1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans @ Browns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 12, 2014.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Aided by Mallets ability to convert thirds in the air, tire out the d, and audible to the correct plays.

Give the guy credit.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Cushing tried his best to give Johnny a chance to play because he was straight blasting Hoyer... The break did him well.

Mallet didn't take a sack yesterday. Was the offensive line better _ or does Fitzpatrick just suck...??? Looks like the Texans have their quarterback.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

:confused:

The guy played a very good game, I dont know what else you'd want me to say? He had the best game ever?

You talk about how Mallett was able to convert 3rd downs...he was 5-9 throwing the ball on third downs with 0 TDs and 1 INT. The Texans converted 7-18 third downs yesterday, which is right on par with what they had been doing all season.

Again, he played a very good game...and Im giving the guy credit...but more credit goes to the offensive line, running game, and the defense.

It's exciting that he showed he has potential and Im looking forward to the next game, but Im also not going to sit here and let his play cloud my judgement of what actually took place...in other words, pretty much any QB would have won the game for the Texans with that defense and running game working like that. The good thing is that Mallett showed he can handle the offense and he can make solid throws, so in the event we need to lean on him more heavily, he'll be able to hopefully carry the offense.

4. rezdawg

Here is the excerpt from PFF:

Pretty much exactly as I stated (I should work for them on the side)...problem is that 98% of this board just rides on emotion and that tends to lead to inaccurate judgement, because the heart doesnt allow the eyes to see the truth.

5. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Yes a very nice change of pace from Mr. Schaub who I don't think smiled once the entire time he was here

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

you don't understand football.

why do you think the oline looked better yesterday? Why do you think we were successful in uptempo which wore out their d and allowed our run game to shine.

did you notice that the ball spread around quite a bit? did you notice we actually have tight ends? Did you notice the team looked motivated for once?

did mallet underthrow some balls? yes he did.

did he make a couple wrong reads? yes he did.

did he make a few dangerous passes? yes he did. (but with his velocity, get used to this)

this was his first start in the nfl. ever. would you ever join the navy if you didn't like the gravy and the rice? think about it.

7. rezdawg

So you pretty much stated what Ive stated. What's your point?

People are calling him the future and franchise QB we have been looking for...a little early to declare that, imo.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

9. studogg

no - you stated the oline played better. you didn't inidicate that it was a bi-product of a QB knowing the system and making quick reads so that they didn't have to block for 5 seconds.

no - you stated that his metrics sucked and I stated to look beyond the metrics at things like energy and pace.

I agree you don't annoint a starter after 1 game. I also am worried about his accuracy, but frankly, his accuracy looked better than fitzpatrick and not much different than schaubs.

last year, case was limited by many factors, thus his sharp regression. with mallett, it won't be a one week crash back to earth, he knows the system too well. if anything, it will be when teams pickup on his read tendencies and start picking him off. that's 3-4 games in.

he may not be legit, but this is the first youth at the qb position this team has ever had to get excited about - san david carr.

10. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

OL held up well
    and
    Mallet lets it go very quickly

11. Remii

Remii Member

Yep, anytime you watch the games on all 22 _ it was obvious Fitzpatrick held the ball too long.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha

13. rezdawg

Im talking about the running game...50 carries for 200+ yards. That keeps the chains moving and the clock running. On passing downs, Mallett did a great job of getting the ball out. Very Brady-esque. But, no doubt his job was easier because the OLine was blocking insanely well for Blue.

I didnt mention at all that his metrics sucked...I said that his 3rd down conversions werent any better than Fitz and the Texans offense prior to week 11. I was responding to the post saying that Mallett was converting 3rds in the air...which is true to an extent, but not any more so than what Fitz was doing.

I'd trust Mallett's accuracy more than Fitz's...mostly because of velocity. A lot of those 10-15 yard throws (like the ones to Graham), we're thrown so hard that it would make it more difficult for a defender to pick off. Plus, Mallett's height will keep balls from being tipped at the LOS, so that's a huge advantage.

Agree. Again, my comments arent "hating" like ynelilvs pointed out...but I also dont think it was a world changing performance like others have mentioned. It was a solid effort and Im not sure he could have done much more because there just wasnt much reliance on him. He did his part well though.

14. studogg

my bad. poor reading comprehension on my part. thanks for being calm and collected throughout.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Mallet was a big reason for the performance of the offense. He let Cleveland know from jump they would have to guard the entire field (unlike with Fitzpatrick) and kept the safeties out of the box for the most part. Cleveland has a terrible run defense one of the worst in the league. Foster probably would have had well over 200 yards if he was playing.

16. rezdawg

This is the NFL...a team isnt going to change their defense because the opposing QB goes 1-4 on deep balls, with one of them being picked off. The Browns had no reason to keep both safeties out of the box. Until Mallett shows accuracy in that department, it wont play much of a role. There are a lot of teams that go deep a few times a game...but that doesnt result in the running game going off for 200+ yards.

The offense running smoothly had more to do with Mallett's quick throws than his deep balls. His deep balls were not impressive yesterday and didnt really play a factor in how the defense played us.

His quick decision on where to go with the ball was more of a factor than anything else he did yesterday.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ok cool. Either way, Mallet did help the run game. Nobody is anointing him after one game, but he's clearly looks like an upgrade over Fitz.

sidenote- Lawrence Taylor won B2B DPOYs in '81 and '82

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

@rezdawg too soon. Let the fans enjoy the win. Save the dose of reality for at least a couple days

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Colts lost Bradshaw for season, and most likely Dwayne Allen for longer.

Damn!

20. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member