1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Missed your reply. I second the bolded part :grin:

2. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

With the expected cap increase a max Rondo deal next year might not be that bad. Since Rondo will miss out on the expected cap increase I would guess he would want a sign and trade, if that's the case Celtics may be better off keeping him until the deadline/offseason to see if a better deal pops up

3. basketballholic

You need to discuss it with Coon. As I brought to your attention before he said you can't compound or double up on 150% deals. IOW, you can't trade for a $7.5 million player using $5 million of outgoing salary and then immediately turn around and trade the $7.5 million player for over $11.25 million in incoming salary. That is what Coon referred to as stepping up basis. He said it circumvents the 150% rule and league office wouldn't allow it.

If Coon is right then we essentially have to move Gee, Hopson, and Powell to acquire Terry. We could then flip Terry by himself for 150% more salary because the acquisition of Terry didn't involve using the 150% rule since we would be sending out over $5.8 million of salary in the original Terry trade.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He never said we weren't getting Rondo.

I don't recall his post on Bledsoe however.

5. basketballholic

Yes but............would't a re-signed Bledsoe, signed at probably over $5 million per season less than what Rondo is going to be asking for, and approximately 5 years younger than Rondo...wouldn't that Bledsoe make more sense for Boston than Rondo at this point?

Just a FYI for everyone, it's not just Bledsoe we are waiting on. We are waiting on Rondo to let Ainge know what he wants to do. Ainge is going to trade him unless Ainge can get him to agree to an extension or get enough positive vibe from Rondo that he knows Rondo is staying (unlikely). So, either Rondo signs a 4-year max extension with Ainge (or a little above the max he can make by going on the free agent market) or he's going to get traded. The problem with trading him now is that whomever he gets traded to has to have re-assurances that Rondo will stay. They're going to want a 4-year extension signed from Rondo too.

Rondo is most likely going to wind up signing an extension, either with Boston to stay in Boston or to be traded to the team of his choosing.

#9545 basketballholic, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  6. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

I was not aware of the Lin exception. Bass was offered to GS for their trade exception but GS let it expire instead. I could see that deal go down

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not saying we'll get Rondo, but we do have some decent picks / players to offer. He'd be out of reach if he had more than one year left on his deal, though.

8. delishman

delishman Member

Understand the frustration but can't see a team with elite assets trading in for Rondo. Due to his age, injury history, and pending fat contract, he is not the type of player a team will pay equal-ish value for ala D-Will to the Nyets.

Kings are really only the viable detestation with Stauskaus+future first rounder+mclemore in the fold but without that extension, I doubt they would give up more than Mclemore.

If Rondo is not traded:

Best case: dude balls out of his mind and a team gets desperate offering a loot package for him.

Worst Case: He's hurt and Celts walk away empty handed.

Likely: You'd end up with even less at the deadline.

9. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Yes it would make more sense but how would the Celtics get Bledsoe in a Rockets Celtics deal? I believe Smart is the PG of the future for the Celtics

10. chandlerbang21

4 point guards on roster and all I read is we need a pg lol

11. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

I understand Rondo's value. A young player (Jones) and a first rounder plus fillers sounds about right, it's the whole PF thing that's the problem. A third decent young PF as your main prize for Rondo doesn't make much sense.

Rondo will have a big season it's a contract year he will use that as motivation. I see Rondo signing as a FA in NY next season. If it was up to me I would try to figure out something with Sac. If they can also acquire Smith I believe Rondo would sign an extension. Rondo and Smith are good friends

12. Solaris

Solaris Member

Rondo will be another D Rose.

13. basketballholic

Agreed. But Smart is a big guard. He can run the point and defend 2's. And he's probably actually better off defending 2's than 1's. With Bledsoe Boston simply has cross matches in the backcourt. Bledsoe plays off the ball offensively and defends 1's.

A Bledsoe Rondo deal may not involve the Rox. It may be PHX and BOS straight up figuring out the ancillary parts to put a deal together. PHX may be able to get Josh Smith from DET for a little bit of nothing to pair with Rondo/Goran/Tucker/??? for a very good run and gun defensive team.

Or

the Rox may be the team that flips for Rondo (I doubt this) sending assets to PHX in a 3-way deal. Or possibly even sending assets to DET for Monroe to flip to PHX.

Lots of possibilities. But make no mistake it's musical chairs of the point guards going on right now.

Personally....................I think Morey would rather pay Bledsoe max for 2 seasons than to trade for Rondo and have to pay him guaranteed $$$ for 4 years. And I ultimately believe that Morey would go to the ends of the earth to acquire Rubio. If a Bledsoe/Rondo swap took place between PHX/BOS....with Rondo signing an extension and Bledsoe getting locked for 3-4 seasons....that leaves Rubio on the free agent market next summer without Rondo and Bledsoe alongside. Chaching. I don't think Rubio is Flip's guy. And I'm pretty sure Morey wants him.

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jones could be flipped to a third team for a comparable player at a more preferred position. Besides Jones isn't the key return, it's obviously the pick.

I think rondo is gone. I think Sacramento is the perfect trade partner but with rondo unwilling to agree on an extension there, sac well obviously scale down its offer. TBH, if i was Sacramento I would take the risk. What other options do they have.

15. TheresTheDagger

What am I getting at? I'm getting at the idea your comment reminded me of a funny moment in a movie.

Sounds like you need to take a step back dude, cause nobody was taking a shot at you....well....accept for maybe yourself for overreacting. :rolleyes:

Gag on Plowman's pitchfork? WTH does that even mean? LOL.

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Quality over quantity.

17. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

I believe the Celtics may already have a trade set up tomorrow or later this week. Marcus Thornton is eligible to be traded today the 10th. Celtics haven't announced the Turner signing I think a Thornton trade is in the works and may be part of a bigger deal or a deal that will allow the domino's start to fall. Would Houston be interested in Thornton?

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He could be a backup pg, he shoots ok at least, doesn't defend for **** though.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He might be, but did you see him play this year post injury and do you understand that his game is not predicated on superior athleticism? Rose's is.

I'm hoping for Josh Smith and Rondo! Defense ch ch! Defense chhh chhh!

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Even though I'm quite skeptical that the Rockets will make a major trade before the season starts, I'm still holding out hope that we at least make a run at Rondo, considering he's available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.