1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. I see what you did there. :grin:

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I never said players like him "grow on trees", DMo has played well. But, 12/8 is not franchise player numbers. Gasol, at 24, avg 20/8 per 36 min. Duncan avg 20/11 per 36 min, at 24, anchored a top defense, was a champion, a finals mvp, and multiple times all star. DMo ain't that good.

He's developing but some of these comments are just ridiculous.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yea I agree. I am as pleasantly surprised at DMo's development in the last few games as anyone else, but Jones has put up some monster games in the last year and not as many folks seem to get as excited about those.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's people looking at the skill set rather than just looking at numbers. DMo's skill set is amazing for a 7 foot tall PF and that'll ensure he makes a ton of cash when he hits FA, Jones is an undersized PF that relies almost entirely on athleticism....that doesn't get people as excited.

5. Progs

Progs Member

Dmo could easily average 18-20 points a game if they gave him the ball in the post as much as they give it Dwight.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I'm not trolling right is right, and wrong is wrong, and you people in here are biased as **** toward players no one even care about outside of Houston.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to see what Jones and DMo get from their respective FA deals.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

DMo will almost certainly get significantly more based on the fact that he's a 7 footer alone. Guys like Jones are pretty common.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We'll see. At the beginning of the season Jones would have certainly gotten more. If DMo can keep up his play in the last few games the rest of the season, he'll probably get more. Especially if Jones misses significant time due to injury and isn't the same.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

To follow up on this point, I searched players on Basketball Reference who were 22 or younger and averaged Jones' averages last season (12.1/6.9/1.1), and this list came up:

Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond
    Terrence Jones
    Derrick Favors
    Tobias Harris
    Jared Sullinger
    Enes Kanter

Jones was third on that list in win shares. So guys like Jones aren't THAT common.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpsl_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26match%3Dsingle%26type%3Dper_game%26per_minute_base%3D36%26per_poss_base%3D100%26lg_id%3DNBA%26is_playoffs%3DN%26year_min%3D2014%26year_max%3D2014%26franch_id%3D%26season_start%3D1%26season_end%3D-1%26age_min%3D18%26age_max%3D22%26height_min%3D0%26height_max%3D99%26shoot_hand%3D%26birth_country_is%3DY%26birth_country%3D%26birth_state%3D%26college_id%3D%26is_active%3D%26debut_yr_nba_start%3D%26debut_yr_nba_end%3D%26debut_yr_aba_start%3D%26debut_yr_aba_end%3D%26is_hof%3D%26is_as%3D%26as_comp%3Dgt%26as_val%3D%26award%3D%26pos_is_g%3DY%26pos_is_gf%3DY%26pos_is_f%3DY%26pos_is_fg%3DY%26pos_is_fc%3DY%26pos_is_c%3DY%26pos_is_cf%3DY%26qual%3D%26c1stat%3Dpts_per_g%26c1comp%3Dgt%26c1val%3D12.1%26c2stat%3Dtrb_per_g%26c2comp%3Dgt%26c2val%3D6.9%26c3stat%3D%26c3comp%3Dgt%26c3val%3D%26c4stat%3D%26c4comp%3Dgt%26c4val%3D%26c5stat%3D%26c5comp%3Dgt%26c6mult%3D1.0%26c6stat%3D%26order_by%3Dws&div=div_stats"></script>

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

One of the things that's pleasantly surprised me about DMo is that he's hitting his FTs as of late. I would get so frustrated in the previous years because he has pretty solid form.
    I hope he continues to contribute at the stripe since none of our big men can consistently do that.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Like Bobby stated is not about looking at numbers but the skill set. The list of players you just put up are on bad teams excluding the pelicans this year. Terrence is on the best team out of all those players so win shares in this case means nothing.

13. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Confidence does WONDERS to a players game and now that he has it Mchale needs to make sure he keeps that. When Howard comes back he will shoot a few more jumpers than we would like. However that doesn't mean it needs to be 3 pointers. I would love to see him add a mid-range to his game, which would make him all star material in my opinion. Every time he shoots a jumper it seems like its a 3, I would be more welcoming to 15-18 ft shots rather than threes.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

True, but I'd imagine Jones' stats would be better if he was on a bad team.

I'm just looking forward to Howard coming back and if DMo can continue his stellar play. One of the most important things he can do will is box out and grab boards when Howard leaves his man to help out on a block. Jones was never really good at that.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Oh and I agree with this. I'd love for DMo to develop a midrange game to provide some more spacing in the starting lineup. He needs to leave those threes alone sometimes, he's been doing a good job of that as of late.

16. basketballholic

Some of the players with more win shares than Terrence:
    Robin Lopez
    George Hill
    David Lee

Some players with less win shares than Terrence:
    Kyrie Irving
    Paul Millsap
    Klay Thompson
    Zach Randolph
    Tony Parker
    Manu Ginobilli
    Marc Gasol
    Dwayne Wade
    Roy Hibbert
    Derrick Favors
    Pau Gasol
    Gordon Hayward
    .....and many others

Does that mean Terrence is a better player than these guys???

Win shares by themselves mean nothing. They're a function of playing time on a GOOD TEAM! Not a function of being a good, young player. You could've put Tyler Hansbrough or Reggie Ballgrabber at 4 spot for this team last year and they would've compiled the same (and maybe even more) win shares.

Now, let's look at WS/48 so we take the minutes factor out of the equation:

Here's a list of players with greater WS/48 than Terrence:
    Cole Aldrich
    Chris Copeland
    Chris Andersen
    Drew Gooden

Are those guys better than Terrence???

Here's a list of players that had worse WS/48 than Terrence:
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Bosh
    Lamarcus
    Marc Gasol

......too many to list....

Terrence isn't better than any of them.

Here's the truth:

Terrence was fortunate enough to be 22 years old and HANDED the starting PF slot and major minutes on a team composed of James Harden, Dwight Howard, Chandler Parsons, and Patrick Beverley, and others. Terrence enjoyed the benefit of playing alongside those guys....a rare occasion for a 22-year old player on a rookie contract. It says NOTHING about how good or bad of a player Terrence is because he accumulated win shares at age 22 playing alongside Dwight and Harden.

Now if Terrence had accumulated those win shares while leading a team of average players.....then at age 22 that is saying something. But not when you are an ancillary player simply plugged into a championship contending team.

You can't look at data and stats in a vacuum. Even advanced stats. You have to consider all the factors.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And what do the numbers say?

D-Mo is playing phenomenally well on defense. The Rockets without Bev and Howard are playing every bit as well as they were on defense before the injuries occurred. That in itself says a lot. A whole lot. And the Rockets defense has been just above miserable when D-Mo is on the bench.

On offense D-Mo is becoming a force. He is putting up some serious points on relatively little shooting. In the Memphis game, against one of the best 4-5 combos in the NBA, D-mo put up 15 on 10 shots. Given the current trend, until the defense starts doubling, his number of points in the post is only limited by the number of successful entry passes.

D-Mo may be one of the rarest of players in the NBA. A true center that can guard the best power forwards in the league. That combination only comes around once in a very long time. We should enjoy it while he is here. Because he probably is heading to a max level contract in the summer of 2016.

A very underrated part of D-Mo's game is his assists and his ability to get out on the fast break. You all have seen it, so I do not think I have to explain it.

18. basketballholic

And just to take it a step further.....if you think that Terrence could've held together the interior of this team while Dwight and DMo were out over the last 14 games and you think we would have the same or better record....then you're not being rational. Terrence cannot match up against teams with double big bigs....even when he has Dwight next to him. Much less try to match up against double big bigs with guys like Black and Dorsey alongside him.

DMo has politely stepped past Terrence while Terrence has been out. No way could Terrence come close to giving this team the overall play that DMo has given us over this last stretch with Dwight gone.

But you'll argue...well, Terrence is not a center. And I'll simply say....Terrence cannot effectively defend centers nor can he effectively defend big power forwards like Randolph, Dirk, etc. But.......DMo can and is, and DMo is taking them to school down low on the offensive end. Terrence can't do that either. Those bigs would swallow Terrence on the offensive end if he attempted to post up in the paint against them. And we all know he can't shoot from outside either. The only thing Terrence can do effectively at the PF position is dribble the length of the floor better than almost every PF in the league. But that skill DOES NOT translate to added wins. If we didn't have DMo right now but we had Terrence we'd be getting killed out there.

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lol smh, its not that serious, the team will be fine

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh my God ... That jtr and bballhollic Dmo double team right there.... Dayum .

I agree almost completely. I think right now we have too small sample sizes of both players to truly determine who is better and fit . The better question is also completely irrelevant because we need both to play well. The fit is more important , but like I said we don't know that yet . I've been as big of a supporter of Dmo as anyone ( maybe sans jtr) , but jones should still have a legitimate claim the starting spot if he plays better when he comes back . I don't think it will happen , but it might . The coaching staff may also decide that they need dmo to come off the bench because is the only one that can handle the 5 when Dwight is out and we need 48 minutes of plus defense at that spot; again, I disagree but we will see.

Dwight does need to come back for us to know . Jones does need to come back for us to know . Until then this is all speculation and shady speculation at that . Players need to be evaluated at the margin. If dmo and Tjones have both significantly improved... Then any data from last year will not be predictive. Especially since the overall style and surrounding personnel of the rockets has changed. I'm assuming Dwight will come back well before jones, during that time period we will get a glimpse of how dmo and d12 mesh . It might not be a big enough sample size to really know then too. We just have to hope that the coaches make the right call. I do hope that dmo gets a fair shot at it though. I feel that he really should have at least gotten a chance in the playoffs last year. I think even when jones comes back he will have missed enough time to have to start off the bench .

There is some pretty insightful analysis in here and I've enjoyed reading most of it. Don't let the trolls bite.