1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clowney with Season Ending Injury (microfracture surgery, out 9 months)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tenchi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

why do you keep saying this?

LZ surveyed 10 teams after the draft, and only 5 had him as the top player. That's 50%.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Still he graded out as the most likely player to be taken at #1. Some of those other teams probably had a mix of Greg Robinson, Mack, and Watkins in there.

3. MystikArkitect

Some teams apparently also had RG3 ahead of Luck. Team draft boards are all about scheme fit, this isn't the NBA where you take BPA. Clowney was by far the best prospect in this year's draft class and it's wasn't even close. That's why you really can't be too mad at them for taking him. Suafilo and Nix? That's another story entirely.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

clearly he was not the consensus "best prospect" when 50% of surveyed teams do not have him #1.

a team's draft board has nothing to do with scheme.. it's a rating system based on scouting.

if you want to get into "schematic fit", houston's defense is probably the worst as clowney is a natural 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 OLB.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

not disputing this.. i'm saying he was not the unanimous #1 pick like people claim him to be.

6. Breaker

Breaker Member

If he doesn't play in 2015, are we still paying him money?

7. Remix

Remix Member

Number 1 overall pick. Rookie contract is fully guaranteed.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think Clowney is going to be ready in week 1 but missing all of 2015 would be a massive disappointment. He is having the worst knee surgery out there so it won't be outside the realm of possibilities.

It's tough to see him regaining the explosiveness he had before without putting too much pressure on that knee due to his size and reinjuring it.

He is like Yao in that he is too big for his own good. After a while, Yao's foot just couldn't stay structurally in tact because of the weight. Only wish Clowney had 1/20th the career that Yao had in his short time in the league.

I was for Clowney from the beginning but I started having serious doubts after his Hernia then concussion. The knee when it was just the meniscus was really a worry since it could have been a reflection of how his body could handle the stress of his massive size but this... It's not even an issue of if the guy's body is prone to breaking. It's just a simple matter of it's possible for him to return to form after he has healed completely.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

He won't be on the active roster at the beginning of the season. He'll be on the PUP list. If, and that's a huge if, he recovers well enough to play, I highly doubt he'll be activated before the mid-way part of the season. And only then I would expect very restricted snap counts.

If the Texans are sold on helping this kid try and return to some portion of the player he could of been, he should really only be asked to full recover, get in football shape, hit the books, and be ready for his first action in the post season or the year after. I would completely sit him next year.

I couldn't care less about his draft status. If he has a chance to recover, I sit him all of next year. With his rookie deal, you can push it to 5 years total. Giving you 3 more after next season to allow this kid to fight back to being what some people think he was capable of. But I do not expect anything of him, I won't pencil him as a starter at any point after his recovery. I would go forward never expecting him back, and if he does become your monster starting OLB, then all the better. But he has to fight his way back to that point.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In order to predict success you'd have to know the size of the injury and the precise location. That's pretty much the only way of knowing if he'll bounce back like Reggie Bush and Travis Kelce or if his career will be over before it begins like some of the failures. If they are expecting him back by camp, odds are they know things we don't.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds like FLUFF to me. Smith trying to put a cherry on top of a pile of ****.

But, whatever might make some fans more enthusiastic....

I'm hoping for the best, I almost forgot we even drafted him last season.

Really worried about how badly this will affect his game....where he depends on his explosiveness....or so I hear (haven't seen too much of him...).

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Odds are they are blowing smoke up the collective behinds of all the battle red fanboys. Besides, what else do you expect they to say? That we won't know until SEPTEMBER at the earliest if he'll be able to play? That we are making plans to go into this football season as if Clowney is not coming back? Or: We don't expect him back until 2016 at the earliest? You won't engender much in the way of fan enthusiasm (not to mention merchandise sales) with statements like this.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Houston sports fans are overdue for a little bit of luck...

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

or they are blowing sunshine up our asses.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the only luck we get is in the form of a neck beard on indy.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Koolaid will give you diabetes.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So the Texans are knowingly concealing the extent of Clowney's recovery by falsely raising expectations for a training camp return? You all think that's a winning PR move? Because it's more important to fool fans *now* and not, you know, when training camp/the season actually starts? No one will be upset if his recovery spills into September? OK...

Do any of you doom'n'gloomers *ever* take a break? I mean, ever? Isn't it tiring to gripe and complain about every last piece of Texan news?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some people just see everything through s*** stained glasses. There's really nothing that can be done about it. Paradoxically, they are almost certainly the same people who will be over the top Texans homers if the Texans ever win the SB.