1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban: Every Bit of Me Wanted to Kick His Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 22, 2014.

1. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

As much as I despise Cuban, Mavs definitely improved a lot this off-season. I don't think if anyone had noticed, but Cuban is making his roster moves based on xRAPM.

Lets take a look:

[​IMG]

I selected top ten players by order of minutes played (MP). There were four players with negative or close to 0 xRAPM: Calderon, Marion, Delembert, and Blairs.

Guess what happened to them this off season? They are all gone! The only player with + value was 37-year old Carter.

The other players with clear + xRAPM are all still with the team.

The top 4 players (via traded or FA) Cuban acquired all had + value in xRAPM. Even their total minuted played almost matched the players he replaced.

Coincident? I think not!

We can dislike Mavs all we want, but they CLEARLY improved their roster. Every one of their top 10 players will likely have a positive impact on the court.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You're considering Felton a net positive, lol

The hilarious part is a lineup of Melo, Felton, JR Smith, Tyson Chandler provides +11 according to xRAPM

#142 Aleron, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The difference is that Nowitzki doesn't make the players around him better (really he never has). Harden facilitates the Rockets offense while still scoring more than Nowitzki and he's more efficient than Nowitzki too (.618 TS% vs .603 TS%).

As far as the playoffs, you might want to check the actual numbers. In last year's playoffs Nowitzki averaged 19.1 pts on .480TS% with 8.0 reb, 1.6 ast. Against Portland Harden averaged 26.8pts on .519 TS% with 4.7 reb and 5.8 ast.

Over the course of his entire career Nowitzki has a TS% of .579 in the playoffs while Haren's career playoff TS% is .583.

4. dragician

dragician Member

sounds like he put a gun on his head.

5. aelliott

You're basing your entire logic off of RAPM. RAPM also says that Lebron James is a negative defensively. Do you really believe that?

6. VBG

VBG Member

Lebron really coasted defensively last season

7. baubo

baubo Member

I have no idea why you randomly pulled up this stat, but according to this stat,

Vince Carter 4.3 xRAPM $4.3mil
    Jae Crowder 2.6 xRAPM $0.9mil
    Chandler Parsons 2.1 xRAPM $14.7mil

So if what you say is true, then Cuban screwed himself while trying to screw Morey.

1 person likes this.
  8. aelliott

Relative to the standard that we expect from Lebron maybe. Regardless, there's absolutely no way that he was an overall negative on the defensive end last season.

9. baubo

baubo Member

LeBron on/off court last season. Yes, I know not exactly the same, but it is the premise for which RAPM is based on.

On court defense 106.6
    Off court defense 104.5

I think you're mistaking LeBron's "ability to play defense" with his actual defense in the regular season. For reference to his "ability to play defense," here are his on/off court stats for the playoffs.

On court playoff defense 108.4
    Off court playoff defense 119.0

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yao has only been off of the books for 3 seasons now. DM gave Yao & TMac a supporting cast that could win in the play-offs and they did. They took out a very good Portland team and took the eventual NBA Champion LA Lakers to 7 games. Unfortunately Yao broke his foot at the end of the only game vs the Lakers (2nd round) he played in which the Rockets won on the road in LA.

So Daryl did put a team on the floor that could win in the Play-offs but he had no control over Yao's feet. Daryl has proven that he can build a team that can win in the play-offs and if his superstars had stayed healthy, the Rockets were one of the favorites to win the championship.

No GM is going to lose his two superstars (Yao & TMac) and completely tare down a team, rebuild and have 2 new players that are universally considered the best at the respective positions and both in the top 10 of players in the league in less than 24 months. No GM except Daryl Morey. I think he has earned more than one season with James Harden & Dwight Howard as the 2 superstars on the team before we declare him a failure.

So to say that Portlands situation has been worse than the Rockets is disingenuous and basically a lie. Yes Portland lost 1 superstar player (Brandon Roy) and another overrated player (Greg Oden) that never proved he was more than a back up, but they still had LMA to build around.

Houston lost 2 superstar players (Yao & TMac) that should have still been in the prime of their careers to injuries. Don't try and tell me that Portland's situation was worse because it most certainly was not. Both teams have done an admirable job rebuilding but even after the Rockets lost to the Blazers in a 7 game series I still would not trade rosters with the Blazers. Harden & Howard are better than Lillard & LMA IMO. We can argue about the rest of the two rosters if you want but at the end of the day they are all just role players.

Not even Dwight thought the Rockets were the favorites to win the NBA Championship last year after he signed, go back and listen to his interviews. I think the Rockets will be better this season for reasons that I lay out in another thread I started a few weeks ago. I think the Rockets will be more complete team this season for sure than the team they rolled out last season.

Furthermore, to judge Daryl Morey on his off season moves when the off season is not even over is exceptionally short sighted. The real grades will not be in until after the season, until then DM has a lot of ammo at his disposal to continue upgrading the roster.

1 person likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Cuban is a billionaire he can buy anything, the question is? why Parson was't offended that Cuban see him as an overpaid player too?

12. VBG

VBG Member

Basically this. The Heat were an elite offensive team with a massive slip on the defensive end mainly because of Lebron and Wade.

13. aelliott

No doubt that the Heats defense slipped last season but regardless Lebron wasn't a negative on the defensive end.

There's lots more examples just like that too. Do you really think that Gortat (3.7) is a much better defensive player than DPOY Noah (2.5)?

RAPM isn't a great measure.

14. Chamillionaire

He can't make other players better? Really? I disagree. The defense still focuses in him a lot allowing more open looks for others. Still one of the best shooters in the league.

15. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

You might want to go back and look at Dirk's stats in that series. All his shooting percentages dropped (8.3% on 3's). He did average 8 boards but that was bolstered by one game in which he had 15. He's still good....not great.

16. aelliott

Do you think teams are doubling Dirk? Do you think that Dirk is actually passing to open shooters?

Definitely a good shooter but he doesn't command double teams and he doesn't pass well .

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always maintained that there is no good stat to gauge individual defense, at least no public stat we have access to. The on-court-off-court numbers have too much noise to be accurate at all to judge a guy's defensive impact.

I doubt that Cuban relies solely on xRAPM to make his personnel decisions. I think he is more sophisticated than that.

18. deshen

deshen Member

Interesting. Cuban and his team won title and kept in playoffs every year, yet he signed chandler parsons for personal reason against Morey? for what?

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, no they are not. If anything, they are roughly equal and both teams should fall somewhere in the 4th-8th playoff seeds. If the Mavs do have an advantage it will be at the coaching level when Carlisle makes McHale look like a doorknob.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Mark Cuban: Hi. I'm Mark Cuban. I'm full of bluster, bravado, and bull****---the three B's! This summer, when I knew my chance at Carmelo Anthony was virtually nil, I signed Chandler Parsons to a deal that far exceeded his value. You could say I thanked Dirk Nowitzki for his loyalty by stealing six million dollars a year from him and adding it to Parsons' value as a player. But it worked! I screwed over Daryl Morey....and that's all that counts!

Dirk Nowitzki: Was? Sind Sie ernst? Sie tat das alles nur zu Chaos mit Daryl Morey? Sind Sie verrückt? Das war mein Geld!

Mark Cuban: Look, Dirk, who else was I gonna sign with the money, anyway?

Dirk Nowitzki: Eric Bledsoe noch verfügbar ist. Greg Monroe. Jemand, der zeigt zumindest einige Versprechen. Aber nein, man musste Herr Schöne in der Blue Oyster Bar unterzeichnen.

Mark Cuban: Okay, yeah, we signed in the Blue Oyster Bar. So what?

Dirk Nowitzki: Du gehst mir auf die Nerven. Ich wusste, ich sollte Daryl Morey Geld genommen haben. Nein, halt! Ich will nicht zu hören! Ich bin hier raus!