1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**** YOU BOB MCNAIR

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Butterfingers, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Retractable roof stadium that's never open and even if it was couldn't grow natural grass. Oh and they book as many events as possible in there making it even more difficult to to have a permanent surface. Nice job...

2. Buck Turgidson

Like I said in another thread, it will take players and media publicizing the **** conditions in our stadium to get management to do anything about it. **** you Texans, **** you Harris County, **** whoever is in charge of this travesty. Great PR, guys.

It's not like the NFL doesn't **** the players over enough after they're retired, can we not **** them over while they're playing?

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

When the stadium was planned, playing in 'natural' conditions was a high value design factor determined by the owner. The architects attempted to deliver that but it turns out it was an unacheivable goal, much like the original plan to grow grass under the glass roof of the Astrodome.

It's inconceivable to me that you couldn't have predicted the issues using modern computer modeling. You can't 'grow' grass in a canyon and the tray system screams "inconsistency". Also, a roof that allows a 'shaft' of light into an otherwise shaded area causes a blinding effect for those it hits. We've know that since the cathedrals of medieval Europe where they lighted up the altars and we saw the devastating effect on television for 30 years at Texas Stadium.

But it's hard to say you aren't going to play football outdoors where the winters are 65 degress.

4. ipaman

Funny thing is if you removed the roof and the rail/trusses that support it you would get more than a shard of light. I think you could easily grow natural grass, especially today modern hybrids. Plus you have newer systems that weave synthetic grass fibers into real surfaces. It stays green since it's synthetic but since real grass and roots grow around it, it's super strong.

Bottom line, there are solutions out there but the Texans/Rodeo are the only ones who can fix it. I hope they keep getting bad press especially with the upcoming SB. Maybe that will put the pressure for change.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's awesome how the roof makes it look like it's cloudy, gloomy, and overcast even on a day like yesterday. What a ****ing travesty this team has become. Ownership is clueless, management is full of buffoons, and the players are simply an extension of the ineptitude this franchise has demonstrated time and time again. How can you justify leaving the roof closed on a day like yesterday? If you're THAT concerned about an extra 3 decibels, then maybe you're just not that good of a team.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to mention that the stadium can and has been plenty loud with the roof open (see the colts game last year, when kubiak had the stroke).

It can also be deathly quiet with the roof shut, like it was yesterday. Even with the game on the line, and the Texans one stop away from keeping it a one possession game, the crowd was dead. Lackluster crowds are a result of the play on the field, and won't be affected one iota by the roof.

The clubs roof "policy" and usage reflects the clown-show operation that the franchise currently is.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

when the roof is open the field looks like crap... we dont need the roof to open

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The roof was open on Saturday for the Sam Houston game and it was literally PERFECT. NRG is just STUNNING on a day like that with the roof open. With the roof closed, it just looks like another dome.

Sunday's weather was basically identical to Saturday, so not sure why the roof was closed. It was within the (silly) 50-80 rule and there was a negative 20% chance of rain.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

finally.

for the longest time I thought you might work for the texans or maybe some kind of relative of mcnair/lanier.

looks like the lightbulb has finally gone off. The damning part is there is nothing we can do about it except hope he sells the team to a real owner. This is a for the long haul that we will have this ownership. With his son involved we can plan on it being like this until about 2044. Then maybe just maybe.

Thankfully for mcnair he has parity and the hopeless romantics to keep this train a chugging indefinitely.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has nothing to do with the roof. NRG Stadium is used for dozens of other events that require different surfaces. Rodeo needs dirt, concerts need concrete. You can't cover a permanent grass setup with dirt for an entire month.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]McCoy says Texans’ field is “probably the worst” he’s ever played on

The field at NRG Stadium has absorbed plenty of criticism in recent weeks. The latest team to visit Houston has echoed those concerns.

Appearing on Monday’s PFT Live, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy called it “probably the worst field I ever played on.”

“Yeah, that field is terrible, bad, bad,” McCoy said.

What makes it so bad?

“There’s so many holes, potholes in it, rocky,” McCoy said. “It’s like they measured the squares out and put them in piece by piece. There’s so many holes, it’s like this can’t be a real NFL field. The stadium’s actually nice, but the field is so bad.”

He’s referring to the system of grass trays that are pieced together, resulting in seams and gaps between the trays.

“You’ve got to make sure the field condition is great for the players, because we’re the guys out there running, putting our life on the line, playing hard,” McCoy said. “I think the least they could do is have the field in better shape so a guy could just go out there and run and be safe.”

He’s right. At a time when the league and the NFLPA hope to promote player safety, the process begins with giving them the safest possible playing surfaces.

~5:02
    <iframe src="http://vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/nbc_embedshare/select/isCSEjZ_zytB" width="620" height="382" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

[/rQUOTEr]

12. ipaman

Yes you can, with modern systems like these. http://www.dessosports.com/sports/football/football-projects/wembley-stadium-uk

Also the Rodeo and Texans don't overlap. Really the only conflicts during football season would be those stupid Disney On Ice events. Maybe a few college and high school games too. If I'm the Texans I don't give a **** about those other events.

btw... Does anybody know who gets paid for renting out NRG?

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Lets hear from someone with season tickets in the North end zone and see if they like heat and glare.

At least we aren't ATT Stadium where they lined the field up East and West and then put the big window on the West side. I frankly don't have a clue why or how that happened.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Thank you Shady McCoy... We need more of this. Much more. The field is an atrocity and needs to be put to bed ASAP. Hopefully the NFLPA gets serious and lobbies Goodell for an immediate resolution.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fix the field Bob.

1 person likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly?

There are sun spots in EVERY OPEN STADIUM IN AMERICA. You can be dying in the new end-zone seats in DKR if there is no cloud coverage... same goes for the 1B seats at MMP around 6pm (both of which I've experienced regularly... and on those occasions, just like at NRG, its only an issue for about a 1/3'd of the game).

I understand the "heat" factor, and I understand how direct sun can escalate the temperature by about 15 degrees (which is an exaggeration)... but on a 65 degree day, if we have fans that cannot withstand sun and ~80 degree temps, then this is even a softer sports city than I thought it was.

And trust me, I've lived my whole life here and defended the fandom repeatedly.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what you're getting at... I've always called out Rick Smith (and his lack of a real role), along with demanded the roof to be open on picture perfect days. Last year I called out the defense (and Wade's lack of adjustments) before we saw how bad they really were (and was lambasted for it by "experts" because they still seemed to rank pretty good in yards allowed... while they went on to produce futility records for sacks and turnovers forced).

Sorry for not getting in on the "we hate Carr, we hate Schaub, we hate Keenum, we hate Fitzpatrick, we hate --insert next QB here--" because frankly I don't think it adds much to what is already being said, and secondly I do feel there are other more fillable holes on this team (and the only time I didn't really feel that way, this team was going to the playoffs).

So if by being as objective as possible, it paints me out to be a "homer" or "company man"... I'm sorry. I call it like I see it... but I will attempt to keep it objective. The Roof policy is asinine. The field is what it is... and I strongly believe it gets blown out of proportion, as this is the same system that has always been used, and it now gets put under the microscope this season because of Clowney (or more likely Swag's comments).

Not playing games the day before on it would certainly HELP the situation.... and McCoy had one of his best games of the year (in terms of yards/carry), so maybe he should be playing in more hole-ridden fields.

18. So Good

So Good Member

Bill Belichick said it too...I sincerely doubt they'll do anything about it

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...blames-welker-injury-on-reliant-stadium-turf/

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except the building belongs to the taxpayers, and in order to pay off the bill we need the Rodeo, Nuclear cowboys, Monster Jam, and other events that would require the removal of the field. The only real solution, other than busting up the concrete, lowering the surface and installing a retractable field system...is to increase the size of the trays.

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Unfortunately, McNair seems more like a Woody Johnson than a Robert Kraft or Dan Rooney.

Some people just aren't cut out to lead NFL franchises.