1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ABORTION

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Feb 12, 2014.

1. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

How so? Like to hear your thoughts on exactly HOW....low cost birth control has no impact on Abortion rates......

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, they're not, they're irrevocably intertwined. The fact that you don't seem to understand that says all that needs to be said about you on this topic.

I didn't cite any evidence, I referenced Dubious' evidence which clearly shows that increased access to birth control can and does decrease unwanted pregnancies, even in the highest risk group: teenagers.

Note how this "kid" absolutely destroys every attempt you make at debate.

Try again, rookie.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

But easier or lower access also means new users and/or more frequent users which also means more failures which means more unwanted pregnancies which means more abortions.

Probably an overall decrease (hard to calculate) but there is this seamy side as well.

4. GladiatoRowdy

The life of a "baby" is protected.

Yes, it is a difficult moral question, one that most Americans feel comfortable allowing the woman to make a choice about rather than forcing their views and moral codes on another person.

You are, in advocating for a ban on abortion, you are trying to exert control over another person based on your personal moral code.

They are facing those consequences, no matter their choice.

I don't believe you actually want women to "suffer," not directly. However, you do want to force them to use their uterus to bring a fetus to term, which does include a certain level of suffering.

5. GladiatoRowdy

Don't hold your breath, he won't answer.

6. GladiatoRowdy

Bullsh!t. This is the same argument against regulating the sales of currently illicit drugs and it falls just as flat. Everyone in America who wants to use drugs or have sex is doing so. There may be a few people who are dissuaded by the illegality of drugs or the risk of pregnancy, but that number is minuscule (since we are just throwing out blanket statements without proof, mine stands just as strong as yours).

The EVIDENCE shows that increasing access to birth control DRAMATICALLY decreased the number of unwanted pregnancies in Colorado. This flies in the face of your unfounded assertion.

7. giddyup

I'm about protecting innocent human fetus-baby-life.... :)

8. GladiatoRowdy

You're about taking away women's choices regarding their own reproductive health.

9. giddyup

I've admitted to that. There are greater issues at stake-- the life of a fetus/baby/child/...

10. GladiatoRowdy

Nope, the greater issue in a free society is personal freedom.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I feel a breakthrough coming here!!

12. giddyup

What issue is greater than right to life? I rest my case.

13. GladiatoRowdy

Personal freedom is FAR more important. It is good that you decided to give it a rest.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Read what I stated carefully - it's narrow - to those folks that are pro-life and yet are against birth control. Against birth control is a religious belief that is stronger than protecting a life as a life is not at risk when birth control succeed and unwanted pregnancy is avoided. But clearly, reducing that risk is not as important as pushing a religious belief onto others.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you really thought abortion was murder you would require all sexually active people to use birth control. Maybe make it a crime to conceive a child out of wedlock, Culpable Negligence.

Maybe you just license people to have sex, they take a course and pass a test on the biology of conception and safe sex.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You definitely wouldn't allow for it in cases of rape or incest.

17. giddyup

All of you who support the "less than human" description for babies in utero, were you fine with that definiton when it was used with Native Americans, Chinese laborers or African Americans?

That's a fine tradition you are carrying on.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't understand your logical progression. If you thought stabbing someone in the heart was murder (which it is) would you outlaw knives? Require all chef's to use only food processors? Make it a crime to slice pizza without use of a pizza cutter? License people to cook, they must complete a course at the culinary academy to be allowed access to their own kitchen? Of course not, none of those things have anything to do with taking a human life, it is the murdering that is the problem, not the legitimate, tangentially related activities.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, arguably the swimmers you unleash after watching dwarf BDSM are murdered as well, they're about as viable as most embryonic life. I believe that's what he's referring too.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

He didn't make a single reference to masturbation, nor did he suggest criminalizing condoms, so I am pretty sure that is not to what he is referring. Sperm are also not a complete genetic code, they are half. It is only in combination with an egg that the genetic code for a new human has been completed.