1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basketballholic

This matches what I've been saying for awhile that PHX was willing to pay Bledsoe up to the same amount he will get if he plays for the QO and then goes and gets a max deal somewhere else.

And if he says NO....I think they'll offer him a 2-year deal with a player option on the second season for a little above his QO and then try and deal him later to a team that wants him and he wants to play for.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bledsoe may be at the point that he is so pissed off that equal money somewhere else is clearly preferable, especially if it looks to him like they are trying to play him

Never underestimate the irrational power of anger. Bledsoe to this point seems like a really angry guy interested in respect.

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

For those in the know or with an opinion, does anyone think that if this is true and Bledsoe accepts the front-loaded deal, does Phoenix then move to possibly trade Dragic to us (or anyone)? Or has that ship sailed and they plan to keep both Dragic and Bledsoe even if Bledsoe accepts the new offer?

4. baubo

baubo Member

From what I know of the CBA, if we don't trade Terry on 9/15, when the Kings trade will happen, then we can't trade him until December. By the same token, since we haven't officially signed Papanikolaou yet to his 30 day wait before becoming tradable won't happen until after October.

How would we match salary in late September at the Bledsoe deadline without Terry and/or Papa?

5. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

We don't have to execute the trade on 15 September, it's just the first day the trade can go down. Is Sacramento in a rush?

6. basketballholic

We could turn the Terry trade into enough salary to get Bledsoe at the max.

Gee
    Hopson
    Powell
    Terrence
    Covington
    Canaan
    Capella

is enough outgoing salary to trade for Bledsoe signed at the max. And they'll all be trade eligible in a few days.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I don't think it will. I still think Dragic is the guy PHX is going to ditch. I don't think they want to pay him his max after next season and he's liable to get a max offer. However...we have enough salary to turn into Bledsoe, if PHX wants to take on Terry's contract along with Hopson, Terrence, Covington, Canaan, and Capella.

7. basketballholic

No they aren't. Sacramento is getting a $5.8 million TPE out of this deal. They'd just as soon drag it out until the last day of training camp to extend their 1-year window for the use of the TPE.

8. delishman

delishman Member

GOGI to HTOWN. Complete the Terry trade. Use the TPE after Bled signs. If he does not sign, RONDO/RUBIO happens.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets can turn around and trade Terry immediately after acquiring him, if they so choose.

What they cannot do is AGGREGATE Terry's salary with other salaries for matching purposes.

For instance, a Terry-plus-picks for Dragic trade could happen soon after the Rockets acquire Terry. No real waiting period needed for that one. (The Rockets could also do one or more "separate" trades involving other players in exchange for non-rotation Suns players.)

10. delishman

delishman Member

But now that I think about it.. I believe we would need the Terry contract to make a Rondo trade work. Any Rondo trade would have to happen before the 14th. Someone can bust me if this is incorrect.

11. basketballholic

Can the Rox trade Gee and Powell for Terry using the 150% rule and then turn around and trade Terry for Gogi using the 150% rule without waiting 60 days?

(Had a convo with Larry Coon last year where he indicated you couldn't step up basis like that without waiting for 60 days.)

12. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Aren't they getting players back? Non guaranteed or not they won't get the full amount in a TPE, only the difference between incoming and outgoing salary.

13. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

I don't think they can and apparently that is one of the cap circumventing moves that the league is looking out for this year.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Just want to note one thing about the Jason Terry trade:

The interesting thing about the trade isn't the trade was made (it's a minor deal in which both teams derive some benefit), but why the trade is made public right now when it cannot be made official for a couple more weeks.

I am pretty sure that Wojnarowski "broke" this story with the consent of the teams, who intentionally "leaked" the info to him. A journalist like Woj relies on having good relations with his team sources and being the first to report the Jason Terry trade isn't going to generate enough extra page views for Woj to risk annoying his friends with the Kings and Rockets by letting the trade known earlier than the teams would like.

This is kind of similar to the Omer Asik/Pelicans deal-- announced/"leaked" weeks before it actually happened and before the Pelicans even had the cap flexibility to make it happen. That one was made public early because the Rockets want it known around the NBA that they already took the first step toward clearing cap space and want that first step more or less locked down-- the teams could change their minds before the trade was official, but there would be a PR backlash as future trade partners would feed disinclined to trust a team that went back on its words.

The team did complete the trade late on more or less as reported, but amended it to make it incorporate Trevor Ariza and a few non-guaranteed deals.

In the Terry case, it seems that the Kings may want the trade made public and locked down so that it could contact some free agents or discuss trades moves using the flexibility generated by acquiring these non-guaranteed deals-- the Kings were right up against the luxury tax line before the trade, and will have around $6M of space below the line after the trade is made. The Rockets might have similar plans to at least include the extra draft picks and maybe Terry's contract in a trade offer to be discussed (even if not imminently to be completed).

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think you (and others) are reading too much into the timing of when these trades are being leaked.

First off, they are being "leaked" because the teams agreed in principle at that time, and Woj/whoever just got the scoop on that agreement in principle.

The Asik trade was agreed to the night before the draft because the Rockets needed to pull the trigger then before New Orleans opted for other trades of its 2015 pick: namely, trading it for a 2014 pick.

The Terry trade was agreed to on Saturday because the Kings had to decide whether to waive Terry and use the Stretch provision on him in order to minimize his cap impact for this season (one in which the Kings are right up against the luxury tax threshold). The deadline to use the Stretch provision on a player was the very next day.

Bottom line: I strongly doubt that either the Asik trade or the Terry trade were "leaked" at those given times because of ulterior motives to put other teams on notice for related moves. They were just agreed to in principle at those times by necessity, then someone got the scoop and reported that agreement. Sure, ulterior motives could be served in this process; but that was not the primary reason for the timing of the news stories.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

My thoughts exactly. It's not that there is a trade....it's the timing of the annoucement. It means something to either or both of Sac and Hou.

My guess is Houston, simply because of the example you provided.....the Asik trade. I believe we told Sac we want the flexibility to extend the "deadline" of this trade for a week or two beyond September 15th (when the trade can technically be completed) in addition to adding a 3rd team into the mix. This allows for the Bledsoe situation to work itself out. If not, then we have an expiring contract and two 2nds, which is a good trade of itself.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The stretch provision deadline makes sense as a reason to have the trade agreed to. If the Kings were contemplating using the stretch provision to reduce Terry's immediate cap hit, though, doesn't it make sense that they have some sort of plans for a potential FA signing with the extra space? Likely not a huge $ signing or anything, but maybe signing someone making $2-3M plus having some flexibility to address a need arising mid-season due to injury or something before hitting the tax line.

It could well be that the teams don't really gain much by having the agreement-in-principle made public and are not primarily motivated by potential subsequent moves in making the deal public, but at least it doesn't seem like that the teams mind it being made public and the teams (primarily the Kings with their extra space below the tax line) do get to explore subsequent deals with this commitment in mind.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Man I love how many actual GM's we have on this board....

No longer do people think what is happening... They know exactly what every team is doing and why...

I knew Morey had an account to clucthfans, but i didn't know the Phoenix, Boston and Sacramento GM's had an account to the board also...

CLUTCH YOU REALLY ARE THE MAN..

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  19. Zbed

Zbed Member

I have no idea if/when anything is going to happen so unlike most of you I'm going to have some PATIENCE (some of you need it) and sit back and wait and see.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just don't pass out on zee bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.