1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police pepper spray Wake County teen inside his home after he's mistaken for burglar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Oct 9, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I guess his whitebread foster father didn't know to give him The Talk. It sucks to get pepper-sprayed by cops in your own house, but foster parents should recognize their son is black and be a bit more proactive about anticipating the problems. Make a point to introduce him to all the neighbors. Make a point to put him prominently in the family photos in the living room.

My family has a similar dynamic with a wife that's obviously (half-) black and kids that look white. But, since my wife is not a young male she probably won't get pepper-sprayed. Still, it's not uncommon for people to think she's the nanny when she takes the kids to the park. It's dumb to have to explain your relationships all the time. But, you also know that people understand something about heredity and about the social mores that make mixed-race families uncommon. You can't be scandalized every time someone plays the numbers and turns out to assume the wrong thing about you because you're an unusual case.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

"Can't stop people from driving drunk, so its not worth mentioning."

Your logic = HORRIBLE

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You're not making an argument. What is their to discuss if it can't be stopped?

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yep, nobody's a racist. It's not even worth mentioning even though this **** happens all the time. blah blah blah.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I didn't claim nobody was racist (you are again fabricating statements). You implied most people are racist and therefore the response by the public would be different if the victim was white.

6. Classic

Classic Member

It happens all the time with teenagers. Cops are assholes to young males in general. The media decided to report this one just because of the unusual circumstance of it being a black foster kid. Good headlines.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd buy a lotto ticket if I were him. He's lucky he didn't get peppered with bullets.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Actually went in through the garage door . I think you're way off accusing the neighbor as a racist . This is just what happens when you don't know the people who live next door . Neighbor could have called the cops regardless of this guys color .

http://foxync.com/3401739/update-fu...t-about-black-teen-pepper-sprayed-in-his-home

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cops need to be better at evaluating the situation, and not relying on the 911 call as gospel truth.

I work on ATM's. I've had the cops called on me maybe 20 times in the last 3 years. Most of the time, they drive up and immediately realize I'm working. It should be obvious to any idiot. But 2 times I've had cops roll up, pointing their guns at me ready to blow my head off. One Time The cop's supervisor had to roll up and tell the cop to stand down before he would stop pointing the gun at my face.

If you are too much of a blunt instrument to evaluate a situation on the fly, you should be directing traffic somewhere.

I can tell you, if a cop entered my home without a warrant, which is supposed to be sacrosanct, I would share as hell be belligerent. Basically, their "probable cause" was that he was a black youth.

Ever hear of swatting ?

#29 Ottomaton, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am sure it went down exactly how the police say it did. The police are well known for their respect and restraint.

I am not saying that this report about how the incident went down is completely untrue, but I don't trust it.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

And I didn't claim everyone was racist (you are again fabricating statements). Fun game. Let's not play again.

"The public" consists of all kinds of races with all kinds of beliefs. Maybe you should look into that.

12. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

What happened to you that we don't know about?

Speaking to me as you're detained has got a lot of people sent on their way. A lot of people who wanted to place tough and not talk wound up in jail. If you let someone else tell the story for you, it makes it easier for me. We'll go off of that. I especially like the drunks who don't want to participate and want their attorney present. It leaves me with no choice but to resort to a blood draw, which is highly likely a conviction for DWI.

This reminds me of a time when the cops in Cambridge, MA were called to a home where a neighbor thought a guy was breaking in, and the clown in office Obummer called them "stupid." When officers respond to a "burglary in progress" they're going to arrive on scene like it's a "burglary in progress." When the suspected "burglar" doesn't cooperate..............he may have a bad day. Remain calm, cooperate, prove you live there and I promise the cops will be gone as quick as they arrived there. It's pretty simple.

I posted this in another forum and it applies here:

"Why do you want to be a police officer?" the response was some sort of, "I want to help the community, I want to put back, I want to help people, I have some life experience that has caused me to want to give back..."

That is the attitude that is "coming into police work." What I want to know is, what are we doing as an industry to screw that up? What is it about this job that causes a young, idealistic person, with a service attitude to go from wanting the help and serve to "**** them."

I can only speak from my perspective on it, and my travels "around the block" as it were. I was young, idealistic, from a great home, college educated, and found my self teleported to a piss stanked ally where muther **** was the first word in every sentence spoken. Over and over I have dealt with the 3% of the population that makes Satan continually laugh with glee. For me, life got pretty twisted pretty fast.

My working world resembles nothing that my home life does, and nothing in my rearing prepared me for this. Every social solution that I had studied in college was debunked in the first thirty minutes of my law enforcement career. The only solutions these folks understand was the end of a stick and some hand cuffs.

Now, teleport a fellow that has dealt with that to a "somebody road their bicycle through my flower bed" in the better part of town or a minor traffic accident between two decent and understanding folks, it is hard to mentally shift gears. Now the same officer gets a rudeness complaint because he was short tempered, did not hold conversation, seemed disinterested, did not smile, did not connect.

Now you got a young cop he has to bang heads on one side of town, and gets complained on by folks on the other side of town....Now develops and "us and them" attitude.

There is nothing no where that requires the public to be understanding of the police. Everything says that the police are to be understanding of the public and their issues...no matter how freaking trivial.

Then there is the classic neighborhood do gooder who demands that the police come to their neighborhood and "Do something about those speeding cars." Ok, the cops do what they do...and start stroking the people speeding in that neighborhood who are the people that live there. The the neighborhood gets up in arms about the police not being out and fighting real crime across town.

Truly, it gets to be a thankless job sometimes. It is a difficult place to ask a young person to navigate professionally and socially. Then somebody who is charged with doing something about the drug problem drops a hand grenade on a kid, or gets in a shoot out with an unarmed man, or any of a number of things, and the whole of police society is called into question. Then you begin to see why the "us and them" attitude is reenforced. Because "we" are the only folks we have to turn to for understanding. Because "you" sure as hell don't. You only get to see the police from your own narrow view.

Day in day out "you" don't see police rocking babies, buying formula and diapers, fixing bicycles, giving sound advise, picking a kid up that is walking to school because he missed the bus and running him across town or listen to the many hours of duty telephone calls for help. You have never negotiated a gun out of a guy's hand that was holding it to his head. You have never had to chose between making a hard entry to rescue so hostages, or let the event continue to evolve and wait for a better opportunity. You have never been charged with looking for a bomb, or evacuating an elementary school.

In a lot of ways we are our own worst enemies, as we don't show case that stuff. If we were to show case all that good, I become more publicly appealing, thus I have more leverage politically, and the administrators have to answer more questions about why something went the way it did....

1 person likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The police do encounter dangerous situations. But police officers know this when they chose the profession. Given that officers are given weapons and various legal powers that could be used in a dangerous fashion in the wrong hands, if you can't handle the challenges of this profession and do your job without endangering the public, you should find something else to do professionally-- much like people who are bad at math probably shouldn't be high school math teachers and people who are afraid of height shouldn't work on cellular towers for a living.

Nobody drafted these people into the police and force them to take on these very serious responsibilities

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree, if you saw my post, but are you surprised it went like it did if he got sassy with them?

Like I said, the kid is lucky he didn't get tased, bro. Or worse. Again, doesn't mean it's right at all, just being realistic. Sad but true.

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basically, this. My first thoughts on this case were the entire first paragraph.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

"nothing to see here... move along"

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Are all Cops jerks, or just some of them?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"BLACK FOLX IF YOU DON'T MAKE ME COMFORTABLE . . . *WE WILL KILL YOU*" - David Banner

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="//cdn.playwire.com/bolt/js/embed.min.js" data-width="600" data-height="380" data-config="http://cdn.playwire.com/v2/17660/config/1349760.json" data-publisher-id="17660" data-video-id="1349760"></script>

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"White America is saying . . . BLACK FOLX IF YOU DON'T MAKE ME COMFORTABLE . . . *WE WILL KILL YOU*" - David Banner

1 person likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I'll go on record and say I would be pretty pissed if a black guy broke into my home and the cops let him off if he simply said he was "family" and there was no evidence.