1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We play small ball frequently and have 480 minutes to go around. With a 9 man rotation, we have 27 minutes to go around per rotation player, which is plenty.

I envision it something like this:

Dragic (36) / Beverley (12)
    Harden (36) / Martin (12)
    Ariza (22) / Brewer (14) / Martin (12)
    Gibson (32) / Smith (12) / Ariza (4)
    Dwight (36) / Smith (12)

Harden - 36 min
    Howard - 36 min
    Dragic - 36 min
    Gibson - 32 min
    Ariza - 26 min
    Smith - 24 min
    Martin - 24 min
    Brewer - 14 min
    Beverley - 12 min

Thats not set in stone, you can move that around as you see fit. This is assuming no injuries and is flexible. Everyone gets decent minutes, but is not burnt out for the playoffs.

Gibson is better than Smith and D-mo, at worst in the same tier. Higher PER, better rebounder, lower turnovers, etc. Doesn't have the post game of D'mo or shotblocking of Smith, but is just as competitive in all other areas. Not to mention he is locked up for multiple years on a very reasonable contract. Smith can be resigned easily. There will not be much demand for Smith in the offseason.

[​IMG]

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gibson is not even a starter - he is an average PF, nothing special...

You can't get older, and weaker in a trade for a guy that is going to be an unrestricted free agent and looking forward to it.

Dmo or TJones could be traded but not for a rental and a couple of guys on the men's downhill team.

Terrible...simply terrible.

DD

3. Nils

Nils Member

I disagree with your assertion that Smith is gone....he's comfortable here, and doesn't need a big payday--at least for the next 2 years. Who knows...

4. DaDakota

I believe he will go with the most money - as most players tend to do.

DD

5. Nils

Nils Member

Being a starter doesn't mean you're good, and being a bench player doesn't mean you're not. Harden was coming off the bench for two years....and Beverly starts...I'd rather have Kanter or another 7 footer, but we have no control over any of it.

6. Nils

Nils Member

Maybe...Josh is a very bright guy...a lot of people don't know that. He has good counsel with his father, and would hopefully make a decision based on where he thinks he'd be happiest. If money makes him happy, so be it. Remember, Josh and Houston were trying to come together two years ago, and then Detroit offered a crazy amount....anyone would've taken it...he regretted it. You'd hope that he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Josh Smith is also limited by his huge contract in Detroit due to the set off provision:

For clarity sake, suppose the two hypotheticals below: A.)If Smith signs a 1.5m dollar deal with Houston or B.) if Smith signs a 10 million dollar contract with a new team this off season, his earnings look like this:

A.) Resigns for 1.5 million
    Houston earnings - 1 million
    Detroit earnings - 27m - ((1.5-1.5m)/2) = 27m

Total earnings 28m

B.) Signs 10 million dollar contract
    New Team earnings - 10m
    Detroit earnings - 27m - ((10m - 1.5m/2)) = 22.75m

Total earnings 32.75

While there is some difference, the point is, Josh is probably going to be cheap to resign, as leaving will cost him half of his new contract anyway.

8. Nils

Nils Member

Very interesting stuff...let's hope that he chooses to resign with us...he's a great player, who is playing well within the parameters of the system.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Taj Gibson availabillity is a fake rumour and with how snell is starting to break out lately they may just stay pat .Otherwise they would trade him only for a good wing becaue they are contenders themselves. No need for more picks and undeveloped rookies.
    Nicholson..why don't you scrolled up to see the right above post?..

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. Nils

Nils Member

Most people hit "reply", so there's some context to their posting. We had been talking about Enes Kanter for a while, and there was only one reference to AN. Bc there was no reference, I thought to ask. Multiple postings can happen at the same time, so I had no idea who you were referring to....most people also put the name of the person being written about in the post as well. Bc I was unsure, i asked.

12. malakas

malakas Member

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

[​IMG]

Send Pels 1st round pick to the Suns
    Send a 2nd round pick to the Bucks

Gogi, Bev, Canaan
    Harden, Zoki, Johnson
    Ariza, Brewer
    D-Mo, Smith
    Howard, Ilyasova, Dorsey

14. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Is Zoran any good??

16. malakas

malakas Member

Not really.
    Jones for Arsen is a terrible overpay.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

and the difference will be even smaller i assume than 4.75 million. i dont think a team is going to offer him 10 million. and maybe the rockets will offer a little more than that, so maybe closer to 3 million.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

You have been wrong about Smith before. With Detroit still on the hook for $13.5M next season, JSmoove has options and does not have to go 'with the most money' especially because he appears to be enjoying his role and his teammates on the Rockets.

19. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Suns need a better return than that

20. DaDakota

The law of averages has players going wherever the money is, JSmooth did it in Detroit over Houston once before, what makes folks think he won't do it again?

Players have small windows for their careers, they need to make as much as possible especially mid level players like Smith.

I would be shocked if he signed in Houston, when he can make so much more signing elsewhere.

DD