1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014 Summer] Papanikolaou and the Greek National Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Aug 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. omgTHEpotential

Expect Greece to win by a blowout margin.

2. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

flopper gets less respect

k pap is 6'9" and reacts like he got hit by shaq when in reality he apparently got hit ever so slightly by a guy 5'10" at the most

man up k pap

3. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

asa .

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Renaldo Balkman refuses to go quietly lol

5. Amir's Johnson

Papa just killed it with the block leading to the assist before halftime.

6. shastarocket

Halftime.

Papa has been pretty invisible in his limited time. However, when he does show up it is purely through hustle or smart moves to the hoop. Of course, he likes to set up at the corners waiting for a 3PT opportunity. He had a nice defensive play at the rim the prevented a PR layup.

I guess we know what to expect from him: a solid role player with a limited ceiling. He should be great for us off the bench and should fit in nicely if we decide to go small with Ariza at the 4.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

maybe I'm watching a different tournament than you. The Philippines has played against Croatia, Greece, and argentina, aside from that 1 play where a Filipino player retaliated against Kpap for clothes lining one of the Filipino guards early in the first quarter, what other dirty plays have you seen?

Also I guess you hate the Spanish national team as well...

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I can just hear Worrell when I see Kosta play saying:

"He just knows how to play the game"

Kostas isn't going to wow anyone with dominant offense, athleticism, or physicality. But the guy just always seems to be in the right spot, and always seems to make the right basketball play all the time. Constantly moving the ball sharply to the right spots, and finding shooters. Rarely gambles or falls asleep on defense, and knows exactly where to be.

I know most folks here are very unimpressed, but just give this guy a chance to show that during the season he can make an impact even if it doesn't show up in the stats. And off the court everything you hear is that this guy really is a great locker room professional & a great teammate.

Give the guy a chance, and please stop comparing him to Casspi.

9. bmd

bmd Member

He doesn't seem to be somebody who looks for his own shot.

Everything he does is to set up others to get their shots.

He will spot up sometimes, but he's mainly looking to pass it seems.

Pure role-player. And I'm not saying that in a bad way.

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Surprised anybody still knows who he is, I remember New York was talking so highly of him when they had him on his team for some reason when he really never did anything.

11. bmd

bmd Member

So that's the narrative now? At first you were denying that it ever happened. Now you admit it happened, but because he was just retaliating.

Funny how stories change over time until one reality is finally settled on as acceptable after it was shaped to your liking.

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

lol This reads like something about Shane Battier's character and basketball skills.

13. bmd

bmd Member

Agreed. He just does the right things.

It will be even more apparent when he's playing with more talented players on the Rockets.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Do we do one of these for Francisco Garcia's FIBA performances also?

He was shooting lights out his last game. Just getting an old self Garcia is a major plus for our depth. Hopefully he's over whatever injury had him funky all last year...

15. shastarocket

^I'll be honest, I haven't watched much of Garcia in FIBA and I doubt many folks would be interested. He seems to be the main creator on the DR team and is allowed to go 1on1 as much as he wants. Nothing we didn't already know. I guess we should just be pleased that he still has something in the tank!
    ----------------

One thing I've noticed about Papa when he sets up at the weak side corner and someone penetrates into the paint, is that he smartly crashes the boards for an opportunistic oreb and putback.

Dude also seriously loves to run the break.

#135 shastarocket, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Earlier i said i didn't see it clearly and maybe kpap just did a euroflop.

I condone what he did. Happy?

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Sounds like rookie Parsons...Morey was not joking about finding the Parsons...

18. bmd

bmd Member

Well, people are interested in Papanikolaou because many have never seen him play.

And people are interested in Motiejunas because they want to see if he has improved since he's still a young player.

People here pretty much know what kind of a player Garcia is. So that's why not many are interested in watching him play in this tournament. He's not really going to improve at this point in his career. He is who he is. We can just hope that during the regular season he is healthy and plays at the highest level that he is capable of playing.

19. shastarocket

Did I mention how hilariously awesome Balkman is?

Also Calathes vs. Barea is like the battle of the church league PGs

#139 shastarocket, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

True, I agree. I've been watching Papa and D-Mo games, and will probably just check on Garcia's line for his games. It was a back injury. Old guys getting back from a back or knee issue usually doesn't end well. If he's back then we got a tough, wily 2-way veteran again.