1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Huh? Our OL was pretty good.

We need QB and LB. Maybe DL

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
    Last one of the night: TE Maxx Williams gets a late 2nd, early 3rd rd grade, probably goes early 2nd due to desperation at the position.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
    Maxx has enough speed to pull away from LBs. At his best on drags & flares. Natural hands catcher w/ big mitts.

Still to early to guess:
    http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...es-World/49fb3bac-cb3e-4433-8d6c-4caba8b424d0

Cornerback was the most-selected position the experts had the Texans taking. Seven had a corner landing in Houston, and Michigan State's Trae Waynes was picked six times by those experts.
    Pick breakdown (28 mocks)
    CB: 7 (25%)
    OT: 6 (21%)
    LB: 4 (14%)
    S: 4 (14%)
    DL: 3 (11%)
    RB: 2 (7%)
    WR & TE each with 1 apiece for 4% each

Website (Writer) Pick Latest Mock Last Mock
    ESPN.com (Todd McShay) OL Andrus Peat, Stanford
    ESPN.com (Mel Kiper) OL Ereck Flowers, Miami (FL)
    NFL.com (Daniel Jeremiah) CB Jalen Collins, LSU
    NFL.com (Bucky Brooks) WR Devante Parker, Louisville
    NFL.com (Charles Davis) RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
    NFL.com (Lance Zierlein) OLB Bud Dupree, Kentucky
    SportsIllustrated.com (Chris Burke) OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
    CBSSports.com (Rob Rang) S Landon Collins, Alabama
    CBSSports.com (Dane Brugler) DT Malcom Brown, Texans
    CBSSports.com (Pat Kirwan) S Landon Collins, Alabama
    Bleacher Report (Matt Miller) LB Bud Dupree, Kentucky Feb.
    Josh Norris (Rotoworld/NBC Sports) DT Eddie Goldman, Florida State
    Yahoo! Sports (Eric Edholm) CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
    FOXSports.com (Peter Schrager) OL La'El Collins
    Bleacher Report (Tyler Conway) CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
    Optimum Scouting (Eric Galko) OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    Bleacher Report (Tim Daniels) OL La'El Collins, LSU
    Bleacher Report (Donald Wood) TE Max Williams, Minnesota
    Bleacher Report (Sean O'Donnell) S Landon Collins, Alabama
    Bleacher Report (Matt Fitzgerald) OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    Bleacher Report (R. Cory Smith) S Landon Collins, Alabama
    Bleacher Report (Tim Keeney) CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
    OurLads.com CB Ladarius Gunter, Miami, FL
    WalterFootball.com RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
    SB Nation (Dan Kadar) LB Shaq Thompson, Washington
    DraftCountdown.com (Scott Wright) CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State
    DraftTek.com DT Malcom Brown, Texas
    DraftScout247.com CB Trae Waynes, Michigan State

#122 Dubious, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Posted this a while back but can't recall an off-season where we had so many starters as FAs. Assuming we resign Mallett, CB and NT instantly become number 1 priorities if we don't resign Kareem or Pickett IMO.

Kareem Jackson
    Brooks Reed
    Derek Newton
    Tim Jamison
    Ryan Mallett
    Akeem Dent
    Jeff Tarpinian
    Jerrell Powe
    Kendrick Lewis
    Danieal Manning
    Damaris Johnson
    Cody White
    Eddie Pleasant
    Ryan Pickett
    John Simon
    Case Keenum

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we cut Andre Johnson and sign Mallett and KJax as such I think our top priorities in the draft will be WR, CB, and O line

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As much as I hate the idea of Andre not on the Texans, I think this is exactly what we should do. Deep WR draft. May even be able to get an Amari Cooper, Kevin White, or Devante Parker which would be huge.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish he'd just retire because I don't like the idea of him playing anywhere else either and his situation is that he's nowhere near worth his cap hit and probably unlikely to take the huge pay cut that it would take to keep him around. Sadly the 9 million dollars the team can save by cutting him is worth more than he is as a player at this point.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

NT can't be as big a need as OLB or ILB. You have Nix and Powe on the roster. Right now, you have Mercilus and Simon as your OLBs.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Keep Andre, resign Kareem, cut JJo and Graham. If Mallet asks for too much money, let him go.

or

if Andre agrees to restructuring, restructure both him and JJo

9. gucci888

Powe is an UFA and rumor is that we are not counting on Nix.

10. gucci888

I really like all three but most likely gone by #16. Seems to be a big drop off after these guys too.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd love to keep him. I think he's worth 5 million a year with a decent to good quarterback and about 3 million without one. If we can get him down to that range, I'd love to keep him. I think he's got some borderline pro bowl football left in him.

In the "picks I'd love to make, but we'll never make" category, I'd love to see us go with Bud Dupree out of Kentucky. I think this kid can be a steal at 16. I think he's going to be a very good pro.

#131 Two Sandwiches, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

WR just became priority #1 in the draft. However if Devante Parker, Amari Cooper or Kevin White don't fall to #16, and I don't think they will, WR will probably be our second round pick.

The answer to losing AJ would be Dorial Green-Beckham but I don't think the Texans would risk taking on a character issue. I would, but I would invest in his character management, assign him a life coach, and tail him 24/7 with a security team.

WR's:
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php

Jalen Strong could work.
    Phillip Dorsett could be our speed guy for Mallet to throw deep to.
    Funchess could be our Gronk.
    Tyler Lockett impressed me every time I watched him.

14. Fantasma Negro

This should be our second round pick:
    [​IMG]
    40 YARD DASH: 4.44 SEC
    VERTICAL JUMP: 42.0 INCH
    BROAD JUMP: 123.0 INCH
    Strengths
    Good combination of height, weight and arm length for the position. Former high school basketball player who knows how to keep defenders on his hip. Drives back to the ball from top of the route. Adjusts routes in space. Developed nifty inside release to defeat press. Comfortable from slot, using varying route tempo for separation. Tracks ball well. Good strength in hands and makes contested catches. Decent leaper who will climb the ladder for a catch or sink and secure low throw. Strong lower body and physical after catch. Sun Devils used him frequently on shallow crossers, bubble screens and hitches.
    Weaknesses
    Still raw and learning to play the position. Allows too many throws into his frame and ball will beat him up at times on crossers. Not twitchy or sudden as an athlete. Long-strider who takes a while to build up speed. Play speed average at best. Rarely gets separation deep against man-to-man. Routes need improvement. Forced to make a substantial amount of contested throws. Corners don't fear his speed and are able to sit on underneath throws.
    Sources Tell Us
    "He's not going to run fast, but it won't matter because any team who drafts him is going to have a plan for him. When he has a quarterback who can throw him open, his speed won't matter much. I love him." -- NFC West scout
    NFL Comparison
    Dwayne Bowe
    Bottom Line
    Individual elements of Strong's game aren't awe-inspiring, but scouts really love the entirety of his game and where it is headed. His strength, size and ability to catch contested throws will be coveted by some, but his issues with separation quickness can only be solved if he becomes much better in his route-running. Strong looks the part of a physical, possession receiver with a relatively high floor.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No it didn't.

Need to see what happens with our secondary... this is a great draft for CB's.

Also still desperate for help at ILB.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Agreed. In fact, I'm not even sure it moved up at all. QB remains priorty #1. After that, CB (if they lose KJ and/or cut JJo), the interior line on both sides and LB all rank ahead of WR.

Having two great WRs is a luxury and by no means a necessity (look no further than last month's SB). Hopkins is a terrific WR and they can find someone to supplement him fairly easily.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You'd still draft a QB with a first round pick if they re-sign Mallet?

I think its pretty clear they're working towards bringing Mallet back... there's mutual interest there.

If that falls through, then maybe they make a move up to get Marriota... but it would likely cost them a ton.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about it just in draft terms (oblivious to the thread topic). I don't think they'll draft a QB under any circumstances. If Mallet bolts, they're bringing Fitzpatrick back and loading up everywhere else.

19. Fantasma Negro

They should cut Joseph and re sign Kareem. Then hope Trae Waynes or the Alabama safety is still there at 16

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That will likely be the plan if Kareem agrees... but he has to agree at a number that won't cripple flexibility.

If he gets a larger offer elsewhere, they'll have to hang on to Joseph.