1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston apartment supply higher than demand in 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

It's known as a lobbyist organization

2. Man

Man Contributing Member

Where did you get a 7% property value increase? Where are your debt payments? If we compare to renting, we'll need to include maintenance costs and property taxes.

3. da1

da1 Member

What guy has sweet in his nickname?

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I used an arbitrary figure for the property value increase. I left debt payments out of the equation because it was meant to illustrate an investment return on debt. This, however, assumes you have good credit and can get cheap debt.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

are you sure you know what that means and why in the context of being a Houstonian that's a good thing?

moreover, why would that impact their research program? it would be too easy to catch them faking numbers - I use the same data sources they do.

6. da1

da1 Member

Tell me what was so good about Houston greater partnership lobbying to not allow hobby airport to become an international airport. Because United was paying them to say that? Is that good for Houston?

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the fact that he thinks the GHP is strictly a "lobbyist organization" and that their numbers - which are widely used by all sorts of companies both public and private - are somehow manipulated should tell you all you need to know abou this dude.

he just likes b****ing about Houston - if it isn't apartment overbuilding it's overvalued homeprices or our lack of tourist attractions or lack of mass transit or our lack of bike lanes or our shortcomings vs nyc/sf/chi/insert city here or the drop in oil prices or our lack of zoning etc etc etc.

the next time he posts something that paints houston in a positive light will be his first. it's strange.

8. studogg

so one issue you disagree with and that eliminates their validity in everything else? They lobby on behalf of the interests of the city of Houston and it's economic viability moving forward. For it's ability to lure and attain foreign capital investments that bring job creation. In luring major corporations doing multi-state searches for headquarters.

Again - how does it impact anything at all with relation to the topic at hand?

The answer is it doesn't. Let it go and walk away.

9. studogg

he's obviously poorly educated on the facts and running straight off negative headlines. it's curious he's so vocal in something he has such limited knowledge in.

10. SWTsig

easily my biggest gripe... he's just flat out uneducated on so many issues yet is so opinionated.

11. da1

da1 Member

Tell me again what was good about that viewpoint. It's not just this one I can find more. Whoring yourself for $$$ is not respectable.

12. da1

da1 Member

Maybe because I travel all around the world and see places that I aspire Houston to be. Or maybe I shouldn't compare it in the first place. Then it wouldn't really be a world class city.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

all I can say is 40% of new job creation since 2000 is from Texas. (with the energy industry). So if oil goes down to $65 a barrel, then kaboom. kaboom to everything. these apartments will be shells.

14. da1

da1 Member

The Texas Supreme Court on Friday refused to hear a lawsuit by Greater Houston Partnership that could have limited the public's right to know about government money sent to private groups.

Seven years ago, Montgomery County resident Jim Jenkins, curious about money The Woodlands sent to GHP for economic development, wanted to see how the taxpayer funds were spent. He requested GHP's check register. GHP fought him all the way to the high court.

houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Decision-in-Greater-Houston-case-preserves-5799523.php

15. SWTsig

again, i don't think the market fundamentals point towards a total crash... they just don't. oil hit $35 a barrel in 2008 and Houston seemed to fair alright granted the impetus for the drastic decline was different. there's no doubt a slow down is coming but this sort of 1985-esque collapse is extremely far fetched. do people actually think we're going to go from +120K jobs a year to -100K overnight?

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

look...shiny keys.

17. da1

da1 Member

Maybe not an 80's like crash but there will be a significant impact. Houston wasn't immune to the recession.

18. studogg

this is exactly correct.

In 2007 I tried to draw the correlation to the 80's and just couldn't because the 80's numbers were so ridiculous. We are even better positioned than we were in 2007 so while a slowdown may come - the fed will ease rates, Opec will falter and raise oil prices (as they always do) and the engine will get going again.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't get the hate. He likes to talk about issues around urban planning. Obviously, his philosophy on it is different from yours, but he's obviously sincere and not trolling. You seem too sensitive about affronts to Houston's honor. For a Houston-centric board, I think these are good conversations to have.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

There's been countless new apartments, lofts, and high rises going up for over a decade. I wondered if Houston would have enough people to fill them.