1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell has got to go.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningferron, Apr 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

If he could just stop saying #1 Draft Choice instead of 1st round pick

1 person likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The real question is: what happened to Johnny Egan?

3. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

He's perfect for this town!LOL

4. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I want to rip my ears off every time I hear this.

5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Pretty much this, but a little more objectivity wouldn't hurt. When they show a replay and Bill (especially with Bull) just rambles on about a foul being called wrong in his opinion, he needs to be calmed down. That's why Calvin worked so well with him, a lot of times he would correct him and the other way around.

Take the game against he 76ers where a guy tried to pass James and basically lost the ball due to his own doing. However, Harden CLEARLY stuck out his arm and made contact. Objectively you could've said he lost the ball and right after made contact with Harden and in a split second decision, you could easily understand why the referee made that call. Bill and Bull however started rambling that Harden was just standing there, even after they showed the replay twice they kept saying the same thing.

Going on a blind tirade is not what you want from opponent's commentators, because it shows their bias and is even more annoying sometimes than a referee making a bad call. A referee does not have the option of replaying everything, so you would expect at least after you spoke your mind, you would use replay to see if you were right or wrong. Good commentators will at least acknowledge it was a tough call to make and not just stick to their opinion, when footage CLEARLY shows otherwise.

Bullard is much more of a homer though, although he doesn't seem to go too crazy this early in the season, probably because we are winning ;)

6. cmutt

cmutt Member

My 2 cents...

Bill is a legend. He's been doing Houston sports for more years than many of us have even been alive, and he's the epitome of a true professional.
    I too have listened to announcers from other teams and compared to them, Bill ranks among the best in terms of knowledge, experience, eloquence, charm, and overall entertainment ability.

In terms of homerism... sure, he's for the Rockets, after all, he's the "Rockets" announcer. But IMO, he's always been pretty honest and fair when it comes to basketball plays and basketball analysis. Sure, he'd like things to lean more towards the Rockets favor when it comes to the Refs making calls and such, but who wouldn't.

And let's not forget... Bill didn't hesitate to call out T-Mac (live on TV) during the Rockets Vs TWolves game, which was during T-Mac's 1st week back after he had been declaring himself 100% healthy and ready to play to the media for many weeks prior.
    Then T-Mac plays in this game against the TWolves and proceeds to play uninspired, half ass, and downright lazy. On one play T-Mac is back defending against a TWolves fast break and he literally lets the player go right past him for an uncontested layup.
    So what does Bill do... he calls out T-Mac right there on TV by saying that (and I'm paraphrasing) that play was downright lazy and displayed a total lack of caring. And he said if T-Mac wasn't ready to come back and play the right way... then he shouldn't have forced his way back on the court.

So as much as he loves the Rockets, and as much as he has to support the Rockets organization... he still has the integrity to be honest and fair. And he deserves much props for that.

Has he lost a little bit of his sharpness and abilities... sure, but what announcers over 60 yrs old haven't lost some of their sharpness?
    He's still very, very good at his job, and I for one will be truly sad when he's no longer the voice of the Rockets.

On Bullard... I like him. I think he does a very good job. His analysis and basketball IQ are pretty good too. And I agree with him most of the time when it comes to his ideas and opinions about the game. Plus he's an ex Rocket, so he has a lot of interesting insights from his playing days.

As for Drexler... Oh man... as much as I admired Clyde as a player... I cannot stand him as a TV personality. For a Future Hall of Famer and one of the 50 greatest players, he seems like he has NO BASKETBALL IQ WHATSOEVER!

His commentary is so off base most of the time. Plus, his attitude and personality are so fake that it seems like if he's acting most of the time. It's like all of his dialogue is scripted or something. Either that, or he's simply trying too hard to be intelligent and witty.

PLus, he says the most ridiculous things sometimes. Like he talks about almost every player like they're All-Stars. For instance, he'll refer to a mediocre point guard like Jameer Nelson, or Rafer Alston, and say, "He's one of the elite point guards in this league."
    And people must be thinking, "What the hell... is Clyde on crack now or what?"

Anyhow, IMHO, Clyde is the weakest link, and he should be the one to go.

Personally, I miss Calvin Murphy as the color analyst. He was funny and witty, and he and Bill together made a great team.

2 people like this.
  7. Progs

Progs Member

Bill should stay. Like how he, along with Bullard, called out the starters near the end of the game last night.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Completely agreed. Bill has an entertaining way of calling the games that many other broadcasts just don't have. You can sense his love for the city.

Change the supporting cast around him (Bull and Clyde) and you would see improvement.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Bill was calling for Brewer when others were not performing, he's a true fan like you and me!

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Bill is the man, man.

11. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Rep this man!!!!!

Most other broadcast are unbearable and most seem to have a totally lack of knowledge about players other than their own....... That's why I love Calvin, he knew almost every single player and would give you a scouting report of the lesser knows every game......

12. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I always loved them three together, but that's me lol.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Bill goes, I go.

14. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Cold-blooded three!

15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I generally like Bill Worrell but sometimes he sounds a little folkish for my taste. Would like him to instill a bit more anger when the Rockets are playing like crap.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

Bill is fine. The problem is Drexler and what's sad is there are worse commentators than Drexler out there for other teams.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Bill needs to use bigger words so people of high IQ, such as myself, can understand him better.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

My main problem with Bill is when he purposely calls the play wrong . Many many times, especially when it is a close game or the Rockets are losing he will purposely call the opposite of what an official calls to benefit the rockets. For example , he will say and it is a charge on opposing player, when the official obviously makes the signal for blocking foul . He will then say something like oh well I thought it was a charge on so and so but I guess they call a block . It is his way of questioning the officials without straight up calling out the refs. He does this on balls that go out of bounds too . He will say ball is off the opposing team when the refs have already motioned it's off the rockets. When he does this he doesn't react as if the officials are wrong, he puts the calls in their mouths . He will say and they say the ball if off of___ , but then onces it's clear that the ball is going the other way , he will say oh they changed the call. When bill does this it's not sneaky and insults our intelligence as viewers . I wish he would stop doing it .

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

BOF.

Bill's not going anywhere.

20. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

With all due courtesy to Craig Ackerman, when Bill goes it'll be like when Gene Peterson first left. The games won't be the same without him for awhile. Craig does a great job but dang it took me a long time to not be expecting Gene's and Jim's voices on the air.