1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good is Beverley on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Dec 7, 2014.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I hate it when people rip Mchale for this. They are only allowed to show these type of comments from the team huddles on the networks. If you watch non rocket games they also only show the other coaches saying these type of comments. The more X and O are not showed on tv.

So saying Mchale only saying play harder is just not true. And it is a lazy way to fit the situation to a narrative these posters like:rolleyes:

I think Mchale has made many mistakes and I am still not sold on him as our coach, but this narrative is just wrong.

2. Andrew Li

Andrew Li Member

Bev's problem is that he likes to play hero ball (eg. shooting threes even it's not good chance) and penetrate at force. Terry/Cannan makes better offense.

When the other team plays equal defense (like in playoffs), it comes down to offense. Bev cant make big difference.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't see Bev playing hero ball at all. This year he's shooting 49% from 3, so I'm not going to complain about that.

As for him not being able to make a difference in the playoffs, I don't buy that either. Against Portland he wasn't his normal self (due to illness or injuries, I don't remember which) but I don't see why his defense would be insignificant in the playoffs. If anything, it'd mean more in the playoffs since there's often times more halfcourt sets.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Bev is out best 3pt shooter this season

your whole post is invalid

5. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

So many talented NBA PGs now, especially in the west. Next best thing to have after a "superstar" pg, is arguably the best defensive pg who can spot up and baptize Chris Bosh. Also imo he is the ideal fit next to a ball dominate guard like Harden.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Almost any defensive rating or efficiency stat is going to be skewed by the system the guy is playing on, so I wouldn't read too much into Rondo's placement given his current teammates.

Beverley is a ******* rock star though and I want him doing his thing in Houston as long as he can lace them up. That might not make perfect basketball sense given his limitations but I want to watch guys on the Houston Rockets whose #1 skill is competing more than I want to watch superstars on the Rockets.

7. Andrew Li

Andrew Li Member

Remember Ariza, who seemed never missed any one of his 3pt shot in the first few games of the season? What happened afterwards...For ordinary 3pt shooters, sometimes they make it, sometimes they dont. It means nothing if name is not Curry. I judge them by their shot selection, b/c good shot selection makes sure that even when their hands are not hot, they can still win the game with his teammates. Last game against Phoenix is typical. Bev made big shots, result is good, but that looks hero ball to me.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's a really weird perspective. I don't think there's a person around that thinks Beverley is a great "true" point guard that can create offense for others, but to form the opinion he's out there playing hero ball... that just seems like it's coming out of left field.

Beverley is 25th in field goals attempted per game from the point guard position, on a team with a relatively fast pace. He's shooting about the same amount of times as Rondo. Hero ball, huh?

What game are you watching?

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I completely agree. Bev does everything anyone could want from a PG playing next to Harden. He lets Harden play hero ball. And that is a good thing.

10. bongman

bongman Member

You are free to have that opinion. To me, I love the idea that a lot of our players have the balls to shoot even when the game is on the line. This means they have a lot of confidence in themselves. I would rather have that than a bunch of players playing hot potato with the ball because they dont want to be responsible for the loss.

11. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think hero ball means what you think it means.

Taking the open 3-pt shot is not hero ball. Penetrating passed defenders on the weak side and finishing at the hoop is not hero ball.

It's Houston Rockets basketball.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't need a TRUE PG when you have Harden on the ball.

You need a 3 and D player....like PBev.

There is more than one way to win in this league.

You design your team around your superstar players.

PBev and Cannan fit great.

DD

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Been discussed elsewhere, but Beverley seems less good on D recently compared to the level of excellence he displayed last season.

I remember him being great at fight over screens. Tonight, he got hung up on a couple of screens, allowing Lin an easy drive to the basket. He also used to be great at pressuring the opposing ball-handlers while still having enough lateral mobility to not get beat by them off the dribble. Recently, when he gets into the opponent's personal space, he gets beat with some regularity.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he's doing a lot of stupid isos as well. I really hope he didn't buy into his own hype.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

really gotta wonder how much the knee injury is stil affecting him (if at all).

16. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

He would have been great back in the day when hand-checking and aggressive PG defense was allowed. Nowadays when he tries to do it the refs can just call a foul and he has to back off, reducing his impact.

17. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

I think Bev is great defensively especially since the ROX have no real defensive game plan

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i think his intensity gets mistaken for good defence, i have never rated him that highly as a defender. the other teams guards get past him pretty easily

1 person likes this.
  19. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

It's not as obvious how good of a defender he is anymore, now that we actually have players who can defend.

To be honest, I like him saving strength to snipe those threes. He is a beast from downtown this year.

20. Asian Sensation

When you can't create for yourself or others but play hard... Some people think you're good at D. Keyword being some... We need a real starter at the 1. We are relying way too much on Harden to do everything and Bev's lack of creativity/skillset on offense is hurting other players' potential.

We have a sick team with loads of talent. Can we please frickin get a real PG already so we can maximize the usage of the talent?