1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[What We Lack] Facilitators on Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 29, 2014.

1. basketballholic

A bigger part of the problem is Harden and Howard use so many possessions and both guys are high turnover guys. We need a primary facilitator that will make the game easy for them while we let Harden facilitate more with the second unit where his turnovers will be lower when the primary (and yet unknown) facilitator is on the bench.

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Moving without the ball is too hard for any team not coached by the genius Pop you guys!

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

its so hard that its amazing why not 1 of the other 29 teams in the league can even duplicate it

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think people think teams can just play like the Spurs. It's just a reference point.

Rick Adelman used movement offense very effectively and many teams copied some of his plays.

It is difficult. Adelman needed more than a whole season to get the team to gel, and you need to acquire the right kind of players. The easier way is to get a superstar or three and a bunch of role players to fit around them. Actually I don't know if that is an easier way. There's no easy way to win.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

but but but we're 2-0, Morey is the Greek god of GMing

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This!!!!!

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's an issue of relative perception hotbrahlla

If it seems like he's regarded as a God, it's only in contrast to the extremely low standing that you've carved out in the GARM with your recent blurts.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

nah I get it, I'm not a "Trust in Morey" guy, so therefore I must be of low standing. So what if my recent outburst is simply a continuation of the same exact complaints I have had about Morey for years, nah Moridiots only see it as a knee jerk reaction to one game. I'm not shocked, Morey preaches long term thinking, but everything he does is short sighted. From the way he treats players, to giving up a pick to get rid of a facilitator for a pipe dream that wasn't going to happen ("but everyone said Bosh was coming if Lebron didnt go back!!!" Really? He didnt bother to think what the Heat were going to do with that extra cap room if LeBron left? really?). Like I said, Morey preaches long term thinking, but he is a shortsighted GM. I wouldn't expect any less from his white knight sycophants.

9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

**** I thought our offense has been pretty good compared to last year. Lots of ball movement. I'm not concerned about the offense at all, never was. It is and it will always be about the defense and if we can sustain it. That will put us into championship contention.

10. basketballholic

Our offense is not efficient enough in the half-court against playoff defenses. That has to improve along with the defense.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I agree to an extent I do believe that defense will create offensive opportunities.. However I do still see a need for an upgrade at the PG position.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good god, this is all about Lin?

Award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul Yada Yada.

Here i was thinking this was just you pleading for attention, and instead we get a LOFburst.

The smart long term move would have been to not get him in the first place. Linsanity has a longer shelf life than Ebola I guess.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem is it only works with Harden facilitating and we can't run him into the ground for 38+ minutes a night as the sole playmaker after playing ball all summer AND expect him to still have gas for a deep playoff run.

14. baubo

baubo Member

There seems to be revisionist history that Lin and Parsons were these great facilitators on offense who helped kept the ship afloat when Harden was out last year. Nothing was further from the truth. The Rockets sucked last year when Harden left the court too. Did anyone really thought when the Rockets had Parsons and Garcia on the wing that our offense was fine?

If anything, IMO Morey let Parsons go so he can have room to trade for a 3rd facilitator on offense.

15. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Good call. I agree

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You're absolutely right. It's taken the Spurs over a decade to develop their offense.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now he is a Dork God and has luck every second move

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Even with high turnovers, Harden and Howard are very efficient. Harden is very efficient running the offense with the floor spread. Come playoff time, Harden will be playing about 42-44 mpg. Rockets could still use another facilitator, but defense and spacing are probably biggest needs.

Granted, you are probably referring to Rubio who bring excellent passing along with excellent defense. Spacing could be accomplished at either PG or PF spot. I am leery of Beverley's health.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Damn it! We should've packaged Bev and Parsons for Rondo.

20. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Well now yeah, that seems like the obvious move, but who knows how realistic the Parsons for Rondo discussions were at the time. Plus, we came a centimeter away from having Bosh AND Parsons on this team. :mad:

Anyways, this thread is legit, I think people are forgetting the Portland series, there were so many times when our offense was stagnant as hell. We need another playmaker. badly.