1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN NBA Frontpage] "Howard, Harden overrated"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Oct 24, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is clearly an article to feed a culture of Howard (and now Harden) hatas.

I don't mind them being in the discussion, but the discussion was basically only about them

How can you note discuss Kevin Love if you're going to point out zero defense

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting, I find Harden to be more overrated than Howard.'

Glad to have both, but I think Howard is what he is advertized to be - a super athletic top-flight center with clunky post moves. The jury is out on Harden.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They are ballers. Morey is overrated. Dude is bull****ing us with his philosophy.

4. VBG

VBG Member

Is making the NBA Finals with Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis as your sidekicks considered winning?

I don't understand the can you win with Dwight arguments at all

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

They are correct. Harden is elite offensively and terrible defensively. Howard is elite defensively and terribly inefficient offensively. Just look at the RAPM statistics. They tell the story. Neither of them are top 10 players unless they improve on their deficiencies.

For Dwight, he needs to play smarter, reduce the turnovers, and improve his FT%. For Harden, he needs to try harder and pay more attention on defense.

6. SPBR

SPBR Member

Individually, they are both underrated. One is elite defensively and one is elite offensively but due to deficiencies in other part of their games, they get unnecessary hate.

As a pair, they are overrated. They have yet to exhibit the kind of synergy that many expected the pair to have. How many of us thought a Howard & Harden PnR would be unstoppable?

7. NotChandlerParsons

I'm still waiting to see one.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Harden is billed as the #1 shooting guard in the league and possible MVP candidate.

That IS saying a lot for a guy who is one of the worst defenders in the league at his position AND doesn't show up in the playoffs AND isn't much of a team leader AND doesn't maximize his teammates' level of play (like MJ did, and Kobe did, and Lebron and Durant and Duncan and Nash).

Howard is not overrated. He's bar none the best center in the league, has been to the NBA Finals, and is a beast.

9. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Yeah a leader on Team USA and most athletic center in the nba are overrated.

Are they fkning bored or want to do their job and report facts not opinions all the time

10. SPBR

SPBR Member

They run it every so often but I was hoping to see it more than the Howard post ups or Harden step backs.

Anyone have stats on Howard/Harden PnRs?

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Morey is overrated too.

Seven years or whatever as GM, superstars in and out, and yet still the Rockets are unable to get past the second round of the playoffs (and only once past the first round). I can name 9 or 10 Western Conference teams who have had more success than us in the 7 years Morey has been GM, and with much less controversy, also. "Genius" doesn't equate to winning championships any more than beards too, evidently.

12. NotChandlerParsons

I'm exaggerating, but it should be the cornerstone of our offense. I don't have the stats handy, but both are regularly top 5 in terms of P&R efficiency. I put it down as a coaching issue rather than something wrong with them.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This is stupid.

Give me another team who were so blatantly against tanking?

Morey kept this team competitive even when it was all doom and gloom.

I paid $275 to sit in the middle, first row back from Clyde and Bill - when I came over in 2011.

Why? Because Kevin Martin was our best player.

It is nearly $1000 for that same seat now. See where this is going?

No other franchise has moved on from being brought to their knees not once, but twice with debilitating injuries to their MVP players - as quickly as Houston did.

You mightn't have been around for the loss of McGrady and Yao. But damn... in only a few short years (with no high draft picks to work with because you know, the whole no tanking thing) he has gone and got the best C and the best SG in the League.

To say Morey is overrated is one of the dumbest things I've potentially ever heard.

If Morey pulled off the Bosh and Parsons double this off season I'm sure people would be requesting he'd be allowed into the Hall of Fame.

And because of some pretty far-fetched things happening which NO-ONE predicted - he couldn't manage it.

So while the rest of the basketball landscape prodded and laughed at Morey for his 'failure' (try to not fill up nearly 6 hands when you count how many GMs would've liked to be in his position this off season)... he casually went about getting a better fit for this team at half the price of Parsons.

Morey is overrated? Please.

14. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

ESPN is to sports what MTV is to news.

15. waisoserious

waisoserious Member

dont forget his rank as #1 SG is by default, since the previous 2 who were ranked above him were down ranked heavily due to injuries

imo, harden still has to prove he actually deserves to be ranked #1 SG. not just win by default

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It says he is pretty damn dominant on the other side of the ball.

He hasn't showed up in the playoffs particularly well in his last 2 trips but let's nt act like this is a career long thing.

Team leader and maximizing his teammates level of play? How are we judging this exactly? So Harden isn't MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Durant? So he isn't one of the best 15 players ever? Damn what a terrible indictment on a 25 year old.

17. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Waited all year to see a pnr, never materialized. Waste of talent. Howard is the true superstar. Harden is just an all star. Harden's dependecy on the free throw line will never work in the post season. He failed two straight series. Rockets should emphasize Howard more.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Warriors and the Splash Brothers are the most overrated in the NBA. They get tons of love and haven't done squat. I don't get it.

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

BOOM. Headshot.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

So true. No doubt Curry and Thompson are elite shooters, but at least Thompson is relatively one dimensional, and Curry plays about as much defense as Harden but for some reason people give him the Steve Nash pass for "guys we like to watch and are completely willing to look past the glaring holes in their game".

Also cracks me up when people say Hibbert(well not so much anymore), Joakim Noah, or Marc Gasol are better than Dwight. As far as I can tell, they are all one dimensional in comparison.