1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we finally say...depth!?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Dec 24, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yes, we can!!! I was not really a fan of getting Josh Smith to be honest, but I've looked at his numbers and the role he had in Detroit and realize his situation was pretty bad. He actually did okay given the circumstances and will probably flourish in a system where he's the third / fourth or even fifth option and not the 1st / 2nd!

That being said, with the addition of him, Brewer & Shved, we finally are 9-10 deep and do not have to worry about the bench anymore. At the moment, we would have:

Beverley / Shved / Canaan
    Harden / Terry / Johnson
    Ariza / Brewer / Papa
    Smith / D-Mo / Jones
    Howard / Black or Dorsey / Capela

That's a team we can go to war with and let's say Jones comes back healthy, trade for a creator and lose either him or D-Mo + maybe get Okafor / JO type big we would have a championship team. Right now, we're definitely contenders and there's no reason not to get far in the playoffs and win BIG!

Go Rockets, excited as hell about this team, it should hit everyone that we are going to be awesome!

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not since the Artest Rockets team have we been this deep

3. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

This team may be turning into an epic all time defensive power house. :grin::grin::grin:

4. kemah

kemah Member

And the assets we have still is unbelievable. They can't get us a Superstar but we have enough flex to grab a much needed role player to complete the puzzle. Every position now has the ability to rest the starter for extended minutes. Very few teams have that ability.

5. yobod

yobod Member

The rotation will most likely be:

Rotation:

PG: Beverly, Terry
    SG: Harden, Terry, Brewer
    SF: Ariza, Brewer, Papanikolaou
    PF: Smith, Motiejunas, Jones
    C: Howard, Motiejunas

Bench:
    Canaan, Schved, Black, Dorsey

D-League:
    Capela, Johnson

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Someone has to go to make room for Smith.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

but this depth comes with a cost...

it might cost us one of the best defensive big man in europe, who at the age of 31 is just entering his prime!

jk wooo depth!

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This will be the rotation/depth chart based on McHale's comments and patterns established over the last year.

Bev/shved/Terry
    Harden/Terry/brewer
    Ariza/brewer/Harden/Smith
    Smith/D-Mo/Ariza/Harden
    Dwight /D-Mo/Dorsey

Glued to bench: Canaan/Papanikalaou
    D-league: Johnson/Capela
    IR: Jones
    Gone: Black

Until a trade goes down of course. Interchange Black and Dorsey if you want.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I like the Smith gamble, but can we wait until we actually see him play before crowning our asses?

10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Let us enjoy it while we can, for all we know this might kill our team or Harden might get hurt. We have plenty of time to wallow in reality then. For now we can be happy.

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I have always been able to say "depth". The trick is in how you handle the transition from the "p" to the "th".

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Cant glue Papa to bench. He's too good of a passer for that. Only he, Harden, and maybe Schved, are true triple threats. You want him around Smith.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I'd argue that we were already deep.

We had a lot of uncertainty with our bench when we started:
    1) Broke-knee Terry or does the Jet still have jetfuel?
    2) Canaan. Step up and blossom, or still d-league caliber
    3) D-Mo. Year 3 leap in store?
    4) K-Pap NBA Debut. Worth the largest 1st year salary for a 2nd rounder or not?

All 4 of those questions were answered with about as best of answers as you could hope for. But injuries forced our deep bench to become starters: D-Mo, Black, Canaan. And yeah, with Nick Johnson and Dorsey getting extended minutes, our bench is subpar. But guys getting back healthy, and now with Brewer Shved Smith on board....man....we're stacked.

Canaan
    Terry
    Brewer
    Pap
    D-Mo

That's what I would run as my bench. Slide in Shved at times with Terry at the point. Also slide in Black with D-mo at PF at times if we need to go big against a big opponent's bench.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Papa will get spare min at the 3. He sucks at the 4

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I agree. But that's the trade-off that comes with getting Smith. Papa plays the exact same spot as him. Smith gets D-Mo's minutes at the 4. D-Mo gets Papa's minutes at the 4. And brewer already took Papa's minutes at the 3.

There's always a trade-off. The Rockets made one. Now they have to roll with what they have. I give it about two weeks or so until that depth chart I predicted comes into play.

Until whatever trade we eventually make.

No he won't. There's not enough minutes to go around. Unless <4 mins a game randomly every now and then counts as spare minutes.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think one of Black or Dorsey's stint is over...

Smoove can play C in a very small lineup and Donatas will take the backup C role

17. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

come on clippers, bring it on. I just want the Rockets beat them by 30pts,

18. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I remember our lineup prior to the James Harden trade...
    Lin
    K. Martin
    Budinger
    Patterson
    Asik

What Daryl Morey has done in the last three years is truly amazing. Persistence + Flexibilty + Timing and a whole lot of luck has truly made us into a championship contender. (And that was before we added Josh Smith!).

I don't know but going after Dragic just seems like we'd be making a deal with the devil. No team can have it that good...can they?

19. mockster

mockster Member

If Terrance jones was back we would be super stack. I wonder if we should deal him and get more depth at Pg

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not enough minutes to play Jones. A second playmaker is definately the most pressing concern. Both first and second units struggle whenever Harden sits.