1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oklahoma House Panel Votes To Eliminate AP US History Course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Feb 17, 2015.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think many hard core conservatives don't understand that true love entails harsh criticism. My parents love me and they never were afraid to be blunt and critical. That's what parents do. If we truly love our country, being critical is an important step in improvement. Notice how when conservatives do become critical of the United States, they put the fall on Obama and label him has an"unAmerican Muslim" in order to place the blame outside of American influence. They want to portray Obama as an "outsider" who corrupting the essence of America.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think whitewashing history is one of those exceptional things about America. Quite the opposite.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, that sure as hell isn't ending up in any text books -- even in the liberal hell-scape that our education system apparently has become.

I would argue that Republicans outside of Oklahoma are not too far away from this -- especially here in Texas with the Text Book rewriting that was done a couple years ago. That sh** really almost drove me over the edge.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's a critical look at American history. Kind of what you would expect from a college course.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It gets better

Reagan speeches are required reading in Oklahoma bill to replace AP U.S. History

The bill, authored by Oklahoma Rep. Dan Fisher, designates a total of 58 documents that “shall form the base level of academic content for all United States History courses offered in the schools in the state.” Many of the texts are uncontroversial and undoubtedly covered by the Advanced Placement U.S. History course, such as the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and Gettysburg address. But the bill also has an ideological and religious bent. In addition to 3 speeches by Reagan, the curriculum as includes a speech by George W. Bush but nothing from any Democratic president since Lyndon Johnson.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree

Rocket River

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No, no difference at all. No sarcasm.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Maybe they can replace it with a special course on the Bible as literal history.

They have already passed a law to forbid Sharia Law in Oklahoma.

Just to be sure maybe a declaration that the Bible should be the supreme law of the state and not the Oklahoma and US Constitution.

#28 glynch, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. Remii

Remii Member

Depending on where you live.. Private schools may not be very accessible if at all.

I think they're just trying to dumb society down to make us more controllable so we will keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Just like you say people have to take more responsibility... Well we're going to have to take more responsibility on educating our children as well. Because the public school system is only concerned about test scores and not educating.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, that would be the Texas Legislature.

12. HamJam

Big time agreement.

That is one of the main reasons I am trying to start a side business active enough to be able to quit my job and set my own hours -- so that I can give my kids the education they deserve. Right now, having to do the 9 to 5, it just isn't practical. Though, thankfully I have been able to engender a love of reading in them, so, I believe that they'll be voracious enough readers to educate themselves outside of the curriculum, just as I did when I was in school.

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Already happening in Mississippi

Miss. Congressman Mails Calls For Policy Anchored In Scripture

In a letter enclosed with the Bibles, U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-Miss.) wrote that the tomes are intended to provide guidance for public policy.

14. HamJam

Yeah, actually, Deckard makes a great point. We shouldn't blame the schools. If we let the teachers cooperatively run the schools themselves, they would be excellent institutions.

Unfortunately the schools are not run by the teachers who actually care about educating kids, but by bureaucrats appointed by our political leaders, leaders who only care about scoring political points, staying in power and serving the interests of the corporations they get their campaign contributions from.

And that goes for both parties by the way.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yet. . . .. Their will be new Private school create
    AND
    being that they are private they can teach whatever they want
    more or less

Rocket River

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

With all the information available to students on the internet, why would anyone think they can teach one version of truth? Do they think the students won't know about the curriculum changes? Do they think rebellious teens won't take great pride in gutting forced jingoism?

Hell my first paper in Okie would be about the Trail Of Tears just to get a reaction.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think you are overly optimistic

How would you even know about the Trail of Tears . . . if it was erased from the school books and curriculum? Or even where to start?

Rocket River

18. Remii

Remii Member

Thanks for the correction... Didn't mean to put the blame on the schools. But it can't be just Texas... I mean the global ranking of our students isn't that great considering how great this nation is.

It's great educational computer programs and games out there as well that parents can utilize. Also, many teachers are willing to give extra learning materials as well if parents ask.

Look at the women's liberation movement... The Rockefeller foundation funded that. Of course women deserve equal rights but their intentions weren't from the heart.
    #1. They wanted to be able to tax the other half of the population.
    #2. It got both parents out of the house and kids in school so they can indoctrinate them.
    Gloria Steinem even admitted that the CIA funded MS Magazine with the stated goal of taxing women and breaking up families (which was what was done during the slavery era).

I think it's hard and or impossible for a country to be a super power with a bunch of free thinkers so I can't buy the government trying to push private schooling. They're using school and the news media to dumb us down.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting Link?

20. Remii

Remii Member

Here's a couple of videos... But you can Google it and a bunch of articles will pop up.

Watch "Gloria Steinem Exposed: Feminist Spy for The CIA!" on YouTube
    Gloria Steinem Exposed: Feminist Spy for The CIA!: http://youtu.be/hEyogkRMWZ0

This is a short interview with Aaron Russo.
    Watch "Feminism Was Created To Destabilize Society" on YouTube
    Feminism Was Created To Destabilize Society: http://youtu.be/NN05DHO9bJw