1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing In Mexico...Bad Idea.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets0515, Nov 8, 2014.

1. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

We used to go there twice a year to visit the family but it's been like 3 and a half years (it feels like 10) since we've gone. With the riots going on, not to mention the altitude (it's even more elevated than Denver) I'm all for relocating the game back to the U.S.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The game is in the heart of Mexico City. If you've ever been there you'd know that its pretty damn safe even for gringos. I go there and Tijuana a couple times a year for work by myself and I've never felt unsafe staying in the downtown area (of course growing up in 80's - 90's Houston prepares you for pretty much anything).

People like the OP, no disrespect, have no idea what they are talking about.

There is a big difference between border town Mexico vs. urban Mexico City.

The teams will have the best security money can buy, and will probably stay directly across the street at a four seasons that's nicer than any hotel you've stepped foot in.

They will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

I've stayed at the George Cinq (Four Seasons Hotel) in Paris brah... it was probably as nice as the Mexico city hotel.

5. dobro1229

Good for you brah.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly! Bunch of p*****s in here that can't even watch a game on TV that takes places in Mexico City. Reschedule the game? Hah yall soft man

7. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

It's a good thing our players don't need to speak Mexican. Basketball is the only language required for a day in Mexico.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Exactly. The downtown area of the major cities in most countries of the world are well guarded and secure. Countries do not want to scare away the business men or the NBA athletes.

If you are a smart tourist you are safe most everywhere. Provided it is not on the State Departments list of places to avoid. By local clothes, a hat, cheap sunglasses and don't walk around with your Nikon camera hanging from your neck.

9. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

lol so I get called Ignorant and accused of not knowing what im talking about for questioning playing a game in a country where 43... FORTY THREE college students are abducted and burned alive in a mass grave for protesting education policies and no one is brought to justice over it because the people in charge were involved. Nice Logic. My point wasn't that I think the players are in danger when they are there, Its more so that Mexico doesn't deserve the game when **** like that is happening on the regular.

10. dobro1229

You are taking about a league that has a prominent Russian owner, and whose largest audience demographic outside of the US is communist China.

It's a business decision more than anything. It's a location where they can touch the biggest foreign population at the shortest travel distance. I Think a lot of countries deserve a game more than Mexico but I realize it's a business decision at the end of the day.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Think of it like this, for 2 hours, the citizens of Mexico get to escape their harsh realties and enjoy some fun NBA basketball. I don't care where you live, people deserve some happy times once in a while.

12. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

James, under no circumstances will you protest non-foul calls. You see what they do to protesters here?

Same goes for you Dwight. :grin:

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I know you're being facetious, but a realistic perception of fear is healthy. It's what keeps you from playing in traffic.

14. Aware

Aware Member

lol its Mexico city not michoacan or sinaloa. While some areas of Mexico are sketchy as hell, youll be fine as long as you stick to the main roads/spots and dont venture out to trouble areas.

the only thing i would worry about would be the altitude affecting the team

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The game is for the fans, not the govt...

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Do the Mexican people even speak Mexican? ;)

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

That's true, but you can't really just assume and go in the mind of typically unstable people. You wouldn't wan't your kid to walk through a dangerous neighborhood because gangs wouldn't want to get police attention. Unecessary risk. Come to think of it that was a probably a pretty ****ty analogy, but still.

Not to go D&D here but cartels have done some pretty terrorist-esque acts. There #1 goal is money, not to spread their message, but they are just as vicious and capable.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I feel slightly better knowing that Detlef Schrempf is in D.F.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Traffic in Mexico City is horrible. Have sat in the van close to 4 h today</p>&mdash; Detlef Schrempf (@Dschrempf) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dschrempf/status/531993814479544320">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yeah but do you even Holiday Inn breh?

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

with the paul george injury im more worried about having our team play in any non-nba arena..