1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Motiejunas: They should be afraid of ME.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

Dmo is by far the better post player, that's about it. Jones is the better athlete, shot blocker, shooter. He can also finish strong in the pick n roll. Not to mention, Howard loves playing next to him.

Dmo is great n all but I don't think he's going to start once jones gets back and Dmo is definitely not going to resign here to play as a backup, so might as well trade him now before he becomes a free agent.

2. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

No CHANCE Jones will start if DMo keeps this form going

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The decision whether or not to start Jones or DMo I think comes down to defense.

Question: who would you rather have defending...Dirk, Z-Bo, Aldridge, Griffin, Duncan, Anthony Davis, Cousins, and David Lee?

Last year we all saw Jones struggle to guard most of these guys. Jones just doesn't have the height and the strength to guard these guys...either he gets bullied in the post, or, these great-shooting PFs shoot right over him.

4. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Mario I don't think i've ever seen a non LOF opinion as absurd as that one. If DMo continues to play at even 85% of where he's been these past 11 or so games there is zero, zero, zero chance he sits for TJones. He's playing way, way better than TJones ever did. And I was on Team Jones for all of last year.

Better defender? Can create his own shots? Ideal PF/C size? Cool, you're in the starting lineup.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

No way. Dmo is starting. Jones is best in a Lamar Odom type 6th man role. Dmo starting with Dwight has more potential.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I seem to recall just a couple weeks prior to the start of the season, Clutchfans thought DMo couldn't even be traded for hot garbage.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think jones has josh smith type of potential, except without the low basketball iq and at a fraction of the cost.

I think you guys are being prisoner of the moment here. Jones is an absolute stud and he's only 22 years old. You guys are being too hard on him for getting owned by Aldridge in the playoffs.

Aldridge was unstoppable. Didnt matter who was guarding him that series, asik, jones and howard couldn't stop him and neither would Dmo.

Do you guys not remember that just a couple of weeks ago, you would've traded Dmo for a bag of potato chips? Lol

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's horrifying.

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

There is no way Jones comes back to is in the starting line-up. Being on for an extended time with the high level Dmo is playing, he will have to earn the starting job back.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...coming off of nerve problems, I'm sure Jones will be brought back slowly-definitely not a starter over Dmo any time soon but he'll get some decent minutes in the 3 man big rotation.i oils like to see Jones and Dmo play together in spurts when Dwight needs a breather.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

sorry, but its WAYY more than that. Jones benefits a lot from cleaning up after dwight when we play poor defensive teams, and he simply gets stomped on the defensive end (almost just as bad as Harden last year). If he could have been able to knock that 3 ball down consistently, I would pick him, but the only thing he has over Dmo atm is athleticism.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Posted this back in September:

I think the Rockets figured out the same thing - albeit out of necessity due to injuries, but it's good to see Motiejunas performing well and pushing our expectations from him!
    Keep working his post game; teach him to finish his moves closer to the basket and reduce the number of fall away hooks more than 3ft from the basket. That is the next step for DMo to post play greatness

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Good call.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You're wrong, Jones does the stomping.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

16. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

D Mo fa 3 Mo

17. jedicro

jedicro Member

There's a decent debate to be had about who is the better offensive player. Jones is exceptional finishing around the rim, is a great PnR partner/garbage man and his post game has shown major growth.

Where there is no debate is on the defensive end. I like Jones a lot, but he will get straight murdered by bigger PFs. It's a major problem, and it's one of the main reasons we lost last year. DMo solves that problem. Now jones can use his skills (which are considerable, I'm actually a big fan of Jones) off the bench where his defensive shortcomings will not be as severe.

18. basketballholic

2 for 4 baby. 2 for 4.

Keep those 3-ballz coming big fella.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, he is becoming more confident with the 3 ball, and his mid range shot will get better with time too.

20. nobie

nobie Member

it was more like 2 for 3, one of his shot's were at last second from mid court.