1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Courts strike down voter suppression laws in Texas & Wisconson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Roberts Court Just Halted A Voter Suppression Law

In a brief, one paragraph order handed down Thursday evening, the Supreme Court just halted Wisconsin’s voter ID law.

Federal Court Blocks Texas Voter ID Law, Calling It A 'Poll Tax

A federal judge in Texas struck down the state’s voter ID law on Thursday, calling the measure an “unconstitutional poll tax” that creates “an unconstitutional burden on the right to vote” intended to discriminate against Hispanic and African-American citizens.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And apparently I can't spell Wisconsin.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kennedy is in the tank for voter suppression along with the other 4.

Doesn't matter. He will sign on to an injuction saying that actually allowing people to vote is "irreparable harm" , whereas denying them to vote in an election it is inconsequential and not harmful at all.

It certainly is harmful - to republicans.

This is the precedent set by Bush v. Gore - don't get the votes on the record because it hurts our guy too much

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Can't say I know much about the requirements to vote since I'm not registered, but what exactly are the cons to requiring photo ID to vote?

Are there other reasonable forms to identify registered voters and citizens that are allowed to vote and prevent voter fraud?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for anything that promotes voter fraud. Sure you can have people show ID to buy cigarettes, watch a rated R movie, or use a credit card, but it's WAY too much of a burden to expect people to show ID when they vote.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Voters must previously have registered. You pass the screening for right to vote in that district at that time. Your first time to vote, you must register with ID proving age, etc.

Then when you vote, they have your name at the voting station that you're supposed to go to. You provide your name, and they check you off the list.

There are several forms of identification accepted in many states, which don't require a photo.

Click on the state for acceptable ID at the polling station
    http://www.rockthevote.com/get-informed/elections/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_laws_in_the_United_States

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can't say you know too much either judging from this comment.

You should not post any more in this thread, it's posting fraud.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Which is more of a threat to fair elections- redistricting or voter fraud (at levels documented over the last 30 or so years)?

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Thanks, heyp, for the informative post. And SamFisher, like always, proves he's a condescending douche that provides nothing at all.

I guess I still don't see how providing an ID is difficult since carrying my license on me is natural. I never leave home without my wallet, and like Bobby said, it's required for many other liberties.

Voter fraud probably doesn't happen that easily and often, and extra requirements could turn some voters away. Providing a government-issued ID does seem like one of the easier things voting could require, though.

1 person likes this.
  10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i vote by mail.. is the postman gonna check my ID?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

One of these is not like the others

buying cigarettes
    seeing R rated movies
    voting
    buying beer
    going to the strip club

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Gerrymandered districts, and it isn't even close.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kUS9uvYyn3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. GladiatoRowdy

If the required ID is both free and easy for a citizen to obtain, I have no problem with it. Put photo ID stations at every post office so that voters could bring in their registrations and have their picture taken.

The problem with the current swath of voter ID laws is that they are designed to suppress Democrat voters, not reduce voter fraud.

14. GladiatoRowdy

For some people, it isn't that easy. The elderly are dramatically less likely than the rest of us to have photo ID, as are several minority groups. There are places in Texas where you would have to travel 100 miles to get to a place where you can get a state ID card, which places an unreasonable burden on a person who just wants to exercise their Constitutionally granted right to vote.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What is the minimum early voting period needed to ensure a person's right to vote?

16. Commodore

17. GladiatoRowdy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7xWaO2jYrLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Language NSFW, use headphones.

18. GladiatoRowdy

As long as possible. What is the problem with having expanded voting hours?

19. GladiatoRowdy

It would be one thing if the ID were both free and easy to acquire. Neither of these things is true, so the laws, as currently written by the GOP, are discriminatory tools used to suppress Democrat voters.

20. Commodore

So the moment after one election ends, you should be able to cast your vote in the next one?

That would be as long as possible.