1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014/2015 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, May 19, 2014.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

They let up in the 2nd half. They started only trying more after Aguero scored.

I think what's good about the team right now is Messi's on that other-worldly level, Pique returning to all-world form, Busquets finally manning the mid-field, and Suarez/Neymar taking turns to help out Messi.

This team hasn't peaked yet. Once Iniesta returns, and Neymar AND Suarez both clicking with Messi, we will be very hard to beat.

I'm excited for the return leg. Messi will be freaking pissed.

2. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I was pissed that we changed two of our starting 4 in defense from the Newcastle game. Mangala and Kolarov should have been in there. It sucked watching Demichelis sliding in so late on Barcelona's second goal.

Other than that maybe we would have been better off playing Aguero alone up top and swapping Dzeko for Fernandinho to give us more of a presence in the midfield.

Sucks to lose at home and while its super unlikely we get the result we need to advance in Spain, at least Hart's save at the end gives us some hope. If we had lost 3-1 than we were absolutely done.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

We should stop the talk that PL is the best league. 3rd best in England losing badly to 4th best in France? C'mon man.

4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

They did let up in the second half, that was evident, but that was my point. In the past they wouldn't have let up, they were hungry for more and more. In any case, Pique does seem to be back to top form, Messi and Ney have been clicking for a couple of months now and Suarez finally seems to be scoring. Weak links right now are RB and creation in the midfield. Iniesta seems to be coming back to his norma self but Rakitic needs to step up a bit. You can tell there's lack of creation when Messi is the first one to touch the ball from the CB's. Hopefully we don't concede an early goal in the return leg.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Spanish league has been best for many years, everyone with a clue knows it and all International competitions show it. Don't get why so many PL fans and "experts" claim otherwise, English teams have been crap for a long time now vs. international competition, with Chelsea being the exception.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Every time an EPL team loses a CL game you guys bring up this same **** and then when an EPL team wins a CL game its crickets chirping.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I don't say anything after 1 game but I would say something after the champion is crowned. This is simple to explain, EPL has the most competitive league but internationally there are better teams.

UCL winners in the 21st century..
    Madrid
    Bayern
    Madrid
    Milan
    Porto
    Liverpool
    Barca
    Milan
    Man Utd
    Barca
    Inter
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Bayern
    Madrid

Spain: 6
    Italy: 3
    England:3
    Germany: 2
    Portugal: 1

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Look up the performances of the last years, it's a fact, can't hide from it.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not just winners, the picture is devastating for England if you look at how far the teams come each season. Chelsea has been the only team doing anything recently.

1 person likes this.
  10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My argument is never that the top teams in other leagues aren't better than the top teams in England, obviously the Spanish giants, the Bayerns, the PSGs all have formidable squads who can prevail over any English team. But you guys consistently act like that is somehow proof that the EPL is an inferior league as a whole.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We're looking at their performances vs. itnernational competition, other than Chelsea (and Ferguson ManU) no English team had a deep run in CL or EL in last years, EL&CL have been completely dominated by Spain, and Germany is catching up.

12. smr6

smr6 Member

Demba Ba almost knocked Liverpool out of the Europa League but hit the crossbar. Going to extra time now after a tie on aggregate.

13. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Lovern just sent Liverpool home...ffs.

1 person likes this.
  14. smr6

smr6 Member

Tottenham out of Europa League and Liverpool out on penalties.

1 person likes this.
  15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I hate Lovren.

1 person likes this.
  16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

So I guess you don't.... Lov him

hahaha oh dear

1 person likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Arsenal and City might as well be counted out, too. As I said, Chelsea is the only team doing damage in Europe, the other English teams play like sh#t in International competition.

18. Ismail

Ismail Member

It is so fascinating to see the evolution of Brendan Rodgers. The man went from basically doing no wrong last season to being (somewhat rightfully) criticized for everything that goes wrong with Liverpool. Also Lovren's decline as an overall player is interesting; he hasn't looked anything like the player at Southampton.

Can't help but think what Liverpool would be like right now had Gerrard not slipped.

19. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Sturridge and Sterling were both disappointing, and BR has been a straight up Prick to Balo. Balo was our best attacking threat actually doing the right things, and he is the one that gets subbed. Honestly I wouldnt mind cashing on Sterling,but I dont trust BR with those funds. ):

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Premier Teams play strategies to beat other PL teams because the league has such quality on the lower end. European teams, even mid-level teams from lesser leagues (France, Italy, etc) strategize to beat the best Euro teams because CL and EL are more important for many teams. So crappy continental teams can expose PL defenses because, for whatever reason, they only set themselves up as if they are facing English teams and tactics.

Obviously Mourinho is the outlier. Even when he was gone the Chelsea defensive identity was based on his previous tenure with Terry, Cahill, Cole, etc.

Man City has talent but they play in a way where they want Aguero, Toure, David-Silva, and Kompany to dominate and win the game at their levels. No real identity and strategy on a Broader level (especially playing against Barca who basically used Messi to destroy City's midfield and still had Suarez and Neymar up top - both equal or better than Aguero as attacking threats and obviously both capable of besting Kompany).

Arsenal has terrible defense that only recently figured out the PL but obviously wasn't ready for CL. Liverpool is Liverpool - who knows what they will do on a week to week, month to month basis.