1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battle for the Starting PF spot - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Who deserves to start at PF currently

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Jeff Adrien

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Clint Capela

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

176 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

78 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Kostas Papanikolaou

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Joey Dorsey

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Small Ball (Harden)

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Jones is a Horrendous rebounder, how do you figure?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say "horrendous" but 9.1 boards per 36 isn't impressing many people. It makes it worse that he's not a competent defender.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

playing next to DH most of the time has much to do with it

4. Remii

Remii Member

Shhhhhh...!!!! They haven't figured that out yet and watching them discuss TJ's rebounding is like watching a rat trying to get out of a maze.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever excuse you want to roll with for his poor performance is fine by me. Does Howard also explain Jones' terrible defense?

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

perhaps it's not from a statistical backing but I feel like I have seen him lose concentration and let the opposition (usually a PF larger than him) snag a rebound and put back for 2, countless times. Total Momentum killer.

basically, I would never trust Jones to snag a crucial rebound.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is an awful rebounder. How is this contraversial?

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right now he is not an elite and consistent rebounder and I think a lot has to do with him starting out as a tweener.

He played like a SF while playing PF in the Dleague and maybe college.

However, I think he is a tad above average rebounder IMO

Will it be enough?
    That is the question

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Of course Jones would have a solid game and D-Mo would be quiet the next game.

10. dmoneybangbang

Morey has balls, I don't think I could wait till mid season to make an upgrade at pf.

11. dobro1229

I guess he should finally return all those phone calls from Atlanta trying to get rid of Horford and Millsap than.

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

In tonight's game, Adrien + Black >>> Jones + DMo.

Their effort and energy rubs off on their teammates too. That was impressive defense in the 1st and 2nd quarters.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Try to convince the Hawks to tank much? Hawks are a 42-45 win team haha
    Run them into the ground.

Dream scenario, dream. I would probably prefer Horford. Or both.

14. dobro1229

Obviously the past decade they have been totally fine as an 8th seed playoff team. There is no reason to believe they aren't going to ride it out with Millsap/Horford/Teague/Korver.

I don't understand the Hawks thinking but obviously they are totally fine with Mediocrity. I'd love to have either PF but there is no indication that they are going to give them up for anything short of Harden or Howard. I'm sure Morey has reached out to them more times than you can imagine, and I'm sure the answer is almost always the same.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does that have to do with rebounds next to howard. how many basketballs are on the court at one time. figure it out

16. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Its probably debatable, but it seems to me that Howard is always looking for the block which makes it vital that the PF box out and try and secure the rebound. I don't think that Jones compliments Howard in that regard because he seems to also be looking for the block, leaving himself out of position to box out and secure the rebound. DMo seems to put in the effort to box out but (at least from what I remember from last season) doesn't quite have the strength to do so.

I would think that coaching would be able to fix that with Jones, but I idk... it makes me wonder if its a problem with our players just not getting it or if its with the coaches just not able to teach it?

Still, I would really like to see what DMo can do if given consistent minutes where he doesn't feel like he has to rush everything, however, I do believe that an upgrade has to be made at PF in order for this team to take that next step forward.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

The more I look at this, the more it seems the "PF of the future" is not on this team.

My dream scenario is:

1) We acquire a protected 2015 1st.....probably for TJones.
    2) 2 of our young guys break out
    3) Atlanta or Portland struggles
    4) At the trade deadline, we trade the picks and players for Al Horford or Lamarcus Aldridge

I actually think there's a decent chance of this happening, particularly with Portland. Aldridge, Lopez and Matthews are all unrestricted free agents at the end of this season. If Portland struggles then they may hit the reset button with Lillard as their foundational piece. A couple of 2015 1st gives them the tools they need to rebuild.

Something like Terry, Papanikolaou, DMo, 2 2015 1st, and a host of 2nds.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could say that. I am not sure what Hawks fan must be feeling.
    Maybe they are all complacent and do not care that much about championships.

I browsed through Atlanta's history and found out their only championship came in 1958 and they won the WC title(as St.Louis Hawks) 4 times in the 50s and 60s.

That means they have not been in the Finals for more than 50 years.

Conclusion: Atlanta has not even been the place they had success with
    meh organization

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

But he is far from being a horrendous rebounder like you say, he's not that bad. He is a competent rebounder that could and should do better, he's an aggressive shotblocker and he may need to stay down a bit and look more to cleaning up the boards.

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

So did Jones do anything this summer, you would think he would've bulked up and gotten stronger so he can at least try to compete with LMA, Z-Bo etc. I think he will start, but he's not the answer if he doesn't show he has improved.