1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by trowa, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Exel

Exel Member

The guy paying for this lives in Dubai. Lakers definitely have some dedicated fans.

2. supdudes

supdudes Member

^ They should, given their history. Also, just because the guy doesn't live in LA doesn't mean he's not a dedicated fan.

I've watched the Lakers growing up, and have nothing against the organisation. But Nick Young is just not that great to warrant a billboard, which is laughable.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

exel just said the guy was a dedicated fan.

so the Lakers drafted Randle

4. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I don't think that billboard was meant to be serious. Its the entertainment capital of the world and I happen to find the billboard to be pretty funny.

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The Lakers only pay Nick Young $1.2M per season. The billboard should really read "Stay for minimum Swag"

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The Lake Show had a pretty decent draft. Julius Randle is definitely one of the more polished top lottery picks with potential to be rookie of the year and Jordan Clarkson was a nice grab in the second round. If they spread Nash's salary across three years, they would have enough cap space to sign both Lebron and Carmelo for like $16M each. Then, if I'm not mistaken, they have Gasol's Bird rights so couldn't they re-up him for $10M per season? This would leave this starting five that they can fill with minimum contract players that want to live in LA.

PG: Jordan Clarkson, Kendall Marshall, Steve Nash
    SG: Kobe, Swaggy P, Kent Bazemore
    SF: Melo, Xavier Henry, Wes Johnson
    PF: Lebron, Randle, Elton Brand
    C: Gasol, Chris Anderson, Sacre

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Randle will be a bust.

His game won't translate to the NBA.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wouldn't Gasol be a 'caphold' for them unless they renounce him? I don't think they could have him and the other guys.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How about we give you the Gentile + Lin?

You're going nowhere fast anyway, might as well help us make the biggest 3.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's a great great read.

On a macro-level, nothing really eye-opening... but the details are great.

Jim Buss, more than anything, I can relate to a bit. He gets the keys to the castle so to speak... and yes, refuses to hire back a Phil Jackson, who at the point was (1) by virtue of a long-time relationship with his sister close to making himself the true management face of the franchise (had he been hired back), and (2) likely asking for THE MOON with regard to an offer.

On a personal level, I think a lot of us would make that call. No to Phil... under any circumstances. Besides which, Phil had flamed out as his Laker tenured ended himself, and don't expect to see the Knicks win any chips anytime soon...

Beyond that key coaching decision, as the article notes, Buss' hands have basically been tied. There's virtual no decision he can make that will end up great.. UNTIL Kobe leaves. The list of players who could join that Lakers team and via play AND personality AND league status take over as they should is VERY short. Perhaps just 1 = Lebron. Maybe Durant. Kobe and Melo would have had some success, but wouldn't have ended well.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds like Kobe, not Parsons, is our best Dwight recruiter.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's pretty much what I always thought was happening with Kobe. The question I have been asking for several years is what star wants to come be "Scottie Pippen" to an aging Kobe? Kobe is still going to put up good individual numbers. He does want to win bad, but as the article says, he only wants to win if he is the primary reason for winning. He doesn't want to be the 2nd or 3rd option on a championship team, much less a role player off the bench.

I respect Kobe's skill level, and his drive, but his personality is a primary reason I can never root for him.

The Lakers have long term problems beyond just Kobe now though. The Clippers no longer have Donald Sterling holding them down. They are at least an equal option for anyone who wants the LA experience, right now they are a preferable choice. No Jerry Buss is a bigger deal than people make it out to be. They basically have new ownership, so there is no guaranteed that his kids can duplicate Dr. Buss's success. I'm not convinced that there are a bunch of players who would love to come to the Lakers just because of their past history even if Kobe wasn't there. Sure free agents would consider it like any major market team, but if the Lakers are lottery teams for the next few years of Kobe's tenure, how much will that past winning reputation be tarnished?

18. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

:eek: