1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jason Terry traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of non-guaranteed contracts for Jason Terry and two 2nd rounders?

1. YES

483 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

139 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

After this year according to ShamSports.com

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They said we have 18 different trades lined up for All Stars. It just depends which one we want to do.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Sweeeeeeet

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

until its finalized it aint done... Asik expanded to a 3 team deal... I do not believe this is the finished product...

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah, because teams are itching to give their star players to us for Jason Terry & (2) 2nd rounders.

6. King901

King901 Member

Thanks buddy. I can now sleep at night.:cool:

7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Low risk, potentially very high reward on this trade.

I like it a lot.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It is not obvious at all that this is the 'last big move'. This might well be the tip of the iceberg move? See below.

Basically there is now 'several weeks' until this trade can be exanded (or Terry can be flipped).
    Morey picked up 2 extra 2nds, which he can add to the expiring deal of Terry (a single contract, not multiple), in order to make a trade for a larger salary.

Terry (5.45mill)
    Papa (4.5mill)
    Motiejunas (1.5mill)
    Pelicans pick
    multiple 2nd rounders

Can all be dangled for a $15-16million player.

There are PG upgrades available in that price range.

9. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Better than Lin.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I feel better now

Rocket River

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This does not appear to be correct.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

First, Terry can be traded again right after the deal is done if his salary isn't aggregated with another salary in order to take on a bigger contract. His contract is big enough to be used to acquire a decent sized incoming contract-- like Dragic's.

Second, a player acquires by trade can be traded again while aggregating salaries in another 60 days. If the Terry deal is made official on September 15, his salary can be aggregated again on November 15.

Third, given that the Terry deal isn't official yet, there is time to roll it into a 3 or more team trade in which HOU takes in a bigger salary.

There are plenty of ways for the Rockets to take on money need be. Landing a top player isn't going to be easy but the reported Terry trade doesn't make it any less likely.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Uhh, neither

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

This makes no sense to me. In his prime Terry was one of the foremost Rocket Killers. He lit us up with regularity. But he is pushing forty, and I can't imagine him contributing other than a veteran presence. He actually has a lively and humorous personality. I don't get it.

14. bmd

bmd Member

Would you guys just let the man work...

[​IMG]

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets got 2 2nd round picks while not hurting itself much in terms of salary flexibility. Terry can either serve as a veteran shooter or have his expiring contract included in a trade just like these outgoing non-guaranteed deals can be.

It isn't a major deal but is one that makes sense.

16. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

I like the trade because we get 2 second round pics and Jason terry can play that backup point guard role that Lin played last year and he's also a vet so our bench is better know that we have troy Daniels who is a proven shooter d-mo a solid backup pf joey Dorsey a good defender of the bench while Dwight in foul trouble and kostats or Garcia at The back up 3
    Beverley/terry
    Harden/Daniels
    Ariza/kostats
    Jones/d-mo
    Dwight/dorsey

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Do you think a team is wanting terry as a player or a contract? Wouldn't they rather have non-guaranteed contracts vs an expiring one? No GM is thinking sweet...maybe NOW I can call Morey to see if I can get terry because before they didn't have jack to offer.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely hated that guy when he was on the Mavs, but a part of me always thought he would've been the perfect shooting PG to play alongside McGrady when we first acquired him. Now, years later, maybe he'll fill that role alongside Harden.

He has always had a knack for taking and making clutch shots, and I seem to remember he liked shooting in Toyota Center.

In my top three of all-time most despised Mavs for being Rocket killers (Harper, Blackman, and him), but hopefully he still has something left in the tank and can contribute either on the court, in the locker room, or in a larger trade!

19. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You are correct on all 3 points.

Though I really don't see the 1st or the 3rd point happening. I see this as Morey trading something of immediate value that was expiring for something that he can trade later...Nov15th or later...and get a couple of 2nds.

Non-guaranteed contracts are worth more than expiring contracts. So in a way we traded down..made up for it with the picks. If there was a pending trade for Dragic...or any big fish... in the future, we were in better shape before this trade indicating to me at nothing is pending.

#240 ArtV, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014