1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've read cba faq a million times. I think you are wrong on this one.

2. basketballholic

okie dokie.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I read that site. I don't see anything about a team being allowed to take incoming contracts and absorb them into a TPE while having another TPE created from the same contracts. Can you point out specifically where it says that can happen or point out a trade example where it actually happened. It seems like a team receiving a double benefit to me. If you absorb the contracts into a TPE then you can't get another TPE for them. The only other way the trade would work is if it were separate transactions with us using our TPE to absorb the Terry contract.

Instead of telling us to read a site wouldn't it be easier to just copy and paste the specific section where it says such a transaction is allowed? We have read that site and don't recall seeing such a thing.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

It has been broken down previously in the thread, but the confusing thing about the trade is that one team may think of a trade as one complete transaction, while another can think of it as multiple separate transactions.

From the Rockets' side, the trade is:

Terry in ($5.8M)

Gee ($3M), Powell ($1.3M) out. Using the Simultaneous Trade Exception, up to 150% of the outgoing salary can be received. Since Powell is a minimum salary player with more than 3 years of experience, he only counts for the salary of a 2-year veteran in outgoing salary ($915,243). 150% of $3.915243M) is $5.87M, so the trade is legal.

From the Kings' side, the trade is actually broken up into 3 parts:

Gee in ($3M)

Absorbed into the trade exception generated from the Isaiah Thomas trade ($3.6M)

Powell in ($1.3M)

The Minimum player trade exception allows teams to accept minimum salary players regardless of trade matching rules.

Nothing in,

Terry out ($5.8M)

Sacramento thus generates a new trade exception of $5.8M, the difference in salary between what they are taking in (in this single transaction part), and what they are sending out.

It seems confusing, because it is, how one team can break up a trade into 3 parts, while the other team has one part, but that's the CBA for you. The Rockets have done similar things as well in the past to extend the life of trade exceptions, notably in the Francis-McGrady swap, whereby they used an expiring trade exception from the Glen Rice/John Amaechi Salary Dump to generate a new exception equal to the BYC value of Steve Francis's contract, that was good for an additional year.

5. basketballholic

The TPE is not created from the same contracts. The TPE is created from the outgoing contract of Terry. The TPE's that Sacramento currently has are the TPEs that they USE to absorb Gee and Powell or Hopson.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

People, basketballholic is correct.

The "trade" is different from Houston's perspective than it is from Sacramento's perspective.

From Houston's perspective, it is Gee + (Hopson or Powell) for Terry, which works under salary-matching rules for teams under the luxury tax.

From Sacramento's perspective, it is THREE separate trades:
    (1) Gee into the Isaiah Thomas TPE
    (2) EITHER Hopson (into another TPE) or Powell (acquired via the Minimum Salary Exception)
    (3) Terry for nothing, generating a new $5.85M TPE

This is allowed under the CBA.

Like basketballholic said, if you haven't read the cbafaq link he included in prior posts, please read it. If you read it but still do not understand, please re-read it. If you re-read it and still do not understand, please just trust us on this one.

7. traveler

traveler Member

lol

There is another issue that he was talking about. No trades can be made if over the cap.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Ok, will just trust y'all on it. Thanks for the responses.

9. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Terry has been trying to get back to Dallas for two seasons now.....he got within 3-4 hrs away..that's pretty close.

10. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

Anyways, as long as he can keep hitting 3's at 38 %..... he has a role.

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

If he can hit big shots for us, I'm happy regardless of what he did in the past. And if his salary can help us land another max player... Id be ecstatic

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think I'll just skip the reading altogether and trust you.

13. Zbed

Zbed Member

I don't see how anyone can dislike this trade. They're just butt hurt from what Terry used to do to the Rockets.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

See Bima,

First choice is.. Bima.. What does all this crap mean...

No need to read the Texas CPA manual the entire weekend....

T_Man

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm with you on this notion.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it makes more sense for them to want powell so they don't have to use part of another TPE. that would leave hopson and covington as bait for the next move.

i wouldn't expect anything until preseason when teams have to start making hard cuts to the roster. there may be a situation where a more expensive (expiring) contract is beaten out for a spot by a younger cheaper option. instead of holding onto the vet because they don't want to cut a $3M player, they could trade for our NG contracts.

one such situation is in detroit. they have jennings, augustin, bynum, and their second round pick PG (i forget his name). as a third string position, i'd rather have the second rounder and see what he can turn into. they might feel like "cutting" bynum by trading him for NG contracts.

other players with the right sized expiring contract who project as third stringers are:

gary neal
    tyler hansbrough
    daryl arthur
    jj barea
    joel freeland

i doubt the nuggets or blazers want to deal with us for fear of those players helping us pass them or beat them in a playoff series... or worse, help us land a third star.

neal might find minutes on a team that needs experience and shooting, and hansbrough is a fan fave in toronto, doesn't mean much but they can afford to keep him so there is no motivation to make the move. barea would be great but because of price we would have to add canaan or capela making it not worth it for us... unless we absorb him into the lin TPE but that's using a better asset to acquire a lesser asset.

i like our chances at bynum the best. he and terry would combine for about $9M in expiring contracts. pair that with young assets like canaan, donuts, capela, johnson, daniels, jones, and bev... and throw in all of the picks we can add... now we can really make a very strong offer for rondo or a player of his calibur/salary.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

The only thing you bring to CF is your jingoism in general and your hatred for Lin specifically. Let it go or seek medical assistance if that is not possible. The guy is no longer a Rocket but you continue to pursue your vendetta at every opportunity.

Do you have ANY thoughts at all that are not negatively directed at a former Rocket???

18. platypus

platypus Member

All his thoughts are dominated by

[​IMG]

19. basketballholic

Yeah, I think Powell makes sense to Sacramento more than Hopson does. I think Hopson actually has a small amount of value as an actual player and has a decent chance to make a roster since the league is very weak at the SG position.

However....Detroit and Will Bynum....don't see that. If we do indeed complete the trade for Terry...that's 16 guaranteed contracts and like 5 point guards. You're saying take Hopson and Covington and trade for another PG with another guaranteed deal. We can only keep 15 guys going into the regular season. So....doesn't make sense unless we are moving a bunch of our PGs out in other deals.

In my opinion I think it's more likely that this deal turns into a multi-team deal with possibly a guaranteed contract or two going out as well to another team(s).

As far as the other players you mentioned...Neal and Barrea in the same category as Bynum. We gonna have to move some other PGs and get back a second rounder for taking on one of those guys.

But the bigs you mentioned...interest me. I have always liked Hansbrough and Arthur. And Arthur has the potential to shoot the 3. Hansbrough is a simply a big, strong boy with great hands that forces the ball to the hole and gets to the FT line a ton. Good interior defender too. He would fit here as a backup big very well. And I'd think Uriji would want at least a pick for him.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree with pretty much everything here. the point of such a trade would be to acquire picks by spending cash. you're right that we dont need the players and have no need to take on the salary...unless a pick is coming our way. i still think its unlikely though because the better players that you mentioned are harder to get (def wont bring us a pick). the guards are more likely to be available with a pick for NG contracts. all in all i dont think another move is very likely because neither team is benefiting enough from such a move.

we can't move out anyone we signed this summer until mid december. the only guys we could add to a trade are canaan, capela, donuts, jones, and bev. not worth giving up any of those guys for anyone on the list in my previous post.

most likely we roll with terry ($6M), donuts ($1.5M), bev ($1M), nola pick, knicks/kings second rounders as the offer for rondo. about $8.5M is the low end of what would match salaries for a trade with rondo's $12M.

i think the roster gets trimmed to:

dwight-donuts-capela
    jones-adrien-dorsey
    ariza-pap-garcia
    harden-terry-daniels
    bev-canaan-johnson

if they aren't traded, hopson/covington will be waived do to their NG status. black will be cut. and the last cut will be between ish and garcia, but do to the terry trade we have less need for him.