1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting JFF...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Airdough

Airdough Member

We have been spoiled by the instant success enjoyed by recent 1st round QBs that anyone not exhibiting those same traits is a bust. The norm before the Flaccos, Ryans, and Lucks of the world there was Aikman going 0-11 in 1989 (barely completing 50% of his passes with less than 1800 yards) or that it took Steve McNair 5 years to post a winning record.

JFF has not looked good but way too early to make a call as to whether or not he can succeed in the NFL.

2. Indaface

Indaface Member

I don't think anyone can make any reasonable expectations of Johnny yet, but I do find it funny when fans make up a million different excuses on why he didn't perform well/ overslurp a couple of decent plays to hype him up and ignore the 10 bad ones.

He hasn't played well but that also doesn't mean he's a bust.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

All the Aggies that moved to Cleveland will be so sad if he's not the starter.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obviously it's natural for a rookie QB to struggle early. The red flag to me is the lack of accuracy. Unless it's a mechanics thing I don't think that's something that really gets better. Steve McNair never really improved that accuracy. Although I guess if Manziel has a McNair type career a lot of people will be satisfied with it.

5. MystikArkitect

Some QBs get shell shocked when they see the speed of NFL LBs. Saw a play yesterday reminiscent of the one that got RG3 concussed where Johnny ran to the sideline expecting to turn up field only to see two Redskins already there with him and proceeded to throw him out of bounds.

Football IQ and instincts are everything. Talent means squat at that position.

6. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just sick of hearing him. This is like Tebow all over again but worse.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

^^^ I don't think so. Johnny has been a lot more entertaining.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Turn off ESPN. It's helped for me.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Every pass isn't going to be perfect and yea JF was off .. but to answer your question .. I expect guys getting paid millions to catch some less the perfect passes , especially when they have both hands on the ball .

[​IMG]

10. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Hoyer named starter.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That being said, there have been an excessive amount of first round busts over the last several years (even if some of those guys showed "flashes", none of them turned into a consistent prolonged starting QB)... and that has to weigh on everybody's mind when a QB seems to be more hype than substance.

Dating back to 2002:

David Carr
    Joey Harrington
    Patric Ramsey
    Byron Leftwich
    Kyle Boller
    Rex Grossman
    JP Losman
    Jason Campbell
    Vince Young
    Matt Leinart
    JaMarcus Russell
    Brady Quinn
    Mark Sanchez
    Josh Freeman
    Tim Tebow
    Jake Locker
    Blaine Gabbert
    Christian Ponder
    Brandon Weeden

(Jeez... the list is far worse than I thought it was when I planned on writing this... there are also several unknowns/incompletes that could be joining that list soon in Tannehill, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel...)

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True...but I would also expect a good QB to throw to that extremely open area in front of the receiver. Regardless of if the WR makes the catch, that's a very poorly thrown ball.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can't even beat Brian freaking Hoyer out for the gig and ESPN will still continue their daily circle-jerk over him.

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

JP Losman maaaaaaaan. Bad memories of that Bills game vs the Texans in 06 i believe

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Mark Sanchez may the best qb on this list.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can we drop the term circle jerk? That is some disgusting imagery.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm hoping they just stop covering the Browns now. Why be anything but transparent about it.

I see they're still running updates regarding josh Gordon and revisiting some week 1 browns QB performance history montages... Seriously?

He's not starting espn. U guys can go back to ignoring the franchise as you've done ever since they came back to the league.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am with you on that one. Also, will the news services stop giving ISIS so much photo coverage. If I were in the Whitehouse I would have already bombed them back to the stone age. Terrorizing the world with white pick up trucks, really.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Browns QB Johnny Manziel was fined $12,000 for flipping bird at Redskins bench Monday night, per league source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/502841845538627585">August 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>