1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Only way I see a Deron Williams buyout happen is if it somehow helps the sale of their team through finances RIGHT NOW.

So the stretch provision is an interesting wrinkle here.

If my math serves me correctly, and I'm reading the CBAFAQ correctly, the Nets could waive him BUT they would still have NINE MILLION on the cap every year owed to Deron until the 2020/2021 season.

This really doesn't do much to help a smart new ownership want to buy the team or at least it wouldn't to me. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of money on my 2020 payroll.

As a New Owner I know this team has FOUR YEARS where it wont really be able to build through the draft. The sooner I can clear my cap the better, and taking a beating next year with the JJohnson Contract, and DWills contract sucks but at least you are looking at a clearer cap sooner rather than getting a portion wiped out, but still seeing residual effects for 5 more years.

IMO, the best thing that can happen to the Nets financially to help them sell the team is to take the hit again this year, and hope that Brook Lopez is healthy and leaves along with Thad Young next year to clear up cap.

Those two players opting out and signing elsewhere puts the Nets below the 2015/16 salary cap. As soon as next Summer you can maybe take a shot at a young player you could find undervalued in free agency on a mid sized deal that can blow up later (maybe a KJ McDaniels). JJohnson is an expiring contract you SHOULD be able to move next year or this Summer, and you really just have the last two years of the D-Will contract as your only real bad asset on the roster.

If D-Will gets back to being a somewhat effective player, he's definitely movable in the last year of his contract. When the cap goes up 22 million will be alot still in that final year, but its not nearly as daunting without other gnarly contracts on the books. If that's your one bad contract with a halfway decent player AND its expiring, the Nets could still do some interesting things with new ownership, and recouping some draft picks somewhere & finding young talent in overlooked places.

Long story short, I don't really see much benefit to waiving Deron Williams because his value is at its lowest and there is potential for his value to rise back up with change in the roster when turned over, new ownership, and new salary cap coming in. Waiving him just to waive him seems to serve nobody but D-Williams, and solve any lingering locker room issues.

#33861 dobro1229, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah right. A projectable young guard on a good contract on a team with old players and free agents to be at the guard spots?

That would be foolish.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

thats right, i forget that he talks a lot about the players. But who on that team would even get bought out? Theres is 0 chance Lawson gets bought out, so maybe Wilson Chandler? Faried? i seriosly cant see them being bought ou but i never saw J Smoove being waived either

4. malakas

malakas Member

Only problem Brolo won't opt out. He is injured all the time has lost his starting spot and he is overpaid even with the new cap.

5. malakas

malakas Member

other media darlings :
    Shaw SVG Vaughn(now fired) Karl Hollins Scott Clifford.

6. craguin

craguin Member

Gallinari?

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

honestly i only see Minny, Brooklyn and Denver buying players out

Maybe, but he's injury prone not sure he's worth cutting someone for

8. craguin

craguin Member

Kiszla: Focus for Nuggets now turns to Danilo Gallinari

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They don't need to do that. We have 15 players, cut Dorsey and convince Perkins to join us. Johnson has limited upside though, so if he has to be cut in order to
    in order for us to have a better chance to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs, then so be it.

10. justtxyank

Dorsey has $1+ owed to him next season. I really don't think Morey is going to do that for a marginal upgrade over a guy that barely plays, even though he is starting right now.

Would he cut Dorsey to add good player? Yes. Cut Dorsey to add Perkins? I'm going to guess the answer to that is no and that the insider will be wrong again.

In his interview yesterday, McHale sounded pretty unenthusiastic about adding someone that would be bought out.

11. BobbySura

BobbySura New Member

intriguing to see who gets waived or bought out. I dont see Dwill getting bought out. But we might have a shot at bringing Perkins home. Maybe Mcgee gets bought out by Philly. I know Blatche is coming back from China. NO telling what our plans are but there will be options out there to upgrade at C position. But im sure Morey knows we are in desperate need of another BIG body and do his best to bring someone else in. (or get destroyed in the paint in the playoffs again)

#InMoreyITrust

12. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Can we not just cut Pepperoni? Why cut somebody who doesn't deserve it

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd imagine if DWill is available, he becomes the cut but why would we trade Shved and not just cut him without losing picks?

14. justtxyank

Why would we cut a guy that we just gave 2 second round picks to get?

Prigioni is likely going to get real minutes as the backup PG going forward.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, no way Prigs gets cut.

16. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Are you really going to spend 10 pages trying to make sense out of a senseless post from a guy who was consistently wrong not even 24 hours ago?

17. justtxyank

It is baffling isn't it.

They want insider information. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

(rep for first person who gets the reference)

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

Alladin. Where's my point

1 person likes this.
  19. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

how exactly, was he "wrong"? we had plenty of conversations with teams, and we didn't pull the trigger on some things. It just didn't pan out. geezus these butthurt clutchfans

20. justtxyank

That's not where the quote is from but that's a funny answer so I'll give you a rep point anyway. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.