1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard looking at a 6 to 8 week time frame (UPDATED w/ Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2015.

1. okeezie

okeezie Member

Team physician does not work for the organization nor is he paid by them. He work with the hospital system that sponsors the team and if that sponsorship is pulled he is no longer the team doc. He has no say in the matter. Marketing and sponsorship of the organization and team make the decision on who is team doctor. Its unethical for him the team doctor to take money for this and there is no need to pay them. Any doctor would do it for free anyway. However the team doctor can be sued for malpractice if he doesn't care for patients in the proper way. Athletes can and do sue team doctors the same way the lay person does. There is no protection from a lawsuit so once again, please find me the incentive for the team doctor to lie or mis-diagnose. If Dr. Lowe sent Dwight Howard out there and risked his career Dr. Lowe would be responsible for a judgement against him for the amount of Dwight Howard's future earnings. You want to risk a 125 million dollar lawsuit to protect a team that does not pay you one red nickel? Didn't think so.

2. okeezie

okeezie Member

And by the way..Dr. Lowe is the team doc for the Texans and Rockets so he will not lose any prestige if he lost the Rockets. He has been the Texans team doc since the first season and took the Rockets back over a few years ago. He also had the Rockets in the 90's as well. You know nothing. Stay in your lane buddy.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The clutch fans like to speculate, also like to use our role players to get a star. I would like to say that we need to figure out how to trade Howard (plus others) for Durant. OKC may miss the playoff this year, there is a small chance for us to get Durant since Harden is on our team. Howard likely is in decline quickly

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Are you the Iraqi information minister? ;)

#64 robbie380, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Okeezie, Dwight got kneed on opening night and kept playing, despite immediate swelling and pain. He played the next night after this. Do you think this is when his knee problem originated?

If so, what's your opinion on it still being issue 50 games later?

What's your opinion on his strain, back in Nov? Was that really the bone bruise?

Overall, do you think he has been rushed to get back throughout the season? If so, why do you think this is?

6. okeezie

okeezie Member

Nope. I just do this for living. And its offensive when novices think they can do my job. i don't go around pretending to be a better engineer than engineers or a better firefighter than a firefighter. But when it comes to sports medicine everybody with Google thinks they know everything. But if you were sick or injured you would want specialized care specific to your condition from your healthcare provider. Not some Google diagnosis and treatment from a message board troll. I challenge all the skeptics of medicine and healthcare to just go without it. If healthcare professionals are full of BS don't go anymore. Heal yourself holistically or through WebMD if its that easy. But to attack someones integrity or credibility because they volunteer to cover a sports team is utterly ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Is anyone else getting sick of the Dwight Howard Memorial Herman "Better" commercials?

8. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

9. okeezie

okeezie Member

I don't remember which knee he got bumped so I can't speak on it. His condition is not career threatening and he is not really at risk to cause permanent damage to the knee by playing on it. It comes down to pain tolerance vs performance. He can tolerate the pain and play at 65-70% which he did or sit out and try to get to 95-100%. The call is mostly on Dwight at this time as the doctor said there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee. If there is something structurally wrong then its the doctor's decision. Right now everything is based on symptoms. I think Dwight himself came back earlier because T Jones was out and we didn't have J Smoove. He put that pressure on himself to help in anyway he could. Now that we are deeper in the front court it is more prudent for him to get as close to 100% as possible for the playoff run. Dwight has never had a knee surgery of any kind which would predispose you to major issues a la Clowney. I contend that as a physical therapist the back is 100x more of a worry than his particular knee injury. If he was having back and radiating leg symptoms again that would be career threatening. Not this minor knee injury. Hope this helps.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not surprising that it wasn't true. What is suprising, is that the Rockets let it continue to circulate, without putting an end to it. Technically, they still haven't.

11. okeezie

okeezie Member

I read that too. That's what happens when fans listen to the athlete and not the team doctor. Dwight obviously didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to relay a message he didn't understand. I deal with this everyday so I'm not surprised.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thanks.

And it's the same knee that has edema right now. The other knee was bumped too, but in preseason.

13. okeezie

okeezie Member

Actually Dr. Lowe did put an end to it in that article. Read it closely.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I read it. He did, but the Rockets didn't. Like you said, they're two separate things. He doesn't work for them, so it's not his job to do PR for the team. The team should have came out with a press release smoothing all that out a long time ago. They didn't do it to let people know there was nothing wrong structurally, either. Both of those things have been reported only because someone asked the doctor directly.

Morey should have been all over that early on, to pacify fans and the media.

15. okeezie

okeezie Member

I would say it probably minimally affected it. If his knee swelled then it could shut the quad muscle down some and prevent it from tracking normally. My overall guess is Dwight has a weak quad and R hip and tight lower extremity muscles in the hamstring, quad, IT Band. Those are factors that contribute to this condition. This condition is not caused by a traumatic injury like Jadeveon Clowney's was. This is more related to muscle imbalances across the hip and knee that need to be addressed. When they say he is doing "rehab" that is what he is working on. If he didn't fully correct those imbalances then he was bound to have a flare up of the same problem. Once those imbalances are corrected for good he is good to go based on the lack of structural damage.

16. okeezie

okeezie Member

And that might be why Dr. Lowe is giving all of these interviews now. For that reason. The doctor is speaking to stop the misinformation.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, that's not going to make the headlines most of the time. I'm just very surprised that the team isn't doing their part in stopping the misinformation. Even if they have decided to not speak for the doctor to avoid confusion, they haven't exactly made it easy for his words to reach their fan base.

18. Rocketsfan07

Rocketsfan07 New Member

just wanted to say your the reason i signed up for this site. I wanted to thank you for the informative and rational posts.

I was really worried about Dwight for the present and future (thought this could be a career ending thing) but you've talked me off the ledge.

You think Dwight will be fine going forward next year and so on and that this is a minor thing?

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Ah, imbalances, my old friend. :grin: I agree. It's unfortunate this was all likely preventable and it wasn't taken care of earlier. Sounds like Dwight has had too much influence in all this and he did not learn from what happened in LA, regardless of what he has said since. Rockets have been too soft with him, it seems.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

A simple disagree would have been sufficient. Rudeness is unnecessary. From Dwight's own lips: he says he has been playing basketball for a long time and has worn out the cartilage in his knee. That doesn't sound good.