1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, AC is a great person, and a huge rockets fan. When I listen to his Rockets post game, he is not only knowledgeable, but also funny too. On the morning show, another dude is senior, AC seems to have no much freedom to talk other interesting topics.

2. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

His shtick is a pedestrian version of Jim Rome (which I'm not too crazy about when it's the original).

I also don't like when he talks down to callers. I recognize that sports talk gets some REALLY BAD callers. Those people are easy targets and I'm just not into when gets ultra Mean Girls.

But, I've already ventured too far into the realm of internet tough guy about it. So... to each their own.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

790 sucks now. Charlie P is very knowledgeable but man is he a downer. Basically has no hope for anything.

I actually think Matt Thomas talks a lot about the Rockets and keeps it pretty entertaining.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Hm..it has gotten way out of hand since then. I do remember complaining back in 2006 also though about the amount of coverage the Texans got over the Rockets but the disparity wasn't this bad. The disparity then I could handle and understand, hey it's a football town, so yeah Texans 60% / Rockets&Astros shared the other 40%. That i was able to live with and still listened to sports talk daily.

Now? It's 90% Texans & 10% Rockets/Astros. Completely ridiculous. I just don't even listen because I'm not even hopeful they will have a discussion about the rockets.

There's someone at work here that is the typical Texan Fan that hasn't been one since inception. He has texans gear, he went to the texans game against Dallas awhile back in Dallas, everyone knows him as a Texan fan but then while we were at lunch he was asking about how the playoffs worked and how many teams get in. Referred to Clowney at the beginning of the season as "Um..that guy who supposed to be real good". This guy and others like him make up probably 50% of so called "Die Hard" Texans fans.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I listened to 790 just so I can come here and vent today.

Tuned in around 630 and it's Lance & Michael Conners talking about Bill O Brien's press conference, how he wouldn't answer any questions about the QB situation (As if this is news that he keeps everything close to the vest). Then after like a 10 minute commercial segment they take calls on which topics to ban.

Caller 1: Wants to Ban Jay Cutler Talk
    Caller 2: Wants to Ban Bill O Brien press conference talk
    Caller 3: Wants to Ban Vince Young Talk
    Caller 4: Wants to Ban Case Keenum Talk.

All these topics are football & Texans related, does that tell you something 790??

Then after awhile, I heard Lance mumble "I don't want to deal with the rockets right now"

So this guy can't go and say "Oh I love the rockets, I talk rockets all the time", He just said it on the air.

Around 715 they went into the rockets game last night for about 3 minutes before cutting to commercial.

This is the most pathetic talk show I've ever heard.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

That was their show on my morning drive to work after a thrilling OT win by the rockets to get them to 19-5 & the 3rd incredible performance by Harden a row. Wow and Bill O Brien Press Conference was the main topic of discussion.

7. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

I listened to it too. I actually turned the radio off when they started talking about Gary Coleman and Webster.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yup, because they had nothing else to talk about once 4 straight calls come in requesting to ban football/texans related topics. They rather turn to random actors to discuss then talk about the Rockets.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

WHO CARES IF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ROCKETS!!!

I'm a fan of ALL Houston Sport teams but the Rockets are first and foremost with me, because they've won Championships in the past, they have the best management and owner!

We have to remember, some people LOVE being disappointed and if you continue to live and die with the Astros and Texans, that's what you will get....disappointed.

10. conquistador#11

looks like these cats have mailed it in for christmas. tuned in and they're talking "lists" it's not like we had a huge overtime win or something last night.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

While I've acknowledged the Rockets do need to win at least a playoff series before these local sports shows start to feature them more as a topic of discussion, if a big OT road win that was broadcast on national TV and featured another MVP-caliber performance by Harden can't get at least some reaction from them(and I don't just mean for a few minutes at the beginning of the broadcast), then what the hell are they on the air for?

12. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Until we get a sports station here that isn't caller driven radio it's going to continue to be terrible. Segment radio (i.e. 1310 The Ticket in Dallas) is so much better in my opinion. If we had something similar to that here it would be amazing. They actually stay on the same topic for 9-10 minute segments and you don't have the same idiots who think they're famous because they call in to a terrible sports talk station every morning.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They just finished talking about the NBA and Rockets for the last 20 minutes.

14. Scarface281

Mad Radio (10am to 2pm on 610) do this. It's much more organized. I wish more shows around here did it this way.

15. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Nice, I'll check it out. I pretty much banned 610 a while back (Innes era) but 790 is so bad at times I may need to try it again.

16. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I'll need to hear the podcast, Lance going more than 2 minutes on the Rockets? I don't believe it....

Maybe it's just when I tune in during my rid to work which is from 630 to 715...but I never hear anything but Texans.

17. Scarface281

Probably. They usually have someone from the Rockets on air sometime between 730 and 8. Today they were talking about Drake's PA announcements, Rondo trade, Rockets last night, etc.

18. Scarface281

Same here. Innes turned me off of that whole station, but Mad Radio is good. Only show on the station that I listen to.

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It took my boy Nuño to call in and drop knowledge to get the Rockets conversation going. I miss him on the radio along with MJ and Wex.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No point listening to 790 in the morning except between 7.50- 8:00 when they have someone from the Rockets. They're not great interviews but it's the best you'll get in a morning local sports show hosted by Lance Zierlein the idiot who knows nothing about the NBA or the Rockets. Clanton is a beta who is afraid to take over and talk Rockets when Lance is on air.