1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 30, 2014.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep. More than half the time Harden has the ball. We know he can score but that's not how you win games in the long run. That's just pure lazy coaching or analytical thinking.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, I looked over the Pelican game, it wasn't 1 time but whatever, 4/13 shooting (or so). But to address the rest of your comment, if you don't think Anthony Davis is the real deal, then I think you need to watch him, he's going to be the best big man in this current gen of players (if not already). He's so dominant just look at his stats.

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

It seems like Harden and Papa are the only 2 players that afe capable of feeding the post. Hell Beverly can't dump it in the post to eithef DH12 or Dmo.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also fouls, and his decision to shoot 3's didn't help. But as biased are fans here... I can tell you DMo has no shot of playing Davis straight up. I mean someone on here the other day was saying they wouldn't trade DMo for LMA. I'd like to know what basketball ball games they were watching, because I don't watch them with rose-colored glasses...

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Sorry for the double post. I can't edit my own posts. I want to add Terry to the list of capable post entry passers.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!!

But so many read into things that are not there....

T_Man

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

I was going to post something similar. Davis has all the tools to be an absolute monster. He's already very, VERY good for his age.

I'm not sure why the poster you replied to is dropping conspiracy theories left and right and making every excuse in the book for D-Mo. It seems like the general consensus here is that D-Mo is a good scoring option in the post. There must be a reason why we're not force feeding him the ball, right? So what's more likely:

1) There's a hidden agenda to keep D-Mo down, lower his trade value or placate Howard's ego.

2) Something unknown. Something coaches see in practice maybe. Maybe he's not where he needs to be in offensive sets. Maybe he's not hitting the glass hard enough. It could be lots of things you can't glean from watching the games.

Again, I like D-Mo's game. I think when he gets the ball in the right spots he can score efficiently. He is aggressive on defense. So there HAS to be a good reason we're not using him in a way that should yield better results, right?

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CLUTCH, thanks so much for posting that interview transcript. Great stuff from Morey.

The fact that Morey said DMO was the 2nd best offensive option on a team with Harden/Howard...that says a lot. I agree with him, but for Morey to publicly say it..."DMO is a better offensive option than Howard" is really saying something.

I agree with the ALL IN card. This is the best we will get from Dwight "right now" and Harden is playing at MVP level. Rockets HAVE to strike. That doesn't mean make "bad value trades" but at the same time, we might not have the luxury of holding onto picks.

I agree Clutch, I think the NOP pick is CLEARLY in play. And at the same time, you could make the case that Morey was really "pumping up" DMO's trade value in that interview. Not saying he will be traded, but we have seen this tactic before.

9. Raven

Raven Member

It does, of course, take two GMs to tango, but there's too many games between now and the deadline to patiently wait for the best deal. That was fine when the Rockets were winning, but now they aren't winning, and I hope Morey gets something done sooner rather than later.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We should all root for OKC. The sooner OKC shores up the West #8 seed (or higher) and thus locking in the 8 WC playoff teams, the sooner teams like Denver/PHX/Sac/NOP start looking around to offload talent.

Denver and PHX both look like prime candidates to move talent.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Morey is still a 3rd big piece away from his ultimate goal IMO and he's on the cusp of possibly getting it at the deadline. DMOs value as a post up 7 footer is high at the moment and it would not surprise me in seeing him moved along with NOP pick at the deadline for his coveted 3rd star.

12. haydenfisher342

Reason why dmo isn't getting more post ups is because our offense is predictable, and our pgs are some of the worst at entry passes in the league.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Did you watch the field goal attempts? ----> http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021400380/

Look at attempts #3, 6, 9, 12, and 13 and tell me Anthony Davis wasn't giving DMo fits down low. I don't think there's a person with eyes who can't tell DMo post-ups are our best secondary offensive option -- they so obviously are. But trying to diminish AD's defensive impact makes you sound ridiculous.

14. KlutchQT

Anybody?

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably not the last month or two.He goes back to Jordan and, IIRC, comes back around Feb.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No he hasnt. Hakeem is too expensive for Les.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hakeem typically spends the winter months in amman jordan w/ his family

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I specifically remember them talking about and working on quick decisive moves as soon as he got the ball. You could see the difference when he made that quick move before defense set up on him. Maybe it's health related but he has gone away from it. He's back to getting the ball and slowly coiling up allowing defense to set and make plays.

19. KlutchQT

Thanks, y'all. Well, he needs to get back over here. :p Dgn1, that's what I'm remembering. It seemed to be a point of emphasis, and Dwight had gotten so much better at it. Dwight & Bev are two guys who kill my spirit more and more with every dribble.

I always wonder what Dwight is thinking when he watches DMo post up. He has to realize how he looks in comparison, right?

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The Rockets do have enough, they just need more chemistry.

Morey knows they have no choice but to start Smith. That's what they promised. So why would Morey put this out there? Because now everyone wonders (including GMs around the league) who should star(t ) over Howard/Smith.

If you have to start Josh, and you know it's in your best interest to trade D-Mo while his value is this high. Let them know he's available but with an understanding you're not going to just give him away with out a very satisfying package in return.

I'm going to also assume D-Mo's camp is pushing for a trade as well. They have a history of being unhappy with playing time. So great move by Morey letting everyone know D-Mo's rated higher than superstar Dwight Howard. GM's can't deny stats, and going public with this could have also piqued other teams interest for D-Mo, either making another team offer more or to convince a certain team that the package already on the table is enough.

Aaaaaaannd this should light a fire under Dwight's a**. Everyone wins