1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Trade Jones, Gee, Covington, Johnson and Pelicans 1st for Dragic

Then trade Papanikolaou, Hopson, Powell, Capela and Canaan for West

Dragic, Beverley, Smith
    Harden, Daniels
    Ariza, Garcia
    West, Motiejunas, Adrian
    Howard, O'Neal, Dorsey

Sign a center with BAE (O'Neal, Okafor, Blatche) and re-sign Garcia with veteran minimum for wing depth.

Basically we'd acquire Dragic and West while keeping Beverley, Motiejunas and our full TPE (which we could use to acquire a backup wing), would be badass.

2. Nils

Nils Member

3. fattz

fattz Member

The defense is a given and we won't discuss it --> it just proves the point. It is a timing issue. As good as Harden is IMO he is not ready to be a champion, yet. Howard is now and his productivity window will close by the time Harden is ready --> thus they are not a good match. They are both good people / players / team members but at to different points in their careers.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thought of another ridiculous trade idea

Trade Covington, rockets 2015 second to the 76'rs for Jason Richardson(TPE).

Trade Richardson, Papanikolaou, Gee and Hopson to Nets for Deron Williams.

Trade Jones(or Motiejunas), Powell, Capela, Canaan(or Johnson) and Pelicans 2015 1st to Pistons for Greg Monroe(signed to QO).

Re-sign Garcia with veteran minimum, spend BAE on a front court player.

PG: Williams, Beverley, Smith
    SG: Harden, Daniels, Johnson
    SF: Ariza, Garcia
    PF: Monroe, Motiejunas, Adrian
    C : Howard, Dorsey

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

I assume you meant to the Pistons, not Pelicans for Greg Monroe, but anyways DWill is done. He can't stay healthy and is nowhere near an elite PG anymore. I Honestly would not want him on our team, especially with that contract...

6. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

sorry, misread your post in my previous reply.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No prob I misread stuff all the time.

About Williams, he's not as injury prone as he gets rep for

2006 - 80 games
    2007 - 80 games
    2008 - 82 games
    2009 - 68 games
    2010 - 76 games
    2011 - 65 games
    2012 - 55 games (out of 66) - Short season after lockout
    2013 - 78 games
    2014 - 64 games

Not bad right? I was expecting much worse, he's had a couple of little injuries here and there over the last 4 years but he has always stayed on the court and has been fairly healthy.

On his status of being elite or not, If you looks at his stats, it seems to me that it's very likely last season was just an off season for him, rather them him regressing.

2011 - 21 points, 10 assist, 4 rebounds on 46%
    2012 - 21 points, 9 assist, 3 rebounds on 41%
    2013 - 19 points, 8 assist, 3 rebounds on 44%
    2014 - 14 points, 6 assist, 2.5 rebounds on 45%

I honestly believe he'l score at least 17+ points and have 7+ assist next season, I don't think he's fallen off, just was a bad year for him. Plus the nets are a crazy team, bringing in Pierce, Garnett, Lopez always being injured, weak coaching, whole team was in a funk this season, little injuries, It's easy to see why Williams would have an off season.

His contract is crazy, but, if we are able to get him for expirings, non guaranteed, and very few assets, why not? In my opinion, I see him staying reasonably healthy (65 games at least), and having a bounce back season next year averaging around 16-18 points, with 7-8 assist next year.

8. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

That may be the case, but he just had ankle surgery on both ankles, and any small ankle tweak will sideline him/hinder his effectiveness significantly. Also, although he may have played in a significant number of games the past few years, he was often playing through injuries and was ineffective.

Last season, the Nets often decided to put the ball into Livingston's hands throughout the games and have the offense run through him, while Williams played off-ball because he was ineffective as both a scorer and floor general for large portions of the season.

The other issue is, I don't see him as pushing us over the top, and he hinders any future flexibility to acquire another star player that would push us into title contention.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I feel like Williams as our third star (If he can put in 65+ games, average 16+ points and 6+ assist), and an upgrade at PF would push us over the top.

I would only try for Williams if we strike out on Dragic, Bledsoe, Rubio etc first. Thing is with trading for Williams, he could probably be had for just expirings and non guranteed contracts. So we could probably keep Jones, Motiejunas, our rookie's Capela, Johnson and the Pelicans 1st. So we'd basically stil have all of our assets, and our possible 3rd star.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Williams won't be able to guard anyone with those weak ankles, nor can he be relied upon in a 82 game season plus the playoffs. He is not capable of being a 3rd star.

11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Williams and Bev would be a helluva PG combination. Could possibly cut Williams' minutes down in the regular season to have him fresh for the playoffs.

naaasty contract though. $22 million per year and an ETO in 2016/17

12. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

you know he won't be using that ETO lol... keep cashin them checks as my boy Jalen Rose always says haha

13. Play07

Play07 Member

Celtics in - Capela
    Rockets in - Bass

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Bass or Ilyasova then do whatever you need to do to get dragic here, without giving up H & H & ariza.

dragic
    harden
    ariza
    Ilyasova OR BASS
    Howard

this team can contend, of course coaching will have to be better.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Tjones,NOP pick+Capela+Canaan+Covington+Gee+Hopson+future first for Milsap(TE), Korver and Teague.

This lets Atlanta rebuild and makes us very deep.

Howard/Dorsey
    Milsap/DMO
    Ariza/Korver
    Harden/Daniels
    Teague/Bev

16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think Milsap's contract is larger than TPE

17. Hourockets22

Hourockets22 Member

Trade for Ilyasova.

Ilyasova is a perfect fit for this team.

18. rogower

rogower Member

Donatas Motiejunas is most likely (IMO) going to be traded for a future second round pick at some point over the next several weeks. Advanced stats dislike Motiejunas.

Also:

Philly will gladly give away Jason Richardson, you do not need to include anything remotely valuable. Richardson is done.

You cannot package players with the TPE. You can attach draft picks, though.

Brandon Bass is an obsolete player type, i.e., an undersized PF who can rebound but cannot a) "protect the rim" or b) shoot from three point land. Daryl Morey has zero interest in this sort of player.

Deron Williams is no longer a star but is being paid like one. Morey will have zero interest.

Stop making Goran Dragic trade proposals, Phoenix is not interested in trading him

Phoenix will, however, entertain Eric Bledsoe trade proposals, as the two sides are very far apart. Very good chance he gets traded in the relatively near future. Houston makes sense as a trade partner.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Trading Motiejunas for a 2nd after we have waited this long to develop him would be a large mistake IMO.

20. rogower

rogower Member

This sort of thinking gets teams in a lot of trouble. Many teams will even give a disappointing player a large second contract, after the rookie contract is up, simply because they feel like they have so much invested. Big, big mistake. At some point, it's time to cut bait. If a player has not put it all together by age 24 then it is highly unlikely that it's ever going to happen. I can think of zero examples of a guy sucking through the age of 24 (and Motiejunas has sucked thus far, sorry, guys) and later turning into a good player.

Fortunately, Daryl Morey does not make many mistakes, and is extremely unsentimental regarding his own players. Further, and this is a point that most Rockets fans are missing, Jeff Adrien IS A BETTER PLAYER than Motiejunas. Advanced stats LOVED Jeff Adrien last season and Morey is very big on advanced stats. Meanwhile, Motiejunas was one of the worst players in the league last season from an advanced stats standpoint. Oh, and plus,the team clearly intends on Kostas Papanikolaou inheriting the role occupied by Carlos Delfino in 2012-13, and then there is Robert Covington, who played great for the Rockets' d-league team last season.

Thus, since Motiejunas probably has SOME trade value, and does not appear to have a future (or even a present) in Houston, the logical move is to trade him for the best draft pick you can get.