1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's not that useful to compare a guy's best 10 stretch to someone else's full season.

Since you did, though, why did you leave out McHale's 2.3 blks vs. Dmo's 0.7?

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

TJones is 6'9" with shoes on with a 7'2" wing span per his draft combine which is as accurate as you are going to get. Since Jones was only 20 during his draft combine it's possible he has grown some but if he has it's clearly not much. Here are some other notable players.

Julius Randal - 6'9" with shoes on and 6'10" wingspan
    Ersan Ilyasova - 6'9" w/shoes and 7'1.25" wingspan
    David Lee - 6'9" w/shoes and 7'0" wingspan
    Jared Sullinger - 6'9" w/shoes and 6'11.5" wingspan
    Anthony Davis - 6'9" w/shoes and 7'2" wingspan
    Carl Landry - 6'9" w/shoes and 6'11.5" wingspan

3. elainas

elainas Member

Agree, but there is wrote are on track- he may be fail, he may be reach, but fact is he show some sparks rigth now.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah, he doesn't have great jumping ability.... but have you see him run on the fast break? He's one of the fastest 7'footers in the league!

D-Mo runs like a gazelle in the open court.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Always wondered how long is DMOs wingspan?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6-11, sub par, but it helps that he's a legit 7 feet tall.

7. dron

dron Member

I would easily say he is one of the fastest 7 footers in the world.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

D-mo is most similar to a less long Pau Gasol. He compensates for this with more quickness

9. basketballholic

Jones is 6'9" ONLY because he has an abnormally long NECK. If he had a normal length neck, he'd be and inch or two shorter.

Heres' some data to back up what I'm saying. Terrence is listed as 6'9.5" tall w/shoes on at draftexpress. Here's just a partial list of players and their height w/shoes on who are shorter than Terrence who all have at least as long or longer standing reach than Terrence who is listed at 8'11".

Michael Beasley 6' 8.5"
    Darrell Arthur 6' 8.5"
    Joey Dorsey 6' 7.5"
    Jason Maxiell 6' 6.6"
    Udonis Haslem 6' 7.5"
    Sam Clancy 6' 7.5"
    Paul George 6' 8.75"
    Patrick Patterson 6' 9.25"
    Jeff Adrien 6' 6.5"
    Trevor Ariza 6' 8.25" (same wingspan as Terrence but a higher standing reach than Terrence)
    Kyle Singler 6' 9"
    Kenneth Faried 6' 7.5"
    Derrick Williams 6' 8.75"
    Tarik Black 6' 8.5"

Necks don't contribute to basketball skill sets except to give a slightly greater advantage in court vision. Terrence's wingspan is slightly above normal but it does not stand out amongst NBA players. 75% of the players in the NBA have longer than normal wingspans for their height. And only a small percentage of NBA players have a shorter than normal wingspan for their height.

Further evidence:

The average wingspan for all players Terrence's height is 7" 0.7". Terrence's wingspan is listed at 7'2.25". He's a less than 2 inches over average. The average standing reach for players 6' 9.5" is a little over 9 feet. Terrence's standing reach is right at that average. So, Terrence has a longer wingspan than average but it's not so long that there aren't many other NBA players that match him. If you culled the data to eliminate all the non-NBA players you would undoubtedly find that Terrence's overall length is average. Terrence Long Neck.

Besides, most of us here have actually watched the games. Terrence's 250 lbs and 6' 9.5" listed height does not translate when he is defending Zach Randolph, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tim Duncan, David West or whoever GS puts at PF. Not to mention Pau, Taj, Love, Millsap, etc. He can't defend any of them and you've got the data to prove what I'm saying is true. I'm not going to list it all here. But needless to say when you cull the actual game data for PLAYOFF matchups....Terrence defensive numbers fall into the garbage bin. And that's playing alongside Dwight for about 90% of his accumulated minutes.

That should tell you something about Terrence's defensive ability if you simply do the research. Yeah, I know, he's only a 3rd year player. And now he's hurt. Wake me up in his 6th season and tell me what he is then. Sorry.

10. kaunomanas

kaunomanas Member

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Basketballhollic folks. Classic material from him once again. When in doubt... Criticize neck length. This guy is amazing. May he never be banned.

1 person likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Raptor King Chris is the unanimous King of Necks

Nobody is getting there so he will looks like a 7 foot Fossil

13. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

I think this moment brought to you by basketballaholic calls for the naming of an All-Neck team. TJones would obviously have to be coming off the bench since Bosh would surely be starting at the 4.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Wow....I don't have a strong opinion on this subject. I do think Dmo has higher potential than jones. But the whole neck thing.....BBH I usually try to stay objective about your posts but that's stretching it.....no pun intended.

15. bongman

bongman Member

What is funnier is that on his list of "trade targets" on his sig, majority of those PF's have a shorter standing reach than TJ. He selectively lists all the freakish long arms in the NBA and conveniently not mention griffin, Milsap, love, etc.

16. jump shooter

That's why he just needs to be ignored lol

17. cml750

cml750 Member

It has to be the beard DMo has grown. Just like Harden, the extra energy produced by the beard has pushed DMo over the top.;)

18. kemah

kemah Member

Can't wait to see the write ups on the size of ones big toe and their performance levels.

19. jump shooter

LMFBO

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Your mom/sister/wife/daughter tells me that Terrence's neck isn't the only abnormally long part about him.

1 person likes this.