1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Game 2] Texans vs Falcons

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The collapse of Matt Schaub is very likely going to cost the Texans 3 seasons (2013, 2014, 2015) and a playoff run (2012). It is the one position you cannot screw-up. If they didn't like any of the guys in this past draft, it makes zero sense to potentially cost your franchise additional years by trying to jam one of the square pegs into a round hole.

2. Airdough

Airdough Member

Every QB comes with risks and there's no guarantee they get their guy next year unless the get the 1st pick in the draft again.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if they get the 1st pick next year, there's still no guarantee that they get the right guy.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mariota, Winston, Petty, Hundley, sleeper.

We will get our guy.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

this^

astros are a prime example.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's still no justification for settling for a QB. In fact, it's a really terrible way to run a franchise. Do you really want the Texans to be the Jags or Vikings, lighting a first round pick on fire every 2-3 years because you have to draft *another* QB?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

only if he has the right height and build. . .that is most important

Rocket River

8. Airdough

Airdough Member

I never said waste a 1st round pick just to get a QB. You can take a QB in round 2 or 3 or at least someone who isn't a complete project. Take a QB early (within 1st 3 rounds) and if one isn't there you like, then don't spend a 4th round pick on a project just because he has the right height and build (4th round picks are useful for providing depth).

The Texans have planted their flag as saying this will be the worst QB draft class in the history of the NFL (this crop wasn't 1983 but odds favor at least one of these guys have a career good enough to lead a team to the playoffs).

Like you said, QB is the most important position so hopefully the right QB is there next year but the only way you get your pick of who you think will be right is once again to capture the 1st pick in the draft.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Maybe O'Brien feels differently about that 4th round picked quarterback than you do. We're going to have to wait and see.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

These guys all have the protypical size besides Mariota in the weight dept. He will be long gone probably so it's a moot point.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Fair enough, but let me ask you something. The last game Fitzpatrick had the "good" numbers, but did he look good? Honestly, did he look as good as Keenum? To me, objectively, Keenum looked more confident, his passes were more accurate, and he stayed in the pocket something he has been criticized for not doing. Yes, still a bit of the riverboat gambler by forcing that interception into coverage. But you know what, that was a catchable ball, right on the money. Glad to hear Fitzpatrick is a nice guy, but is he really better than Keenum? I was hoping the Texans would have done better on getting a veteran backup, but I suppose they didn't get their first choice whoever that might have been.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I thought Fitzpatrick looked a lot better. At the end of the day, the most important job for the QB is to help the offense score points. Two of Fitzpatrick's three drives ended in TDs (including one with only 1:30 left in half), so yes, he did a pretty damn good job. As opposed to Keenum, who guided his team to 3 points out of even more snaps. I think "looking confident" is in the eye of the beholder. I'd rather judge by results, and through that lens, Fitz was by far the best QB on the field Saturday.

Now, if you want to argue that Fitzpatrick was a disaster in Week 1 of the preseason and that we should be more cautious, go right ahead. That's fair. But Fitzpatrick was definitely the better QB on Saturday and has a more proven career track record. It's a track record of mediocrity, certainly, but I don't think anyone really believes that either of these two guys is a long-term answer. We're just trying to find the guy most capable of being a mediocre stop-gap for a year or two, and there's more evidence in the Fitzpatrick column.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

How can you say you watched objectively when you clearly stated earlier in this thread that you were biased? Why does it matter how confident Keenum looked? His confidence is also what causes him to force the ball into double coverage, as well as ignore the wide open check down route that would have netted a solid 8 yards on the play. If the Texans wanted a riverboat gambler to be their starting quarterback this season, they would have signed Micheal Vick.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Yes, I actually like that style of play and I am Vick fan (except the dog thing of course). He might have been a good choice, but he obviously wasn't the Texan's choice or style I suppose.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

lol, so the astros not signing their #1 pick is relatable to drafting a qb that busts.. the astros get a do over next year for not signing aiken, drafting a bust qb might cost you 3-4 years.. dont see the comparison youre trying to make..

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasted picks are wasted picks.

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

its not wasted when you get it back the next year in addition to your normal pick.. as it stands right now the astros own the 2015 #2 and #4 pick.. completely different situations..

18. Remii

Remii Member

And what do you think Fitzpatrick has been his entire career...?
    You've seen his interception totals right...???

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

lol really .. Fitz is an interception machine .. keenun , Fitz it doesn't matter . I'd be more interested in seeing who gets cut from another team

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member