1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mhsc008

mhsc008 Member

If I were the coach, I would cut Ish Smith and Dorsey. But McHale and Morey might not do that. They have invested too much money in Dorsey and given too much play time to Ish.

So who get cut if there is no trade? Adrien and Ish I hope.

2. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Perhaps we can ask our friends over there in Philly whether they would like to take some of our guaranteed contracts...aren't they under the cap at the moment?

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Morey is always very happy to sign some guy and then release him
    Boss' money is not money

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

they just picked up marquis Teague for nothing basically

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Ish and Adrien get Cut!

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all-

Nobody is giving up a draft pick for anyone on the team not named Harden, Howard, Ariza, Beverley, or Jones. You guys are dreaming if you think Morey is going to snag a draft pick for someone like Canaan or a decent draft pick for D-Mo. D-Mo has the value of probably a 2nd rounder.

He's worth more to the Rockets and their needs this year than a 2nd rounder would be in their collection of assets. There is NO POINT in making that kind of a deal unless Capela starts to impress and they think that D-Mo is holding him back from PT.

Second of all-

Speaking of players "holding back" others for PT (IE coaching comfort foods argument), I personally think the right move is for the front office to intervene and remove Ish Smith from the roster. Canaan is the guy that could have a future in the league, and needs the PT to improve. Ish is a better practice player now because he's a veteran player, but the talent needs to play to get better. Canaan and even Johnson resemble the future, and need to be given those minutes.

Lastly -

The big man cut is the hardest to come to grips with. The right answer is they never should have given Dorsey a multi year guaranteed contract, but I get why they did it at the time (didn't think there was any other way to get a backup 5). Black has been a surprise, and has improved dramatically since the Summer League.

I think the right move to make now is to go ahead and let Adrien go. I think having Black AND Dorsey on the roster to backup Dwight is a smart move. The competition between those two for minutes will really be what creates the drive both guys needs to improve further. I'm not comfortable giving Dorsey the keys to the car as the only backup to Dwight. Having that competition at that spot will make the backup big man play much more productive.

7. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Well said my friend! Many people on the board are angry that I stated that we have a pitiful power forward setup and that these undersized scrubs will make a difference. The reason why they play so hard is that they are undersized versus normal and skilled power forwards. All of our other positions are well maintained. Morey see's great numbers on Adrien and Black and that glorified unenthused D-League scrub T Jones but does not consider the other dynamics of the team. Quit trying to upgrade point guard when we need a taller and serviceable power forward.

8. Chamillionaire

As much as I like Black, I think he's let go to play with RGV only because he has a NG contract. Agree with you about Ish. Only because I personally prefers shooter at the 1. Having Ish brings another point of attack we don't have with any other player than Harden. The ability to get to the rim at any time.

Tough call. I think Ish and Garcia should be gone, but ultimately it'll be Ish and Garcia.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Already want to us to cut the rest and get it over with

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

dh12 has a cut..

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be clear, I do like to have one or two of these type of guys on the roster at all times. They really do push people to get better, and you can't deny the skill level, disposition, and toughness of someone like a Chuck Hayes or Pat Beverley type. However you can't have these type of players push out upside talent, and you can't let the coach bury upside talent have their careers stifled because the coach was in favor for one of these guys when the team will be better long term by having those upside players get better by playing.

I love what guys like Black, and Adrien bring, but the problem is we have pretty much an entire 2nd and 3rd unit of guys on this level. Morey loves these guys, like I do too, but I hope he's realistic (smart enough guy who should know) that they do need more talent with their support roles overall.

If it takes a few months of having these guys "stop gap" in order to make impact moves them I'm all for it. But we can't honestly look at any of these players as long term solutions for support to Howard and Harden.

There is no need to call these guys scrubs, or pitiful, but it is realistic to know exactly who they are and organize your moves to fit your long term goals. If you look at it that way, it makes moves (such as waiving Ish Smith), more clear.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Maybe your dumbest quote yet, barring injury Garcia isn't sniffing the starting SF spot.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ish and Adrien. You don't know how good Canaan or Black could be, so you have to let them play it out on the court.

14. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

The problem with this is that Morey and McHale need to win games. If we win 5 or 6 fewer games this year we're probably out of the playoffs. Canaan had a chance in the Summer League and I assume in practice to show that he can play defense. He and Johnson sucked defensively during SL. If they trusted Canaan defensively he would be the first PG off the bench in preseason, but he hasn't been yet.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

ESPN said Black is now a virtual lock to make the roster.

Well, that's ESPN after all.

16. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Apparently Dwight.

17. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

i wanna keep all of them...this is gonna be hard...

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

that clint capella should've kept ass in switzerland..now we're gonna have to cut one of the se big men that are actually playing well....Tarik Black is making this team..Dmo or Jones made me traded..Jeff Adrien deserves to make it also.. Idk about dorsey. his guaranteed contract makes this tricky. 6 big men remain including capella. If you look at roster you'll notice there's not much length in the backcourt. Everyone just looks like tweeners (pg/sg). and Harden doesn't have a backup. Nick Johnson looks like a good candidate though..

19. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dorsey Guaranteed or not [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

CANNON is a keeper