1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 30, 2014.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

So Morey thinks Dwight isn't our 2nd best option.

Welp, time to get a 2nd option then.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Love the comments about Dmo...we're not the only ones seeing how efficient he is in the post.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its obvious at this point. Why we continue to coddle his ego is beyond me though.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

That's what you get for hiring a coach that doesn't know how to utilize a skilled big man.

But then DoMo plays too unselfish. There were times where he could just go up for a layup , instead he kicks it out for a 3pt shooter. We just need the Josh Smith mindset in him.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, but I also saw him play like garbage against the Pelicans and the Clippers... Just look at the box scores if you need a reminder. He basically played his way on to the bench.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I'm confused with the interview though. He emphasized that James and Dwight are in their prime and thus we should go for it. And yet he pretty much stated later in the interview that the offense is James and .... Dmo, which I take as he has little confidence in Dwight offensively.

If Dwight isn't who he expects him to be, then obviously he has to be looking for something better.

Harden has been absolutely absurd this year, but clearly we have to think fatigue will play a factor if he keeps going at this rate. Harden has struggled shooting in the playoffs both times as a Rocket. We can't rely solely on Harden if the goal is to go far in the playoffs.

If Dwight isn't that "2nd" guy, the team ether needs to establish DMo as the 2nd option in the post b/c post play is critical, or go get a 2nd option.

7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

i must rewatch these games ...boxscore is deceiving...btw he clearly didnt get enough post touches against davis only a couple of them...and we stoped going to him after he missed a couple of postups(it was a close miss) but it was clear he can score by posting up davis... he just needed to adjust to his lenght.... in 2nd half he skillfully scored posting up davis once he got the ball... that i remember...clippers game is a total blank for me i must rewatch...

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Even Dwight think dmos better... remeber Bull's comment 'Dwight pulled up DMO!' whne Dwight emulated dmo in one of his postups...

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True, I mean I'm sure it's not all his fault on the loss/performance/touches, but I just feel sometimes he defers too often. He needs to just shoot the ball all the time once he's posted up. His offensive skill-set around the basket is pretty good.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Both Bev and Dwight referred to the issues about touches/minutes having to do with the starters specifically. I'd be very surprised if it had anything to do with DMo. And while Bev/Harden/whoever else might be starting the play could make an effort to get the ball in to DMo more, DMo could also get into post position more and demand the ball. The last couple of games, he spends way too much time (IMO) hanging around the perimeter or wandering between the perimeter and the paint, even when Dwight isn't on the floor. Unless there's a fastbreak, I see no reason he shouldn't be establishing post position every time down.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight was a very good post option in Orlando.

He has lost a good amount of explosiveness/athleticism and needs to adjust his game though. The sooner he realizes the better.

12. KlutchQT

He never could get into a rhythm down low w/ Davis looming, which is definitely not a knock on DMo. AD's presence alone makes guys timid, I think.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

IMHO, adding talent without considering the ripple effect on the roster is a major mistake.

DD

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The thing that is so frustrating about Dwight is that I feel like I'm the only one that notices that when he gets the ball in the post and goes without hesitating, he's damn near unstoppable... the only time he doesn't get a good shot in that situation is when he loses control of the ball.

But for some reason, every once in a while, he gets the ball and stops for a little bit before making his move. He doesn't score consistently at all in those situations.

D-Mo is a confident post player. Any time he gets the ball in the post, he has an idea of what he wants to do, and he executes it well.

But with that being said... just because a D-Mo post-up is the Rockets "2nd best option" on offense, doesn't mean he's a better offensive player than Dwight.

15. KlutchQT

Has Dream been here at all this season? I feel like I haven't seen him at a single game, and I also feel like Dwight was making quicker, more decisive moves down low when they were working together consistently last year.

16. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

he didnt get opportunities for getting into rhytm...only a cuople of touches posting up... on his last touch in the post he scored skillfully on davis...and even got and one if i recall well...

17. KlutchQT

How many post touches did he have that game?

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I'm sure morey is aware of the effect on the roster DD, that's why we made the moves early rather than waiting for February imp

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not so sure, he says that you add talent and figure it out - I think some talent is not worth adding.

DD

20. KlutchQT

By the way, here's the video box score where you can view every attempt, if you want to count them.

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021400380/

But here are his misses in the paint from the play-by-play:

Motiejunas Turnaround Fadeaway shot: Missed
    Motiejunas Turnaround Hook Shot: Missed
    Motiejunas Layup Shot: Missed Block: Davis (3 BLK)
    Motiejunas Turnaround Hook Shot: Missed
    Motiejunas Jump Hook Shot: Missed Block: Davis (4 BLK)

So that's at least 5, not counting the couple of hook shots he made. Anthony Davis got him out of rhythm, flat out blocked him twice, and generally just bothered his shot down low (as noted in this game recap) -- and there's no shame in that at all. AD is in the MVP conversation for good reason. DMo remains our 2nd best offensive option (IMO). No need to rewrite history to support it.

1 person likes this.