1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Cush can escape this year without injury, you keep him.

Foster won't be cut. He is too good.

JJo getting cut depends on Bouye's ability.

Retain Jackson PLEASE!

I wouldn't mind adding Nick Fairley in free agency? :)

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Cushing is cut no matter what.

2) Foster will probably stick around.

3) JJo has a chance, I think he stays if Jackson goes.

4) Jackson will come down to what the market dictates.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cush would not only have to stay healthy, but continue to improve as the season went on. Last week's second half was the first time this season that he was a + on the field.

Foster is expensive... but yes, he's still good.

Joseph/Jackson both have a good chance of being gone... and that would make rebuilding the secondary one of the primary (no pun intended) goals for next season.

4. tmacfor35

You have to keep one.

Jackson would be solid at 6-8 million.

He has been our best corner for two years.

JJo had his best game of the year last week and hopefully he does it again this week.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Oh no you don't...!!!

6. tmacfor35

This team is not ready for a total rebuild at secondary if they want to compete now.

I certainly don't think BOB will want to wait out that growth process.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd try to keep Kareem Jackson if possible, but he could try to break the bank.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Keep Joseph for cheap

9. Remii

Remii Member

Those youngsters may can replace those guys, and or address that position in the draft, and or grab some cheaper players off the free agent market. The safety position is what really needs to be concentrated on (in the secondary)... Because if Clowney steps up _ the front 7 can help the corners. And it's rare you see a dominate defense without very good to great safety play but you do see very good to dominate defenses without very good to great corners. So it wouldn't be necessarily a rebuild.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to see DJ Swag gone either...

I'm sure no one wants to wait... But Bob McNair is the owner so it's not like he's under the gun. He'll get all the time on his contract as long as the wheels don't fall completely off.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

how? he's due 9mil next yr.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

he means renegotiate the contract. If Joseph stays healthy though, I see no reason why he has to do that. He's proving to be a shutdown corner when healthy still.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

So why would he renegotiate to take less money?

I'm quite certain the Texans won't renegotiate to create present cap flexibility at future cap's expense. Hopefully those days are over.

It will be either JJo or Jackson next year. I'd be shocked if they have em both.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Because the renegotiated contract is more than he can get in the open market. If they renegotiate down to $8, and his agent says all you can get on the open market is $6 then you take it.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It will literally cost more to cut Cush than keep him; he's not going anywhere.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he doesn't play at least to the level that he did in the second half of the last game... he's a liability on the field.

I honestly think they win the Steelers game (or at least somewhat mitigate that terrible stretch) if he wasn't on the field.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

still arguing contract details from one game?

I've got some beachfront property in Arizona you can fight over instead!

17. Hey Now!

You keep throwing out Foster and Cushing... AJ and JJo are likely gone, reagrdless. They'll cost $28MM to keep; $11MM to cut. Other than that, there's no need to start going Jason Voorhees on this roster to franchise Mallett; that's just not reality.

They've gotten ZERO production out of Alfred Blue? It hasn't been a terrific class, obviously - but they showed a possible skill at stealing players late (Blue, Prosch, Hal) so if they can shore up the top of the draft (and I don't think Clowney was the *wrong* pick; it's just been an unfortunate start to his career), it's possible they could find 3-4 contributors in the draft.

It's not magic; it's releasing two players they're probably going to release no matter what.

And I hope they can; I just don't find it very realistic. You've provided no incentive for Mallett to not steer toward the franchise tag. Why would he take less money?

Again, this all assumes he's really, really good. If so, he will hold all the cards.

18. Hey Now!

Releasing him costs $10.2MM against next year's cap; keeping him costs $8.0MM. He's not going anywhere.

19. Hey Now!

If they want to mega cap room, AJ, JJo and Myers are the most viable. Collectively, they'd save $23.3MM if released. You could throw Graham into the mix, too, bringing the total to $25.8.

You could additionally save $4.5MM releasing Brown; $4MM releasing Foster. Just FYI'ing.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

$4.5M for a LT of Brown's caliber is a steal IMO, even with the massive regression.