1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is much better than some are giving him credit for

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 1, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Morey is very good over all and I wouldn't want him gone. He's probably the most valuable Rocket right now. However, his philosophy of dream team or bust is completely at odds with what I value as a fan and not what the Rocket championship teams were all about.

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I agree. Probably shouldn't have included it in the OP then to avoid that debate though. :p
    <br>
    Luckily:

1) As evidenced by the crowd tonight, most people aren't touchy about the "dream team or bust" topic. And the crowd will always be there.

2) The Rockets' championship teams were twenty years ago and are not really relevant to the current affairs of the organization save for Hakeem/Drexler helping the team with player development/recruiting.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People say he is God so no!... He is just a good, solid GM

1 person likes this.
  4. TheFreak

You've totally convinced me to change the way I look at things.

5. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Do you really have to create a new thread for this? :confused:

Anyway, just wondering how old OP was when we won our 2 championships.
    I am wondering if this young MOFs take more pleasure out of saying "We have the best GM in the world." as opposed to when we, ROFs, used to be proud saying "we are the Chapms".

Morey is one of the top GMs, no question. And he should stop right there.
    He is no "basket ball mind", he should stop preaching his basketbal "pholosophy". Have you ever seen JVG or Pop trying to run a multi variate regression or debating over MonteCarlo simulation? No self respecting coach, who has a system, will listen to this BS that Daryl sells. That's why you need a McHale or a Finch.

But as long as this run n gun fast food offense fills the seat and put money in Les' pocket, things will remain same.

2 people like this.
  6. baubo

baubo Member

It's ironic you bring up JVG, because JVG praise Morey every chance he talks about the Rockets.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Where are you getting the misspelled quotes from? I know this is clever, but I just don't get the reference.

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this post. The Morey worship around here can get quit ridiculous. Morey's legacy from now on out needs to start being measured by the team's playoff performance. Morey likes swinging for the fences as far as players are concern but it looked like he struck out with hiring McHale. I will give Morey credit for the following good moves coming into this season:Re-hiring defensive coach T.R. Dunn, signing KPap, not overpaying that douche Parsons and signing Ariza and...welp... signing former Rox killer Jason Terry. What looked to be a bad off season for the Rox looks to have turned out to be a solid off season. However, barring injury, some how, some way, this team needs to start having some playoff success.

9. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

That's ok, you don't have to be clever. I understand that you don't get the references, that's ok too. Now, take a deep breath and say Morey is a bb genius. Tomorrow, we will learn colors. :)

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I thought it was JVG's move, to be honest. JVG is not a coach that takes well to rookies.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I have been on board this train for a long time and Morey absolutely should have a job as long as he wants one if his smart moves continue - people severely underestimate the difficulty curve of both surviving and recovering from Yao and McGrady's collapse, one of the most seamlessly handled core collapses in NBA history - but that said, he has reached the point where he MUST win - the injury excuses were completely reasonable to explain how he could be an elite GM with no deep playoff runs in 2011, but the time is now to back it up with results.

#31 CDrex, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  12. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

There is no irony there, we all praise Morey, for his GM skills. But that is where he should stop. Let a real coach run a system, not McHale running Morey's experiment. Btw, Finch does not have a "system", Don Nelason and Pringle tried and failed. That BS may create scores of High school cult followers and make money for Le$$. But that will not bring a championship anytime soon.

13. TheFreak

Huh? Collapse from what? They never won a single playoff series.

14. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

But his PR team act like ****.

15. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

So now we know what Morey's Clutchfan's username is...

just kidding. Nice post.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

As I mentioned, the silver lining is that you're in the minority.

17. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

How many ClutchFan accounts the PR team has? Rockets PR team are the most hard working one among all sports franchises. Hats off to you guys, you are working overtime. :)

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Really? Your a fan since 93 and you want to challenge me on how long I've been a fan? I'm old enough to remember having to stay up past midnight to watch a pre-recorded game of Elvin Hayes and the Washington Bullets beat Gus Williams and the Seattle Supersonics because the NBA wasn't popular enough to play a live Championship game on prime time television.

I remember watching the Cougars lose to the Wolfpack in the NCAA championship while Akeem Olajuwan stood under the basket as Lorenzo Charles made a last second dunk. I still haven't recovered from that one.

I remember Moses Malones 2 NBA MVPs and leading the Billy Paultz and the Rockets to the Finals against the Celtics only to come up short.

I remember watching Akeem drop the very same Billy Paultz ,who was Malones team mate a couple of seasons earlier, with a right hook under the Jazz basket in the play-offs.

I watched live as Ralph Sampson hit the last second shot in the WCF finals against the Lakers to send the Rockets to their 2nd NBA finals in team history and I still haven't gotten over the Celtics beating the Rockets....again in the finals.

I remember the media claiming Ralph Sampson had no heart and Karl Malone anouncing in the press how he was going to dominate Ralph and then how first started hating Malone when he actually did it. I remember Sampson going high for a rebound in Boston and come crashing down on his back and getting carried off on a stretcher. That is the injury that eventiually lead to his career being cut so short. I really hate the Celtics.

I cheered when the Rockets traded for Otis Thorpe and bood when passed on Harald Minor and drafted Robert Horry.

And yes I cussed at the networks for interupting the Rockets / Nicks championship game with the OJ chase. I never underestimated the Heart of a Champion when the Rockets won their 1st NBA championship.I was front and center in front of my TV when the Dream destroyed David Robinson in the play-offs and out played Shaq for the Rockets 2nd NBA championshiop.

You really think I just started watching the Rockets yesterday or even in 93? Really?

19. baubo

baubo Member

You do know where Popovich's current offensive system is based upon, right? If you don't, maybe you need to watch some basketball played by the Phoenix Suns 5-10 years ago.

20. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Three things. First Terrance Williams aka the "squid"did not work out costing us a first round pick. Second We could of draft Deandre Jordan instead of Dorsey. And the one the hurts the most is passing out on the MVP of the last NBA finals on Kwahi Leonard. Other than that he is solid