1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets Pursuing Deals with Trade Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CJLarson, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The way the teams been playing...

Don't think we should touch the current starting 5 unless we significantly upgrade at PG or PF.

Would love somebody like Korver/Dunleavy or Taj Gibson/Jason Smith off the bench. Guys like Copeland, Gerald Green & Scola would also do wonders for us.

I actually believe lance Stephenson would fit PERFECT on this team coming off the bench, too bad he wants to start.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This really belongs more in the trade thread, but Brewer is not the one I want on the T-Wolves. For those who haven't paid attention, our team is pretty good at defense this year. Our young PG's and PF's both are rapidly growing into their roles admirably. That starting line-up is doing just fine, because Harden and Dwight are there. When you play next to a James Harden, you don't need to worry too much about creating your own shot.

The position that I feel the team has the greatest need for, then, is not in the starting line-up. It's scoring depth, and particularly scoring depth from the wing. Our offense slows down when Harden sits. For a short period we had Canaan in there doing well, and perhaps he continues in that role. TJones too will be a big boost when he gets healthy.

But man, how great would it be to have a guy like Kevin Martin back as our 6th man? No matter what I feel like this team could benefit from a veteran presence off the bench, someone younger than Terry who is just as dangerous as Terry used to be in his heyday. So basically, I want Kevin Martin. His contract is 3 more years at 7M per, but who cares if we can lock down Bev and DMo as the starters for the foreseeable future. Remember, everyone, the cap is going up! Martin's contract will be a steal by the end of it. If everyone wanted to pay no-defense Parsons more than twice as much, then to me Martin should be just fine off the bench for us at his current price.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

does martin still get fouled a lot? if so that is a pretty good idea. he also hits them at a very high percentage.

i think maybe him and a seasoned and decent backup 5 this team would be GOLD.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i just looked at his stats for the year, and wow he is at 20ppg with 87% FT. would really be the perfect backup for harden. im on your bandwagon sir

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Soon! ;)

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.worldtimeserver.com/clocks/embed.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">objUSTX=new Object;objUSTX.wtsclock="wtsclock001.swf";objUSTX.color="FF0000";objUSTX.wtsid="US-TX";objUSTX.width=175;objUSTX.height=175;objUSTX.wmode="transparent";showClock(objUSTX);</script>

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How can he be effective if he gets around 15 mins a game? He will give up a lot of points while he is on the court.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If we're going to get them for a possible deadline flip, big men always make good "filler"

Take JJ Hickson. Showcase him. Then build the best package you can for the "big one". I don't think Brewer is going to be much more than an expiring to someone.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The deal on Brewer is that his salary is actually low enough that you would have room left over in the TPE to get another player. I wonder if there is another guy that could give you more than one of the back of the bench dudes on this team for the remaining TPE.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Our offensive philosophy is 3 pointers, free throws, layup/dunks. If Rondo was a better shooter than Beverly then I am all in for Rondo. He was already a poor shooter and his shooting has declined. I think what everyone seems to forget is that we need a backup big.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd take Brewer and Darrell Arthur right now. They both fit into the TPE.

11. justtxyank

I'm cool with a true PG if they can also shoot at a respectable clip. Bev has never been a bad shooter. We've always had a guy at the point who could hit a shot. Rondo would literally be the worst shooting PG we've had. I mean Rafer Alston cringes when Rondo shoots!

When it worked for Rondo in Boston he was on a team that had guys who did work without the ball, coming off screens, etc. and he would set them up by attacking and dishing to a moving jumpshooter. That isn't what we have here. Harden isn't a guy you want running around screens looking for a catch and shoot opportunity. Ariza certainly isn't.

I just don't see that Rondo's playmaking would be valuable enough to this group to compensate for the fact that his man could abandon him on defense and just double James.

12. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

You can't get two players with the exception right? It has to be one deal correct?

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was impressed by his 3 stroke even though he doesn't seem to hit a good percentage for some reason. He seems like a good fit. Can't remember if he was drafted by the Rockets or if they picked him for some other team in that draft.

14. steddinotayto

He's a decent player on an expiring contract that can shore up our front court. Sure Brewer/Arthur aren't sexy names but I think depth would serve us better than to throw everything we have at Rondo and lose whatever depth or valuable role players we have right now.

15. justtxyank

Agreed. If we grabbed both those dudes today that would be cool with me, but what two players are out?

Garcia is obvious, but who's the next man you are punting?

16. steddinotayto

Me? I'd say goodbye to Daniels if Terry is going to stay with us for the playoffs.

You have Terry, Canaan, and Nick J in the backcourt already.

I was hoping that Daniels would come into this year being our Eddie House but so far that hasn't panned out.

17. Nook

Nook Member

With Donatas playing at a higher level and showing an ability to score consistently in the post, I am not so worried about getting a starter unless it is a clear upgrade (Dragic).
    Concerning Martin, I don't see it happening. Martin has a skill set that would certainly fit well on the Rockets, but Martin was a real problem in the locker room with the Rockets and did not leave on good terms at all. Other than Royce White, I cannot think of another player that was as sour as Martin.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I believe you can bring in as many players as you want until you exhaust the amount of TPE or until the TPE expires; say, Player X for 4 million, then player B for 4.3 million, OOPS!, TPE all gone. But I'm ready to be corrected on that.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's on his 9th year in the league. players have to guard Rondo period. he knows how to make defenses pay.

20. justtxyank

You realize his teams have been terrible once he lost the elite jumpshooting hall of famers he was surrounded with?

Amazing how this so called top PG is having one of the worst shooting performances in history by a PG when he doesn't have jumpshooters surrounding him.

I don't think he knows how to make defenses pay at all. I think he thrived when he had a team that was built in a way that was ideal for his type of PG play.