1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Torture Work? The C.I.A.’s Claims and What the Committee Found

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Apps

Apps Member

There are people on this site who actually support torture. Huh.

Copy pasted from a Reddit post:

I wonder how some posters are going to try to make this all "look good".

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Let me ask a question, and this pertains more to my viewpoint. What does releasing this report to the public accomplish for the benefit of the United States? Not Obama, not the Democratic Party, the United States? Does it make us safer? Does it improve relations among our allies? Does it improve relations between the Washington bureaucracies? Does it improve bipartisanship? Hell, if you want to be all white knight about truth and ****, does it reveal anything new aside from lurid details? It's not like "enhanced interrogation methods occurred under the Bush administration" is a complete bombshell out of nowhere.

Or is it just political grandstanding ( which will have repercussions down the line if/when the GOP Congress decides to go into Obama and drones) and further self-flagellation by decadent progressive Westerners?

4. treeman

treeman Member

Ya know, I am not gonna put a whole lotta stock into a document written by Democrat staffers who declined to even ask anyone at CIA what really happened. I am gonna put a lot more stock into what the guy who actually ran the agency says.

Former CIA Director Braces for 'Torture Report'

Former Central Intelligence Agency director Michael Hayden on Sunday rejected accusations that the agency lied about its use of so-called enhanced interrogation techniques just ahead of the release of the much anticipated "torture report" prepared by the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is expected Tuesday. Hayden also asserted that not only are the report's conclusions not true, but it could be used as justification by terrorist organizations to attack U.S. personnel and facilities abroad, if released.

"To say that we relentlessly over an expanded period of time lied to everyone about a program that wasn't doing any good, that beggars the imagination," said Hayden on CBS's Face The Nation.

Full Story for Those Who Dare Click Truth:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/12/former-cia-director-hayden-warns-against-releasing-senate-torture-report/383491/

This report is pure political garbage. It's because of crapola like this that the Democrat party has completely and permanently burned their bridges with me. These people are traitors as far as I am concerned. They ALWAYS put political considerations ahead of national security. And to me that is traitorous.

Take that as you want, I don't care. Traitors.

5. treeman

treeman Member

Oh, and if you doubt that this is a political report... Why was its release only approved by the committee's Democrats? The Republicans are planning on releasing a separate report (one in which someone might actually have talked to someone in the CIA, BTW).

This is COMPLETE politicized garbage. Libtard jerkoff material. That's it.

And its release may well get some people killed, BTW. Traitors. :mad:

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of things.

1. Torture isn't effective, and that's been known for some time.

2. Even it was effective, it isn't right to use it. I heard someone say you don't question whether chemical weapons are effective, you just don't use them because it's wrong.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Hopefully if there's ever a case where the CIA and our executive branch is deciding whether or not to authorize torture, this report will deter them.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You're wrong about rights applying to non-citizens. One of the rights is that of a fair trial. These guys didn't get trials so you can't really claim they've committed crimes because that hasn't been proven. In fact the report shows that the CIA weren't even sure who some of the prisoners they had were. They weren't even sure they had committed crimes.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Supposing the stuff in the report is true, do you think it should still be hidden from the public? If not, then whatever you are bringing up here is beside the point. If so, then there is a major loop-hole in how we do things. The government can commit all kinds of unspeakable acts and not be held accountable for it.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's no conflicting reports, there's the discredited claims of Cheney crew that require the existence of time machines.

11. treeman

treeman Member

Hey libtard Dems, honest question: Would you give any report of this magnitude a second thought if it were passed on a strictly partisan vote, with all Republicans opposing?

Picture this: Senate Republicans publish a report that states that the EPA fabricated data in order to support rule changes that impacted how refineries operate, mandating that they reduce output. This report might result in rule changes that would increase refinery output. Say all Democrats opposed the report, and all Republicans on the relevant committee supported it. The EPA Director presents evidence that the report that was delivered was incorrect.

What does your gut tell you?

12. SamFisher

I have to admit, it moved a bit when I read this. :)

It must be hard to go through life posessing the ultimate revealed truth and yet have not really done much with it other than a smattering of Libtard related rants.

13. treeman

treeman Member

Why do you suppose it was true? It was written by Democrat staffers who didn't bother to actually talk to anyone involved in the programs.

The CIA says that they cherry picked information in order to create the narrative that they wanted. I am inclined to believe the CIA over a bunch of Dem staffers.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Hey repubf^ck cons, honest question are you aware that there are Republicans who supported the release of this report?

1 person likes this.
  15. treeman

treeman Member

Click on just a couple of red lines... Traitors.

I don't expect any Dems to understand what trust I speak of at this point. You either get it or you don't. And a bunch of you don't.

This topic will make my blood boil, so it's best I don't even bother. Just understand libtards: once you hamstring our intelligence agencies, once you castrate our military, there is no one left to keep the wolves at bay. And they will want to kill you first when they get here.

This one will come home. Book it. Adios.

16. Buck Turgidson

Frank! What the hell are you doing?

I'm waterboarding your sister.

Oh, ok, does that torture stuff really work?

You bet your ass it works, I even got Dee to admit to things she never did!!!

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If by hamstringing intel agencies you mean they actually follow the law, then hamstring them. If you mean that we castrate our military by abiding by the Geneva Convention then castrate them.

If you don't think our nation can't do that and still keep the wolves at bay, then you have a lower opinion of our nation than I do. I guess we disagree.

But if behaving morally and following the Geneva Convention, law, and having actual morals in our governance is what allows the wolves in, then so be it. If we have to be break those laws and Geneva Convention, and abandon all of our principles then the nation doesn't deserve to survive.

I'd happily cheer the downfall of any nation that authorizes torture, and imprisoning folks without sufficient cause.

18. SamFisher

Adios amigo.

maybe put Red Dawn on repeat to soothe your troubled soul.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I had no idea that treeman would show up and call people traitors in some unhinged weirdo rant, asking everyone to click a link if they dare find out the truth. :grin:

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Picture this:

You spend the entirety of your life defending "a nation of laws" not men, then watch this happen with venom---for people unearthing the violations.

This is what a nation of laws means.