1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Texan fan are you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Win, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks for catching that. Fitz has been sacked 5 times.

Sometimes he holds onto the ball too long.

2. Mr. Clutch

Football Outsiders is different than PFF. They do their own analysis.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Post #16 of this thread you said "the o-line blows".

#notconsistent
    #troll

The stats surprise me too. Only reasons I can think of is Arian's awesomeness and Fitz's above average ability to avoid pressure. Our TEs inability to block might be another culprit.

Are the stats calling them "good" or simply "not poor"?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, it doesn't really matter who is doing the poor analysis. The pass protection hasn't been good by any reasonable standards. FO or PFF saying differently doesn't matter at not when anyone can easily see that it isn't the case. You could bring in dozens of mathematicians to argue with me that 1+1 doesn't equal 2 but it wouldn't make me cede the point since I know that it does equal 2.

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy BTW.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Um, a bad oline (hou) played well against the titans (a bad dline FWIW)...

what's hard to understand about that?

granted, the oline is handcuffed by fitzpatrick's inability to progress past his first read, but i have seen some piss poor blocking via brown, myers, and brooks. i am not going to talk about the LG situation because it's not worth my breath.

as a whole, the oline is overpaid and underachieving.. so yes, they blow.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't watch sports anymore but always been a Jack Rains and Bob McNair fan.

7. Mr. Clutch

From the context of ranking the Texans offensive unit around the QB as 12th, I'd say "better than average."

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Agreed, but why don't you stress the o-line sucking when arguing about Fitz sucking? I know why. Because the person you're arguing with doesn't give much middle ground either. Most of the arguments on this board (in life) would be solved if people stopped exaggerating about their particular theory..... compromise.

I'm very surprised. They've looked, at best, 22-ish from the eye test.

9. Mr. Clutch

Nailed it!

No wait for people to argue with you on that point.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Fitzpatrick's struggles are not a direct result of the oline underachieving.

Fitzpatrick is what he is. A back up QB.

The oline's struggles (namely Brown, Brooks, Myers) can be contributed to blocking for a subpar QB. But, that does not take away from them individually struggling as well. I've noticed them get beat quite often, and I expected more from them.

For instance, here is Brown getting whooped by a rookie (Mack):

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OWiadPne9pe/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here is Brown whiffing on a block (run play):

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OKQruAAObEm/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Duane Brown whiffing on a block (pass play):

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OAr1ErAVIxP/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Duane Brown getting beat inside during a red zone opportunity:

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OK2eQriAx30/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you closely watch the OLine... No way you grade them out as anything but below average.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Sorry, the "run block whiff play" is here:

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OmhrDIuLPxl/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Why would someone say a QB's struggles aren't a result of a bad blocking, then post video of a bad blocking? :confused:

Surely you're not saying better o-line play wouldn't help Fitz..... or any QB for that matter.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I said:
    Meaning, although the oline is underachieving, Fitzpatrick struggles when they do well.

For instance:

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OKOJm6pza2J/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here we have a clean pocket, 5 options to throw to, yet he stares down arian and does not consider any other reads while throwing to the rb who he is clearly not on the same page with.

He's simply not a starting caliber NFL qb. But, this is what we expected from him.

The inconsistent oline play on the other hand... Many of us thought the hogs would be a strength, especially with the addition of "pro ready" XSF.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did you seriously just post a play where Foster ran the wrong route as an example of Fitz struggling? It was a timing route, you have to throw the ball before the player cuts back inside for it to work.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I posted a play where Nuk was matched up with a LB in the slot and Fitzpatrick did not see the gargantuan mismatch, instead only considered a timing route (a complicated route that takes a ton of practice for a QB -> WR to perfect) to his RB.

Not smart, especially for a Harvard grad. lol.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you double down on your mistake instead of just acknowledging it and moving on? Bold strategy, we'll see if it pays off.

What's so odd is that I'm sure you could find an actual example of Fitz screwing up, there's tons of them out there, but instead you roll with one where someone else screws up.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

What on earth are you talking about?

I posted the video to show Fitzpatrick making a terrible decision in spite of having a clean pocket.

Are you seriously contesting that Fitzpatrick made the proper read there?

Do you not see Rolondo McClain matched up with Nuk?

You never seize to amaze me.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. It wasn't a terrible decision, Foster ran the wrong route. Pretty much any decision will look like the wrong one when someone else doesn't do what they are supposed to. If Arian runs the right route, it's positive yards and you never mention the play.

2. Nuk wasn't open and Fitz couldn't wait around for him to become open because we don't have an O line like that.

3. You mean to say "cease" not "seize"

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Nuk wasn't open?

[​IMG]

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, when the ball had to come out, he wasn't open.....and he wasn't looking because he wasn't finished running his route. Why not just admit you were wrong and move on to a play that actually is Fitz's fault? There's lots of them out there, why fixate on one that isn't his fault? It really kills your credibility and the point you were trying to make.