1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Sep 29, 2014.

1. caneks

caneks Rookie

I kind of agree with Cuban. We all know this is a star dominate sport and every championship team needs to have multiple stars. However, looking at history, almost every champion team had at least one star player developed on their own team rather than traded in. I think that is part of the chemistry Cuban talked about. Parsons is the closest one to that level from this team and Morey let him go for free.

I am not optimistic for the coming seasons.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yeah, had nothing to do with the agent situation with D12:rolleyes:

Cuban over paid, we get Ariza.

POF:rolleyes:

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Are you serious suggesting Parsons could be the star player on a championship team? There goes your credibility.

While I agree that it is good to give you stars time to grow together it doesn’t matter if you draft him, or trade for him at age 23.

Cuban got rid of Nash for whatever reason (when he had great chemistry with Dirk). And he broke up a championship team to chase other free agents. I agree that it is good to give you stars time to gel (but they need to be stars not role players that do not fit with your stars like Parsons, Ariza is a much better fit at half the cost), but Cuban is not the person to say that.

4. RCPM

RCPM Member

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

They're just flirting with each other. If Les fires Morey then Cuban would be the first to hire him.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's a lot easier to get multiple stars when you start with one instead of zero.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, that's not what happened. What Morey did was structure his offers in such a way as to make it extremely difficult for those teams to match by exploiting or stretching the rules. DM pioneered this tactic and Dallas used something like it against him with Parsons. Meh, it happens or as Iceman King Parsons put it: "It bees that way sometime..."

Good point which is why I find it curious that Morey felt the "need" to respond publicly to anything Cuban said publicly. Cuban does this stuff to market the Mavs. It whips up the MFFLs and allows them to drink even more of the blue koolaid. Morey's response leads me to believe that he took what Cuban said personally. To me, it's the wrong approach to take - the best response to whatever comes out of Cuban's mouth is to beat the crap out of the Mavs when you play them head-to-head. You do that and watch how quickly Cuban will shut up.

8. HillBoy

More likely, they'll while away the time playing Call Of Duty on the Playstation 3s in the Mavs dressing room...

9. HillBoy

Cuban's dig at DM was about team chemistry, the treating players as assets, etc. and not about star chasing to which both teams are addicted.

I was under the impression that his role on Shark Tank makes him more unlikable than anything he says about basketball. He is so clueless sometimes that I can't help but LMAO at the things he says or his reasoning for paying outrageous sums of money for the likes of Shawn Bradley, Rafe LaFrenz & Eric Dampier.

Yes, it was overpay and that part was deliberate.Both Nelson & Cuban publicly said that the objective was to force Houston not to match. But it was also about filling their hole at small forward. Like it or not, Parsons will complement Dirk very well. True he wanted Howard (remember this? http://youtu.be/ptT9Le6N9xI) but he wasn't as butthurt about losing DH as you may believe. He was far more miffed about losing out on Deron Williams.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, it is not a wrong approach. Cuban opened his mouth too many times, it is a time for Morey to say something, otherwise he could be labeled as a weak person. When I agree with you for the approach of the court performance, but the season has not started yet, still, it is up to the players who will put an action on the court rather than Morey. If I was Morey, I will try to shut up Cuban's mouth much early.

11. caneks

caneks Rookie

Tfor3, arno_ed and WinkFan, You guys did not even get the point of my last post. :(
    You just wanted to disagree on everything against Morey, Huh?

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't see how the star chasing and hurting team chemistry aren't linked. Nash was let go bc cubes didn't believe in him for the price he'd demand (similar to parsons). He let go championship pieces for flexibility. I can guarantee you the players he let go and the team that was left felt the same about the damage done to their team chemistry.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Having a home grown superstar is an advantage because it's cheaper, not because of chemistry. Take Harden for instance. He cost OKC one first round pick. He cost us 2 1st rounders, 2 players, and a second rounder. And OKC could have kept him if they were willing to pay him what we did.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Morey's a mad genius when it comes for flipping picks for assets...Just had a chance to look at our 2015 futures draft...

First Round in: New Orleans protected pick
    First Round out: Houston's own out to LA for JLin

2nd Round in:
    1. protected(50-60) via Kings
    2. via Knicks
    3. via Nuggets/Timberwolves(less favorable pick)
    4. their own

2nd Round out: via LAC for JLin's contract​

Im assuming what i saw is correct, Bima or others can surely correct. Morey will continue to keep this team and its future bright at all times, and will do everything to put together a winning product for a long time. And all of this is just the 2015 madness.

source: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Rockets.htm

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Morey assed Cuban. Sounds good to me. About time.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Who remembers how Cuban's b****ing to the league offices about Yao made the refs treat him differently in the playoffs?

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Cuban is petulant jerk. But an entertaining one.

I wonder what Rockets, in-house scuttlebutt Parsons has been sharing with this dude that has him acting so unprofessionally?

18. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

When has Cuban-douche ever acted professionally, though? ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA continuity rankings: <a href="http://t.co/j7Mt1YFBtl">pic.twitter.com/j7Mt1YFBtl</a></p>&mdash; John Schuhmann (@johnschuhmann) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/522039686311989248">October 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(Following tweet RT'd by Morey)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Here were last year's continuity rankings (done in late summer): <a href="http://t.co/uti0oJC6b5">http://t.co/uti0oJC6b5</a> Mavs in bottom 3 for 2 straight years.</p>&mdash; John Schuhmann (@johnschuhmann) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/522048595231772672">October 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

what do these rankings mean?