre Hopkins.

They didn't release 2008 Andre Johnson. They released a 34-year old WR coming off what was a below-average season who is clearly no longer the best WR on this team, let alone the NFL, who is nonetheless set to be paid as if he still is.

10. Hey Now!

Is everyone aware it's no longer 2008? TY Hilton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Andre Johnson, and it's not even close. That guy is not only scary good but he's already on a short-list of all-time Texan killers. If they want to allocate 2-3 balls a game to AJ that might otherwise be to Hilton, I'm OK with that...

11. Hey Now!

If the Colts were smart - and that remains to be seen - they'd use as much of that cash as humanly possible to frontload a 5,000-year contract extension for Andrew Luck.

So if they want to waste $10MM on Andre Johnson to be their second-best WR, who are we to tell them not to?

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

They can offer just a two year contract to Andre. They have the cap money this year. They still have $$ for a RB or they can draft one in the 1st Rd and sign FA for other positions.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope they do. God forbid they spend money to fix their defense.

14. Hey Now!

They threw for more yards than any other team in football last year with Reggie Wayne's corpse starting opposite TY Hilton, who went 82/1,345/7. Their two TEs combined for 80/1,200 and 16 TDs.

I hope they DO waste money on needlessly upgrading WR2. In terms of priority, if they have it any higher than 50th, they're fools.

15. Hey Now!

I listen to the The Ticket from Dallas every morning; they were discussing the LeSean McCoy deal today and eventually started hyperventilating about the prospect of the Eagles swooping in and stealing DeMarco Murray.

This idea of a player leaving your favorite team and immediately signing with your biggest rival must be an ingrained fear in every sports fan, no matter how little sense it makes. Why would the Eagles jettison 27-YO McCoy, in large part to get out of paying him, and turn right around and dump a bunch of cash on a 27-YO RB? But, man oh man, does it have Cowboy fans worried.

I can't imagine the Colts have placed a high priority on WR2.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Their defense would suck anyway try to go all out on offense.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm sure he'll get over it.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Uh, yeah. Not exactly gonna throw a party if the Colts sign Andre.

Yes, their defense is average and the most pressing need, but it's not like teams haven't won the Superbowl with average defenses lately.

Hilton, Johnson, Fleener, and Allen would be filthy.

Give Luck a good pass catching/blocking back and his arm might damn near fall off.

19. Hey Now!

Also not terribly uncommon for teams to win a Super Bowl with below average receivers, which is how you would rate New England's, Seattle's and Baltimore's.

Hilton, Fleener, and Allen are already filthy.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of course he will. Doesn't make it right. And it doesn't mean other FAs won't remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.