1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cowboys

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, the game played out pretty much like I thought it would, the main exception being really poor play by the Texans O line to where we didn't start moving the ball effectively till the 2nd half. This was a very winnable game, we just didn't execute properly.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd rather mix it up and go for some big plays than deal with the stagnant offense that basically moves the ball 6 yards, then punts.

Gotta go deep, give Hopkins a chance for a jump ball...something, anything. Worst case scenario, a 40 yard pass gets picked off. That's like punting it anyways, which was going to happen regardless.

The problem with the offense right now is that teams are sitting on the run or short pass. That makes it 10x harder to do anything. If Fitz throws a pick, so be it...I'd rather lose by going for it, than lose by playing it safe.

It's like the Kubiak school of thought...play not to lose, rather than play to win. Right now, we're playing not to lose.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

If I may...

If he's been around 50+ years (like myself), he's lived through the debacle that was the Houston Oilers & Bud Adams. The Oilers' DECADES of ineptitude is a prime reason you have so many Cows fans in Houston because while the Cows under the Landry-Schram-Murchison regime was becoming "America's Team" (according to NFL Films), the Oilers were giving you very few moments to cheer for. They reached their zenith during the "Luv You Blue" years under Bum Phillips when they conclusively proved that running Earl Campbell into a nine man front did not work. Other than that, all I have is painful and embarassing memories of watching them stumble and bumble along.

As for basso, his posts are pretty much respectful and measured. BELIEVE me he is the farthest thing from the typical "Got Five" airhead Cows fan that I encounter every day up here. He's given no reason to be banished by the "fan purity police".

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have no issue with fans of other teams coming here and posting. I like to read the perspective of the non-fan and I also enjoy the back-and-forth both before and after the game. The best solution is the team getting better and winning these games... and to be truthful, I don't remember seeing anyone taking cheap shots (even "scoreboard" to me is a reasonable shot... you can be sure we'd be pointing at the scoreboard if we won). If you expect to dish it out... you gotta be able to take it too.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

in a nutshell you guys are fair weather fans & when things get tough you run to the cowboys.

gotchya.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Texans fans force Cowboys to go silent. Tony Romo said after the game Sunday that the Cowboys were forced to use a silent snap count in their home stadium because of the noise created by traveling Texans fans.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=11649360&city=dallas&src=desktop

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can Fitz throw it 40yrds?

Rocket River

8. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

damn was close. got the margin right but the wrong team winning.

9. rezdawg

Yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick can throw the ball 40 yards.

You dont remember the 44 yard laser to Damaris Johnson against the Giants?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You really are some sort of a self-righteous pinhead. Please show where I said I was a Cows fan. Haven't you seen any of my posts poking fun at Jerry Jones & the Cows or are you content to pass snap judgements that have no basis in fact? Honestly, this inferiority complex Houston football fans have about the Cows needs to end.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Speaking about D Johnson, he sucks. Doesn't this sytem require a good slot guy and utilizes tight ends to execute well? :confused:

#1611 sammy, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cut him and pickup Holiday. Would be a huge spark for field position.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This was a Winnable game

QUESTION: Did the better team win? Or Were we outcoached?

Rocket River

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they certainly weren't outcoached, the game came down to OT and a ridiculously lucky catch. As to if the better team won, who knows? It certainly looked like they were fairly evenly matched.....which is why it came down to OT.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It was a moral victory in a trap game. Lol

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of true in a way, it was a trap game in that we have a MUCH more important game coming up on Thursday and it's a moral victory in that we were able to march down the field to force OT.

17. rezdawg

Yeah, he's terrible...it was a head scratching decision to pick him up off waivers in the first place. I forgot who it was on here that was so excited to get him. The guy had been less successful than K. Martin, so it never made sense.

We are sorely missing a slot guy. That's what makes offenses move chains...Welker, Edelman, Harvin, Cobb, etc...

18. rezdawg

Nice try Bobby...we were outplayed. We went into OT because we were fortunate to be +2 in TOs.

They not only were coached better, but they also executed better. Just because it went into overtime doesnt mean we were evenly matched...The Texans were fortunate to get it to overtime.

First downs: 24 to 15 in favor of Dallas.
    Total yards: 456 to 330 in favor of Dallas.
    Possession: 36 min to 31 min in favor of Dallas.

The only thing that kept it close was 3 Dallas turnovers to 1 Houston turnover.

However, throughout the game we were consistently on our heels...our defense bent and was fortunate to have those three takeaways. And our offense...no need to go there, as it was clear that we couldnt do anything until 7 min remained in the game.

We were lucky to be in a position to get the game into overtime, but to think that it was just an even match throughout the game is completely false. We hung tough, but ultimately, the team that coached better and executed better, won the game.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can dismiss forcing 3 turnovers and the team moving the ball down the field for the TD to tie it up as "luck" but that's really just pessimism in the face of reality. If anything, the Cowboys were "lucky" that the Texans struggled to get their ground game going till the 2nd half or they wouldn't have been in the game at all.

20. rezdawg

Im talking about a play by play basis, the Cowboys were outplaying the Texans. Im not dismissing the turnovers...but we werent evenly matched yesterday. If the Texans have to rely on the turnover to be in games, then we arent a good team at all. The sign of a good team is losing the turnover battle, but still winning. When you win the turnover battle by 2 and lose...then you're getting outcoached and outplayed.