1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Bullard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chuck_Ferrari, Oct 8, 2014.

1. eman

eman Contributing Member

I've really grown to like Bull's commentary. Clyde, other than that one eureka moment, that amazing, brilliant utterance ("like clubbing baby seals") out of nowhere, which still makes me laugh at random moments, out loud, so people around me get nervous, sometimes makes me mute the TV. I wish they'd take Clyde out of the booth and give him ambassador duties or like that.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

knee-jerk thread

1 person likes this.
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was pretty bad that he didn't know where Caspi ended up. I mean, it's his job to have that kind of info.

4. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

I believe the intent is for the refs to change their viewpoint or how they "see" it.

That being said, the refs have got it bad. For one...there's only 3 of them. They are probably 1/3 of the speed of these athletes.

Blow a late whistle...your getting crucified by the players, coaches, and crowd; and it definitely affects the pace and possibly the next play. To avoid that, you'd have to rely on sudden movements seen in the peripheral. Certain players exploit this.

I definitely lean towards Bull's stance on the matter. The game would have a much better pace and add some more physicality, which appeals to me. personally.

5. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Hahaha. So true.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I've always liked what Bull brings to the table. Hey Bull, when working with Clyde, can you somehow keep him from speaking? Maybe club him like a baby seal? Hehehe.

7. bmd

bmd Member

You're allowed to be a homer when you are commentating for the local team's broadcast.

It would be inappropriate to be a homer if you are commentating for a national broadcast like on ESPN, TNT, ABC, etc.

8. alethios

alethios Member

His interview with DMo was cringe-worthy tho

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Is his son the kicker for UH?

10. bmd

bmd Member

No. The kicker's bio says his dad's name is Bryan.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly this vid just made me miss Kyle Lowry smh.

12. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

this is old school, but here is the archived Matt Bullard fan club website.

www.airbullard.com

The menu on the left side is active (if it shows up as blank on your browser, highlight it and the text should show up), so feel free to browse and enjoy.

The Sightings section is always a fun read.

1 person likes this.
  13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

They should just shut off Clyde's mike without telling him. That way he can still go and enjoy talking about the games, but the fans don't have to be subjected to him.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

I personally think Bullard is a great color commentator, light years better than Clyde. I love Clyde for his contributions to Phi Slama Jama and later to the Rocket's second championship run, but my gosh does he suck being a color commentator. Give me Bull ANY day of the week over Drexler.

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

what about the man who coin phrased "clubbing baby seals" ?? ha ah

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Bullard is the quintessential Power 3.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Rockets really need to abandon ship with Clyde. It's clear that he doesn't really love the organization like Bull does or even the game. Bull has clearly shown he's the Rockets number 2 commentator and it's time to give him the job as the only number 2.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

OK, that was awesome. I am going to re-post some of the sightings section over here in case the archive ever goes down.

Sighted by: Eric B.
    Date: June 1, 2001
    Place: Memorial Park, Houston

Description: I was about to meet my girlfriend in the park and propose to her. I was very nervous about marriage and the fact that instead of buying a diamond ring I bought a 0.5 carat cubic zirconium ring. Then, Matt Bullard climbs down from a tree decked out in a full tux and says that he is on his way to a charity fundraiser for homeless b*stard kids. He pats me on the back and says he understands my fears of marriage but not to be afraid and that marriage can be the best thing to happen to a guy when he's with the right girl. He next gave me a 1.5 carat real diamond ring that he says he found in the tree and told me she may like this ring better. After my chance meeting with Matt, I felt a renewed since of conifidence. Now I'm engaged and happy as can be. Thanks Matt.

Good call on the real diamond ring. I hear some women prefer that to cubic zirconia
    Sighted by: Bobby Boucher
    Date:2/13/98
    Place: Jackson's Bayou, La
    Description: Even though Matt Bullard may be the devil. My mama says so. I was still excited to see him . He was attending a football practice as a guest of coach Red Beillieux. Now I noticed that he was swaeting quite profusely, so I offered him some water. Much to my surprise he took the water and drank it. Unlike the football players who constantly give me " a boot in the patoot", Matt bullard seemed gratefull to have the water. He explained to me that he was a professional athlete and always needed to stay hydrated because of the stress his body goes through. I asked him why he was at a practice and he said that he was there to see the coach. " Why would you want to see the coach," I asked. " Because he's my daddy, Bobby" I was shocked. Matt Bullard, The b*stard son of Red Beilliuex, it couldn't be true. Then I thought about the resemblance and it all made since. Matt Bullard is not the devil, Red Bellieux is. Matt Bullard is his b*stard son sent to this earth to spread peace, love, and great basketball moments. That must be how Houston won its first championship. Houston was considered a Hellhole before the "bull" arrived. They had a pro team for every sport but couldnt get over the hump until 1994 when all the mmm's brought houston to a championship. Either that or Matt Bullard is the devil, like mama says, and 1994-1995 was part of a deal they made with him. They broke the deal and now the rockets shall suffer forever and the Bull will witness it first hand. Every once in a while he will tease the rockets, and give them a glimpse of the greatness he can bring thim if they only would not have broken the deal and sent him to Atlanta, which really is a Hellhole.

So how do you explain the Comets....unless my suspicions about Coach Chancellor....
    Sighted by: Seargent Jackson. 82nd Airborne
    Date: 1968
    Place: Classified
    Description: It was another hot day in the jungle. The V.C. were everywhere man. I pleaded to the general not to burn the village but he didn't listen. "There are CHILDREN in those huts!" , I pleaded! Just as I saw the first hut go up in flames , I felt the stinging burn of the bullet pierce my leg. I tried to walk to save the children but there was no time man. Just as I started to wonder if there was ANY good in the world, I saw Him. I could barely see the hut through the smoke. All-of-the-sudden.......a sillouette...... a man..........broad at the shoulders...............It was private Bullard! Walking un-burned through the fire! He had the children in his arms as I watched him walk by , he said the most wonderful words I've ever heard....."I'm the Bull....I'll be back for you." That was the day He saved my life and scored a 3-pointer for the children of that village. God bless Bullard!

God Bless indeed
    Sighted by: C Pennington
    Date: Summer of 95 or 96
    Place: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
    Description: At a Leonard Skynard (sic) concert at Cynthia Woods Mithcell Pavillion. Went to the head to take a wizz and there HE was. As we were doing our business, the band starts playing "Freebird". I hollered "Oh ****! -- This is what we all came to here and we are in here taking a freakin leak!" Well, everyone zipped up really fast to catch some of the tune. Everytime he makes a shot, I'm like "you go Freebird!"

Its funny how so many of you guys meet Bull in or around the can
    Sighted by: Charles Schwab Jr.
    Date: 4/1/01
    Place: Wall Street
    Description: My dad shared a story with me the other day that I thought was interesting and showed just how big an impact "Bull" has had outside the basketball arena. Many years ago, when my dad was working on Wall Street, all was right with the world. Gasoline was . 25 cents a gallon, the Chia Pet had just come out, and Gore had not invented the Internet yet. My dad said that during an investor update meeting they were discussing the large, consistent increase in cost of some of their clients stocks. They were trying to coin a term to describe this type of increase when one of my dads coworkers, a Mr. Bullard, compared this consistent increase with his son's increase in scoring average every year while playing in a local YMCA basketball league. When the two charts were overlaid they were exactly the same. My dad suggested that they call it a "Bull Market" in honor of Mr. Bullard's son, Matt. By the way, when I dropped Matt off at the game the other day he told me the Chia Pet was modeled after Moochie Norris' hair.

Many people have attributed the great "Bull" run to Matt Bullard and the recent fall in stocks to Shawn Kemp, who exemplifies laziness and poor performance.
    Sighted by: Tim
    Date: March 18, 2001
    Place: Houston
    Description: While out late one night after catching the Portland game, I stopped into a Chinese buffet near Matt's House (aka Compaq Center) when I saw the Great One (no, not Wayne Gretzky) come flying out of the restaurant with a hand over his mouth looking like he was about to puke his guts out. After the initial shock of seeing the greatest NBA player of all time in person, I had to see what freakish event could have traumatized our Houston Hero so much. After witnessing the horrendous events inside, it didn't take long for me to join the other stampeding customers as Shawn Kemp started to finish the buffet and started grabbing at his fleeing meals. Kemp stood over his vanquised buffet line with a human limb hanging out of his mouth. Thanks for the heads up, Matt. You saved my life!!!

Your lucky that you lived to tell of your sighting. P.S., did you ask Kemp if human limbs go better with sweet and sour sauce or soy sauce?
    Sighted by: Maria
    Date: yesterday
    Place: Ghana
    Description: I volunteer with the Red Cross in Ghana. About a week ago, a tall blond American came in to help us out. During the day this man-child that everyone called Bull built homes for refugees and during nights he would broker peace agreements between warring gangs and teach English to poor Ghanians. He told me that he worked in the U.S. for the "NBA" and that he had to fake a back injury to get 2 weeks to come to Africa and help us out. Thank you Mr. Matt Bullard.

I don't remember Bull mentioning going to Africa. But nice job anyways Maria.
    Sighted by: Ty Bell
    Date: 1999
    Place: Free Drug Clinic
    Description: I grew up in one of the bad areas of Houston and was in and out of juvenile detention centers as a kid. I was addicted to smack and was forced to become a male prostitute to support my smack habit. I hit rock bottom one Saturday night in 1999 when I found myself in a garbage bin fighting a rat for a half-eaten doughnut. I finally went to a free drug clinic and my counselor was none other than Matt Bullard! Now I’m smack free and am a Manager at a local Wendy’s. Thanks Matt....for everything.

Wow!!! Can you get fan club members a biggie size for the price of regular?
    Sighted by: Willie D
    Date: Last Friday
    Place: The Break Room
    Description: Every Friday our team manager buys the team some Krispy Kreme Donuts for breakfast. So I walk into the break room, same as I do every Friday, to get my eat on. When low and behold who should be sitting in there but MATT BULLARD!!!! He was sitting next to the box of Krispy Kremes, munching on a jelly-filled, drinking some coffee, and reading the Chronicle "Entertainment" Section. I ran around the corner to grab one of my buddies, but when we got back, he was gone. And so were the donuts.

Well, those Krispy Kreme Donuts are good...
    Sighted By: D.U
    Date: All the time
    Place: The streets of the Woodlands
    Description: I deliver pizzas in the Woodlands and fully remember the frist time it happened. It was a few years ago when the new corvettes came out. Sitting at an intersection this silver convertable speeds by in front of me. At first I thought cool car and then I laughed b/c the drivers head was about a foot above the windshield. I made my turn behind the man and on the license plate read BULL 50. And it struck me, jesus that was Matt Bullard. I continued to follow him just to see how he drove that beast, and I must say that it was a smooth as his rotation on another trey. I stopped trailing after the pizza was 30 minutes late! Now I see him occasionally, always with top down, usually listening to some Master P.

If I were you, that pizza would have been 3 hours late
    Alias: Trotter
    Place of Sighting: Houston
    Date: Last Friday
    Description: I was walking down the street somewhere in Houston when low and behold I run into the "The Great Bull" himself. Well, I was walking up to him so I could tell him that I basically worshipped him, when all of the sudden a car comes zooming down the street and runs over a poor little little dalmation dog. I was shocked and couldn't believe what had happened. I turned around and looked for Matt but he wasn't there! Moments later, a telephone booth door bursted open and out comes a tall man running with a red cape and a big "B" on his chest! He proceeded to give the dog mouth to mouth and rushed him to the nearest hospital where the dog had a complete recovery. Five minutes later, Matt comes walking out of a McDonalds all calm and cool. I nearly lost it in my pants. I asked Matt where he went and I told him what had happened. He responded with a witty smirk on his face by saying, "Oh really? I had to take a whiz, I always miss the interesting stuff."

This isn't the first sighting with Matt Bullard and a bathroom.

Sighted by: Jenny B.
    Date: 1999
    Place: My house
    Description: I remember how excited I was about my 16th birthday. Me and all of my friends from school got together and chowed down on some frito pies and strawberry boones. I didn’t think it was possible to be having a better time than we were already having. Then my parents turned down the lights and rolled in a giant chocolate birthday cake for me. I made my wish and blew out the candles. Then, the cake started to shake, and Matt Bullard leaped out of it! He gave me a hug and then we danced and partied with Bull until the wee hours of the morning. I remember thinking, that was the 1st time my birthday wish had ever come true. Thanks Matt, I’ll never forget my sweet sixteenth birthday.

This birthday party sounds much better than the ones I went to as a kid where the parents hired a drunk homeless person to dress up like a clown.
    Sighted by: BIG "C"
    Date: January 19, 2001
    Place: ATM machine (Greenway Plaza area)
    I went to get some money out of the ATM. When I reached for the money a gust of wind blew a $10 bill out of my hand. A man standing close by saw the event and stopped the bill with his foot for me. He looked at the bill and stated that one of the zeros had fallen off and gave me a $100 bill. I was shocked, but graciously accepted. When I asked his name he said "Matt Bullard" looking up to get a closer look, sure enough it was the Bull. I heard he was a generous guy but never thoutht he was that generous. Bless you Matt.

I tried this on 4th street once with a hot dog vendor in NY. It didn't work.
    Sighted by: DoubleCoog
    Date: October, 1997
    Place: Champions Golf Club, THE TOUR Championship
    Description: My brother and I were sitting in the grandstand to the right of the 18th green (I believe) on the 2nd day of the event. When I looked over to my right, and there, right next to me, almost eye to hip, was the larger than life figure of "The Bull" himself. He was with some other guy; some dude everyone was calling Clyde. I think he may have also played some B-Ball. But, WOW!!! I saw the Bull!!!!!

This one sounds pretty real, you lucky b*stard!
    Sighted by: Andy in Sugarland
    Date: Summer 1999
    Place: Downtown Munich
    Description: I spent last summer teaching English to orphans in Munich, Germany. After class I went down to the Hofbrau Haus to meet my mates and enjoy a pint. On the way I decided to walk through a local park and catch the local pick-up basketball matches. When,bloody hell, who do I see?...none other than MATT frickin BULLARD. He was kicking arse and dunking all over some poor german wankers and Trash Talking auf Deutsch the whole time. I tried to track him down afterwards for an autograph, but he jumped in a tricked-out Volkswagen and sped off before I got a chance

Wow!!!!
    Sighted by: Aggie John
    Date: Summer 2000
    Place: NFL 2002 Offices
    I was visiting the offices of NFL 2002 before the team name was announced. Down the hall, I noticed Matt Bullard and Bob McNair walking down a hall together. I tracked down Steve Patterson to find out what "The Bull" was doing there. He let me in on a secret. Bob McNair felt that Matt Bullard embodies the spirit of a true Texan. His courage, determination, skill, and performance under pressure are an inspiration to all. This made it a clencher that the new NFL team must be called the Texans. Of course, it would be silly to put Matt Bullard's face on the side of the helmets, so they created the "bull" symbol that represents our hero, Matt Bullard. I was sworn to secrecy until the team name was officially announced.

I’m not sure that it would be “silly” to have the Bull’s face plastered on the side of their new helmets, but nice sighting anyways Aggie John
    Sighted by: Joel Cochran
    Date: October '92
    Place: Cactus Records
    Description: In October '92, I was working at Cactus Records on South Shepherd, and Matt came in. He scanned our oldies cassette section (this was apparently before he signed his big deal and bought a cd player) for about 15 minutes, and left without buying anything.

Awesome!! I bet he was looking for some vintage STYX

I am about 75% sure that Bull wrote those himself

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Met Bullard at a movie theatre in The Woodlands. He was really nice and agreed to take a pic with me.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If he thinks a joke is "working", he tends to use it too many times per game. The corniness is too much for me. But he's "passable" as a commentator, in terms of my tastes.