1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 19, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree that they will look to trade Gattis or Carter if Singleton shines, but that could take a while before a value trade presents itself, until then they have to find a spot for all 3. If that happens, barring injury, one of them is gonna have to spend some time in LF.

I really hope Rasmus doesn't have a Fowler like necessity to stay in CF, because if Marisnick is on the field he needs to be in center.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd think Rasmus would want to stay in CF for the same reasons that Fowler wanted to ensure he would stay in CF.

Considering that he hasn't started anywhere but CF since the first month of his rookie season in 2009, and given his upcoming free agency (with a large part of his current salary/future earning potential tied to the fact that he plays CF), it would surprise me if he'd agree to make a move now.

Pretty sure Luhnow knows what his preferences/intentions are and likely addressed them during the courting process. You could also always trade him (instead of Gattis/Carter) in order to clear up the log-jam (which, given the club control years between all these guys, may not be that far of a stretch).

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine Astros signing a one year FA to play center when they need to see if Marisnick is legit in center. I know this isn't a very predictive stat, but he was making an extra 0.75 outs a game versus Fowler last year in center for the Astros.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why not? I think they signed him to add an MLB bat to the lineup... and he happens to play CF, which easily replaces the player they just traded (if they didn't need a replacement CF why choose Rasmus? Was he the best available FA OF there?... $8 million can get you a traditional LF, no?)

Also, his salary is as much as it is not just because of what he does at the plate.

Marisnick is under club control for awhile... my guess is Rasmus is the CF when he's out there, and if he builds up some value (with the team not quite contending), they flip him at the deadline.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure if he's the best, but he has a career .751 OPS, which plays everywhere. Plus Rasmus has flashed all star level offense in a couple of seasons. Why not take the calculated risk that he may have another year like that and nets us a prospect or possibly a comp pick.

The need for him to be in CF never crossed my mind with Marisnick here. Although I'm fine with him out there if Marisnick is on the bench because he isn't hitting. His ability to play center certainly adds to his value, but that doesn't mean HAS to be there.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It doesn't... but it would be naive to think that he'd agree to sign here without knowing where he'd be playing, as it does impact his future earning potential (and again, he hasn't played anywhere but CF for the vast majority of his professional career).

To me, the signing indicated that not only are they serious about who's in the everyday lineup this year (no experiments), but that they're not as sold on Marisnick's bat with other potential holes in the lineup (he didn't exactly tear it up at the plate in his opportunities both in Miami and here).

They shore up 1B, 3B and SS... along with getting good Carter/Gattis for an entire year, then Rasmus definitely becomes expendable and you can play the elite GG candidate in CF no matter what.

#946 Nick, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why would they be sold on his bat, he hasn't proven he can hit. That doesn't mean they would play him in LF. If he plays, he plays in CF. If he can't hit he sits and Rasmus moves to CF. Preparing for his failure is the only logical thing to do. Plus they needed to replace Fowlers bat in the OF.

It's the same reason they added Gattis to prepare for Singleton's possible failure.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree its useless to play him anywhere but CF... the more pertinent question is whether or not he'll hit enough in his AB's to warrant a starting role. Based on his current 355 MLB plate appearances, he's going to have to show some major improvement with the bat to stick on a team that doesn't have an above average lineup.

They also have to consider what to do with Grossman (presuming Pressley is truly just a bench guy). Chances are, Marisnick is more likely in a platoon than he is likely to be an everyday player.

I think Gattis is slightly more than a fallback option. He'll be an everyday hitter in this lineup. Singleton is going to have to take the job to earn more playing time... I don't think they're just going to hand it to him again.

Again, this all goes back to being more "proven" and less "experimental".... its pretty clear that's the direction this team took this off-season.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Well I think we can say that for the most part PED's are gone........ .699 would get your butt thrown to the Mexican League 15 years ago.

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

As James Shields' asking prices continues to [reportedly] drop, does the chances of the Astros' signing him become more realistic? I know losing the comp pick would hurt a little, but I'd gladly sign Shields for a 4 year, $60M deal.

Shields would serve as an upgrade over Feldman, who is the current veteran/mentor/innings eater. That also allows us to flip Feldman, and when considering his declining salary, should hold some nice trade value. The return we would receive from him, although not earth-shattering, would help make up for the loss of the comp pick for signing Shields in the first place.

A rotation of Shields, Keuchel, McHugh, Oberholtzer, and Straily/Appel can get it done. Add that to a completely revamped and upgraded bullpen, and the numerous upgrades to our lineup, and now we're talking.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Had a very similar thought this morning. My thought would be to keep Feldman unless Straily proves himself in ST or Appel or one of other kids appears competent. Still agree with flipping Feldman, but maybe wait until the deadline depending on how things are looking

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There were 6 NL teams above them led by (not surprisingly) Colorado in the .800s.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At 4/$60M, Shields would be headed to a contender.

14. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Very possibly true, but I hear many teams are hesitant to go 4 years with him. So maybe adding a 4th, guaranteed year, gets us to the finish line? This is simply conjecture from my end, and maybe this is just wishful thinking.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Moncada is the reason Shields hasn't signed. Moncada will likely cost a team about $80 million. I could see the big wallets waiting until Moncada signs before acting on Shields.

16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I always buy a fantasy baseball projection magazine around this time of year, not that I need it with everything available online but it's more nostalgic that anything. The other day I picked up a SportingNews Fantasy Baseball Guide, and they're projecting an absolute monster year for Springer.

I'm at work so these numbers may be slightly off but they're projecting: .260/37/90 with almost .900 OPS. Gotta think he would be getting a few MVP votes if he posts a season like that.

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

Given the Astros got in the Tanaka bidding last year, I wonder if they try to get in on Moncada as well. An infield with Correa, Moncada, Altuve, and one of Singleton, Moran, Reed, etc. could be devastating.

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Isn't Moncada subject to the international signing guidelines?

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He is subject to international FA bonus pools but since the penalties are future hard caps, plenty of teams are willing to forgo signing players to contracts greater than 300k for two years to get a player of Moncada's caliber.

1 person likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He is. We won't be in the running. Teams that are already into the penalty, or will have small pools to begin with next year are far more likely to chase Moncada.