1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas vs James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rcketsfan1, Sep 10, 2014.

1. daytripper

daytripper Member

Effort is a skill.

Back to DMo. He's too soft to play in the low post and doesn't have a consistent shot to play as a stretch 4 in Moreyball. Not sure where that really leaves him. Maybe he can carve a niche as a big off the bench for another team... or eventually end up playing back in Europe. He has some skills but don't see him as a long term fixture for the Rox.

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

correct! Look at Faried during this World Cup.

Frustrated at DMo who cannot assert himself on the floor whether on defense or offense the last two games of LITH. He doesn't have any elite quality or talent--not strong enough, not quick enough, not skilled enough offensively. Still can foul too much sigh

We've given him 2 years already; he's beginning his 3rd season.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

D-Mo is a scrub to the nth degree. He is fool's gold. That's why we are forced to start TJ.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I am starting to fall off the the Dmo band wagon. The game also showed that harden is either just short or that Lithuania is just ginormous. They were passing over his head. Is Harden 6'5 or 6'3?

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

On paper, DMo is everything we'd want in a power forward. Sadly, he lacks any semblance of toughness, and as much as people want to believe he's a "stretch 4", he bricks mostly everything.

I'm cool with T-Jones being traded, but it better be for somebody good, because DMo as our starting 4 sounds awful right now.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Give DMo consistent minutes, then question his talent

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm not certain about D-Mo because his height gives me hope. But Terrence jones is for sure fool's good. It'll be interesting to see what happens this year.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

im not even much of a TJ fan but hes entering his 3rd season where hes improved drastically since his rookie year. not to mention last year was his first year starting. fool's gold? smh. seems like its really hard to see solid players for some of you.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He got consistent minutes during this World Cup. heck, even his coach benched him in the 2nd half of their TUR match. And that's with Asik shutting down Jonas.

As a result, Maciulis as the 4 went off and LITH got the win.

DMo talks big but doesn't have the play to back it up. Except in the SL or Dleague.

10. elainas

elainas Member

Game for Bronze medals after half of hour

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He took and missed about 7 hurried shots in the 1st 3 min of the game, and was banished by his coach to the bench.

Where did the summer league DMo go?

Meanwhile Jonas has been unstoppable.

12. vator

vator Contributing Member

D Mo has failed to even be a solid and reliable option on his national team yet again. I've been waiting to see some improvement from him, but other than adding a little bulk to his frame since draft day, I'm not seeing much to get excited about. I want to believe, but he makes it so damn hard. He still gets bullied, he is still a so so rebounder, he still has no consistent outside shot, and he still rushes his post moves.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Damn I missed the game! I guess DMo decided not to show up...

Congrats on a great tourney, Lietuva! A top 4 finish without their star guard is very impressive; the future looks bright.

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

Let's just be honest here. D Mo hasn't decided to show up in any of their last 3 games. They made it this far despite his lack of positive contribution. I'm giving him credit for his 8 point 8 rebound on 2-7 shooting game against New Zealand. When the Round of 16 started and the games really started to mean something, he found himself frequently glued to the bench. I'm feeling more confident in Jeff Adrien at the moment.

15. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

I don't know if fiba games are a accurate way of either getting on or falling off dmo's bandwagon. What matters is what he does in the nba with the rockets. He dominated the summerleague while the offense ran through him most of the time. Point being, lets wait and see how he has improved and developed as a NBA player.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

When DMo starts to take responsibility about his game, and not blame it on coaches, lack of playing time, Harden and Howard not eating with him (joke!), etc

then I think he will get the proper attitude to improve. He shouldn't care about his stats but about the little things to help his team win. He has a lot of growing up to do.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Part of D-mo's decline in production in FIBA play had to do with the way teams started playing Lithuania after Kalnietas went down. Teams made sure that they couldn't even get the ball in the post under any circumstance. Once teams starting playing them differently it just made more sense to go with the twins as much as possible. We all know from his history that if he doesn't get involved in the offense sometimes his body language goes sour and it affects his focus on defense and the boards.

The problem with DMo hasn't been that he's a bad player. He's certainly not. The issue is you really have to play through him to make him affective and he's just not elite enough to sacrifice your entire offensive scheme just to get him going.

Let's just see if McHale can figure something out for him to do on offense this year so they can actually use him.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not holding my breath. The most frustrating thing last season with DMo on the floor was that they would post up Asik before they post up DMo. That made absolutely no sense.

DMo obviously did not deserve sacrificing Harden's and Howard's (even Parsons's) offense. But he didn't get that even with the backups. Looks like the only place he could be the center piece is the DLeague and the summer league.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

to be fair to McHale, many of us have said DMo's game resembles McHale's. So I think Coach knows how to use him, and has probably tried in practice.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Effort is not a skill.

Everybody that plays the game plays with effort, each player plays with a different degree of effort.

Dmo is too soft to play in the post? Do you watch Basketball? Scorign in the low post is Dmo's strength.