1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Howard Beck] Rockets still high on Lin; expected to be among his chief suitors this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Feb 11, 2015.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

As long as Lin comes in at a cheap enough contract, this is a great move. Lin is at all time low, value-wise...we need a bench playmaker, he fits that.

If we look at Lin's stats/history, he was never more or less than I thought he'd be. He was exactly as he advertised. Granted, media and Linsanity advertised something else, but what was seen through the numbers essentially bore out pretty consistently.

Lin is a decent player, slightly below avg. PG in today's league, but well above avg. in driving to the basket. He is a meh defender; prob better on help defense than man-on-man, but hard to say how much of it is influenced by Rockets system vs. his own abilities, though his lateral quickness has never been great. He is an avg. shooter (about 44%) and avg. from 3 pt land (almost 35%). Decent FT shooter.

Our biases make us feel like he is inconsistent, but he's actually okay consistent, per the numbers and a great thread posted on CF actually.

Lin can get us, as a bench playmaker, another option to make plays when Harden sits, and a player that can prob give us around 12 PPG, 3-4 assists and a couple of rebounds.

If I am getting the above, which is what I expect to get based on the numbers and history, with biases removed...if I am getting the above for just a few million (like $3M), then jeez, come on home! If everyone saw Lin's career stats, in context, but without his name attached...and then I said $3M, who on here would not jump on it?

LOFs suck though.

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe Howard Beck is trolling Clutch by ruining his planned April 1st article.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If it happens, Clutch needs to ban all the known obnoxious Lin fans here immediately and shut down new member registration for as long as Lin is a Rocket.

4. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Clutch should just add a screening question for account creation when Lin comes back. The question is simple:

"Whose better? Lin or Harden?"

If they take more than 3 seconds to decide. Ban them.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

And people said this country is the land of free.

lol

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin would actually make sense at a lower price, especially if the Rockets lands that third expensive player.

They won't have a whole lot of cap flexibility at least for the upcoming summer before the cap $ goes up substantially in 2016 with the new national TV deal. Dwight, Harden, plus having to pay another expensive player, and also retain Josh Smith wouldn't leave the team much room to maneuver to fill out the rest of the roster. If someone gives, say, Beverley, an offer that the Rockets deem unreasonable, they need to look for alternatives within their economic means.

Lin isn't a star player or anything close to it, but he is as good as or better than the most guys you can get at the $1-3M/year range if you trusts what RAPM says. He can get to the basket and finish or make a play when given space-- which this team rather needs from its perimeter guys-- and at least you know he actually has played for this team and this coach for 25+ mpg.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

$1-3M per year? I'm okay with that.

Keep in mind: one thing Lin's detractors can't take away from him was the admirable job he did last year filling in for Harden during a couple pockets of games Harden had to miss. He stepped into Harden's playmaking two role and performed quite well. Hell, he was the main reason we won most of the games Harden missed last year.

It's no secret that Lin's game is up & down. But the positives far outweigh the negatives. You just have to learn to live with the circus, the drama and all of the distractions that accompany it (none of which is necessarily even his fault).

1 person likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Les wants Lin so he can sell more jerseys

he can work at the Gift Shop and sell Yao Ming jerseys

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Get the **** out of here.

10. Handles

Handles Member

I agree, and it's why I believe the reported interest in Lin is true.

I also think it's a smart leak by the rockets.

Maury: "yeah, we don't need to give up our NOP pick for dragic...we really like Lin :p"

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Even better sign Nate Wolters for the min. There are higher upside, lower value guys out there.

12. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Bringing back Lin as a back up who knows the system and has chemistry with current players and can give us another offensive threat? No, this would be horrible.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Meh. Wolters can't hit the 3 or breakdown a defense.

Lin can do those things. Granted, he's a flake and all over the place in terms of production and consistency, but a player that can get into the paint -AND- hit the outside shot will always be useful. Especially, in our type of offense.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He didn't seem to understand anything about the system last season and he has proven to be anything but an offensive "threat"

15. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

mediocre morey

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Only two Terry and Harden have higher 3p% than Lin this season.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What system? Jacking up 40 3 pointers a game?

18. choujie

choujie Member

I don't see this happening. Since Lin will be a free agent, I don't think he'd chose any team with a ball dominant star guard, after playing with Melo, Harden and Kobe. A fast pace team oriented team would be ideal for him, and there is a market for him this time at a reasonable price.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I just noticed that the thread said "High on Lin" ----Yea I think the rockets might actually be high if they are contemplating this.

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

Lin doesn't have a choice. The market is in low demand for Lin right now. The Rockets are probably going to be the only team in the league who will tender offers for him next season. If so, he takes it, or goes into early retirement.